Big XII Baseball Tournament

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, May 24, 2021.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Tsunami!!!!

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Single and a fielding error otherwise 1st and 3rd. 3 hits in a row.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Generous scoring in the pressbox

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

"Earned" or" Unearned," it's still a run and shows up on the scoreboard!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Very true. One of the biggest problems with this team is they rarely put the pressure on the opponent.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

4-4 top 7

7. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

1-2-3 top of the 7th.

8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

4-4, going to the 9th

• Like Like x 1
  9. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Nixon loads them up and walks in go-ahead run with 2 outs. We're down 4-5. Still 2 outs.

10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

2 straight BB’s to walk in a run.

11. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Strikes out the next batter. Down one going to bottom of the 9th.

12. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Nixon got behind both 3-0. It was ugly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Last ball thrown on 3-2 count to walk in run could be the difference maker.

14. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Strike 3 looking to end the game... we lose 4-5.

• poop poop x 1
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Crappy weekend for a National seed, I must say.

16. stevedallas

stevedallas 500+ Posts

Wait, what? Struck out looking? How incredibly odd

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. FourHorner

FourHorner 100+ Posts

If I don't ever see another incredulous look at a called third strike, I won't miss it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

We will need better hitting to get out of our regional. Was Melendez benched?

19. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

20. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

TCU leads K State 10-7 in the seventh inning, winner plays Okie State tomorrow in one game winner take all for conference tournament title.

21. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

Pierce said Melendez wasn't in the lineup because he had been throwing up

22. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

TCU now up 17-7 in the 8th so run rule is again invoked and the Frogs and Cowpokes will play tomorrow for tournament title. I don’t think Okie State has enough of a record to be playing themselves into a one seed at a regional but they will be a tough 2 for someone.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  23. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Thanks for updates during the day. Disappointed to learn thecGorns lost a close one and wont make it to the finals in the tourney. Driving out of town all day for week of much needed vacation with family.

Let's get it done in the CWS!!!

Hook 'Em!!! :hookem:

24. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

^Drive safely, WorsterMan - hope you and your family have a terrific vacation!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

The two things I absolutely HATE happening in either a baseball or softball game.

1) Walk in the winning run
    2) Strike out looking and to pour salt in the wound it also ended the game.

I would rather throw a strike and hope the defense can make a play in that situation. You can't chance "painting the corner", just throw a strike. Also, I would strike out swinging befire standing there looking hoping the ump calls a ball. Just a pathetic ending.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Ummmmm! You were on board when the woke police chastised me for disgruntlement over the “lookers”. As a fan from the fifties, how dare me be critical. Perhaps ‘ol Chin ain’t so evil and dumb. So here is the question for the woke sunshine pumpers. Accepting the fact that there have been better offensive days, do you think the actions by hitters at the plate during the last few games, if continued, will serve them well in Omaha, if they get there. Personally I think it gets corrected. At least I hope so. And it must.
    Love my Horns.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  27. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I was on board about what? I don't believe I posted anything about you being critical of team strikeouts. My post about ending the game watching the ball go by is not the same thing as you saying we have a huge strike out problem which we don't.

Texas ranks 145th in strikeouts at 8.5 per game. The worst team in the country is Miss State at 12.4 per game.

Here's how the tournament went for us this week:

7 vs WVU and lost
    17 vs OU and won
    14 vs WVU and won
    9 vs OSU and lost

Our two biggest strike out games were are two wins which makes zero sense to me but it is what it is. The two losses were about our average.

So when it comes to making it to Omaha, I think its more about getting hits at critical times than it is the number of strike outs we have. We just can't leave the bases loaded, get nothing for it and expect to win.

Oh, and someone disagreeing with you doesn't make them woke. You might want to ask your grandchildren how to better apply that word. :smile1:

28. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Yea. A bit of misuse of the early and the pure meaning of the word, but it is getting bounded around as to it’s association with the cancel culture movement. As so often happens it will probably eventually become broader in it’s use. Disagreement was not the issue. Canceling my observation because I had not watched all year was the issue. And my comment was based on taking, specifically the third strike. Not the bigger issue of strike outs. That’s all.

You are a good poster and good for your board. Me, I’ll just wait for football.

29. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

It’s all about context. If you had made your comments at the end of 2019, when the team finished in last place (and didn’t even make the B12 tourney), I probably would have agreed with you. But this team was the co-champion of the B12 and the #1 seed in the tourney, so I think they’ve earned the benefit of the doubt.

For whatever reason, they struggled to score runs against West Virginia this weekend after hanging 30 runs on them last weekend (might have scored even more, but we run-ruled them last Sunday). Melendez, our best hitter, only got one hit in the first 3 games of this tourney, and didn’t play in the 4th (I heard he was under the weather).

You made a glib comment that implied the team was bunch of losers (after admitting that this was the first time you’d watch them all season), so I unloaded on you. I stand by my comments, even though I made them after a couple of cocktails and was feeling cranky. :hookem:

30. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

You keep digging deeper. Nothing about that post suggested loser. It was about the bats and if you read my prior post it was about taking on a third strike. I am afraid that you need more than cocktails to justify your twisted thinking to get losers out of my comment. I did say lookers. Did your blurred vision see that for losers? Good rule, don’t drink and drive and don’t drink and internet.
    I am out. I am surprised that Sabre hangs on this board. Besides. It’s time for good single malt and my rule is no internet while drinking.