BigXII OK with 9 in 2012?

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by jctex, Nov 3, 2011.

1. jctex

jctex 25+ Posts

Either TV is OK with only 9 teams or MIzzou is here for 2012. This is bizarre to me. From the AP . . .

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- A spokesman for the Big 12 says West Virginia's membership in the conference isn't conditional on the university getting an early release from the Big East after all.

Interim Big 12 Commissioner Chuck Neinas had said at a welcome reception Tuesday in Morgantown that a 10th member was needed for next season to fulfill the conference's television commitments.

On Wednesday, Big 12 spokesman Bob Burda released a statement saying the Mountaineers' membership "is not contingent upon (them) joining the Conference for the 2012-13 season." He did not elaborate.

The Big East has said it plans to keep West Virginia from leaving for 27 months under the league's bylaws. West Virginia filed a lawsuit against the Big East on Monday, seeking to declare the bylaws invalid.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

2. Little Earl

Little Earl 100+ Posts

I think that is exactly why Missouri hasn't announced yet. They can't leave without a 10th team in place, or they could be held liable for the lost TV revenues that would result from less than 10 teams in the conference.

3. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

4. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

The problem is not so much the 2012 season (because I think Mizzou will have to stay), IMO, but the 2013 season. If Big East rules require WVU to stay 27 months (and those rules are upheld/enforced), then the Mountaineers won't be able to join the Big 12 until January 2014.

5. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

If West Virginia can't play in 2013, I think the Big 12 will force Missouri to stay until we have 10 members. As it is now, there's no way Missouri leaves in 2012.

6. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

I don't see how we can force MU stay for 'x' more years and yet let A&M go.

Out of fairness both MU and A&M should be let go now, or both should stay until they are replaced (or as long as the bylaws set forth).

7. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

True, but Missouri's attempt to jump to the SEC will drop the Big 12 below ten members. The Big 12 was successful in getting TCU into the conference in time to play for year 2012 (replacing A&M). However, with the legal development involving West Virginia, that is not the case. The Big 12 does not yet have a "legal" replacement for Missouri, so I'd guess we will have a legal dilemma ahead to resolve.

I doubt Ken Starr wants to have Baylor take a financial hit because of Missouri.

8. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

The Big 12 bylaws allow teams to exit when they want with the exit fee varying depending on how much notice is given. There is no minimum notice period required like there is in the Big East (27 months).

Big12 Bylaws

Less than 6 months notice - 100% of final 2 yrs worth of shared revenues
    6 months to 12 months notice - 90%
    12 to 18 months notice - 80%
    18 to 24 months notice - 70%
    24 months or more motice - 50%

The wording and intent of this part of the Bylaws (Section 3) is confusing and considered by some to be legally unenforeable. That makes the negotiated reduced exit fee settlements more likely.

9. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

SEC announces addition of Mizzou effective July 1, 2012 so they fall in the 90% exit fee category. The question remains 90% of what.

10. nwking

nwking 250+ Posts

Seems to me those that exit should be accountable to manage through any tv contract problems they are the ones in breach of the agreement. Not the remaining members...

11. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

nwking: I agree with you. I think the point Santafe was alluding to above, however, is that with 10 members, the TV contract remains unaffected.

That is, TV agreed to leave the "12-member plus playoff" contract alone after NU and CU left last year so long as the league maintained at least 10 members.

The only way there would be money damages, therefore, is if the league fell below 10 members next year. Hence the need to hold MU to the Conference even if AM is allowed to leave.