BIG UT vs little ut

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Chop, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Tenn is playing some tight D. Causing us some shot clock management issues. Still hanging with them half way through the first half.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I was mixed over bailor /arkie outcome
    Still respect Barnes
    But GO HORNS:bevo:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Funny they showing rowing during little t promo.
    Horns are National Champs

• Like Like x 1
  4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Remind me why Barnes left?

5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Needed that time out

6. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

F SEC basketball
    ESPN whores

7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Carr is having a rough day.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

Dick Vitale spends the whole time telling as many stories as he can and dropping names. Which he would focus on the UT game.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Rick's halftime interview was as respectful as we could want. I will ALways like him
    But Damn Horns get it together!

10. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Not where I can watch - thanks for any updates!

GO BIG UT :hookem:

11. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

*** whipping in progress 61-39 TN

• WTF? WTF? x 2
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not much analysis to be done. One team came to play, the other couldn't win the Y league.

Lucky you. Store this one away to use the next time your presence is required during a game. Remind her that she made you miss the nationally televised "showdown" against the #4 team in the nation. Should be good for at least one if not two times.

• Hot Hot x 1
  13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Texas has quietly gotten back in the game. Down 22 points but now only 11 down at 69-58.

14. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Vitale sucks. He thinks people watch to see him, not the game.

al McGuire was the very best color man who knew the event was the game, not him. I miss Al.

• Winner Winner x 3
  15. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Remember when I said Texas wouldn't be able to make dramatic comebacks against good teams? Probably not, but tonight is a great example. They really tried, but Tennessee was too good to give it up.

Tex 71
    Tenn 82

16. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

You do not comeback by shooting, you do it with stops.

we did NOT play good D.

Tenn shot 55% from the field and 32% from 3.

we cannot out shoot most top 25 teams so the key is we MUST play good D. Beard knew that.
    Not sure our interim coach does.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  17. mmsnake

mmsnake 250+ Posts

We don’t play good defense since beard. He demanded it or you sit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Quote of these season: "Vitale sucks!" Self qualifying statement. Nothing more need be said.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  19. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Can't have 6-minute stretches with zero points. I'm actually kind of surprised Barnes let up on their team defense in the 2nd half.

Losing Mitchell for long stretches like that hurts a ton. Bishop was ok. Tennessee is just a much deeper frontcourt.

Hunter continues to prove more and more that his Gonzaga game was a fluke. I just don't understand why he can't seem to regain that kind of presence on the floor.

20. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

I looked at this as a likely loss and an opportunity game (i.e. get huge win on road against highly ranked opponent when you probably should have lost). Don't dwell too much on this as Horns are still very well situated and cannot let this one impact the next game as they have to beat Baylor Monday so one loss doesn't turn into two.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  21. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Beard would call TO’s to stop opponents scoring momentum.
    Also Beard had set plays after a TO which almost always scored. And then he often pressed after that quick score.
    Beard was more creative, had more tools in his coaching toolbox than Terry.
    Oh well, it is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Can't stand Vitale. You're correct about his egomania and belief in his celebrity. His rhymes are pathetic. He's a loudmouth blowhard (is that redundant). He is biased towards the Northeast and chums up with the name coaches. I've not watched a game in years (other than UT and maybe the championship game) in large part because of him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Hey! We should hire Rick Barnes! Oh... wait... never mind.

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Rick is a much better coach than Terry. Period, the end.
    :deadhorse:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Rick ALWAYS had a good, true PG.

I do not think we have had one since Rick left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Not sure I'd say "always," considering it was Taylor and Felix that last Barnes season. We couldn't get Myles Turner the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I wouldn't use "always" either.

He had TJ Ford, and he had DJ Augustin. They were spectacular.
    He had Gibson and Bradley who were very good (all 4 played in the NBA, but not all were equally productive in college).

With that said, I understand where @old65horn is coming from, and I don't generally disagree with his sentiment. Shaka never had a point guard the caliber of any of those guys, and it seems we have had a whole lot of combo guards come through the program in the last 7-8 years rather than true points.

I like all three of our primary guys this year, but none of them have really stood out as true stud-muffin point guards who demand that type of respect from the opponent.

28. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

guess I got caught again
    ok, got caught again exaggerating by using “always”. I was trying to point out that Barns system required a good PG and emphasized that in his recruiting. Felix was not a PG but really a combo.

I thought Taylor WAS a good PG. Smart had Coleman after a bad year of Roach trying to fill the ball handling with terrible results. He was not even a combo but was a SG. However, I thought we relied On Colemans scoring too much which took away from his assists.

I thought TN had a very good PG which brought back Barns time at Texas and the good PGs he had here.

I would say Barns had good PGs much more often than not. Sorry about using “always”.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No need to apologize. It spurred a good discussion, and a nice trip down memory lane.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Another way that Barnes screwed us over towards the end of his tenure was the constant threat of getting "caught"...
    Kabongo
    T. Thompson
    McClellan
    J'Covan
    Lewis
    Ibeh
    Eric Davis (recruited him but played for Shaka)

We're lucky these situations never resulted in anything more than "so-and-so never made Texas aware of these actions" and we got away with actions that helped other teams get bigger punishments.

• Agree Agree x 1