Bill Powers

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by ShinerTX, May 11, 2012.

1. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

The Houston Chronicle had a column this morning saying that Rick Perry is going to run off Bill Powers. I cannot tell you how mad this makes me. Anyone "in the know" on here?

2. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

I have no inside knowledge of this issue. I do have knowledge that Rick perry is a grade A douche bag. Nothing that comes out on this story will surprise me.

3. Satchel

Satchel 2,500+ Posts

And conservatives have made him the longest serving governor in the history of Texas. You have only yourselves to blame.

4. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

Rick Perry, Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, John Boener, etc...

Remind me again why this country is going down a ********.

5. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Chancellor denies the rumors

Here's one article from the online Chronicle. I cannot find the opinion column I was referencing.

Bag, go spew your garbage someplace else unless you have something useful to contribute.

6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

7. SomeMildLanguage

SomeMildLanguage 500+ Posts

Basically, Paul Burka is the laziest "journalist" in Texas. The alleged firing was never going to happen. The whole thing is bogus. That being said, can anyone explain to me what Bill Powers has actually done or what he actually stands for that makes people want to rally around him?

To me, this whole trumped up kerfuffle is people wanting to defend UT against an Aggie. Great. That's a good impulse. But it's simpleminded and shows a lack of critical thinking. The sheer volume of gullibility from so many people believing this poorly-sourced, shoddy blog post from Burka is what galls me.

8. Satchel

Satchel 2,500+ Posts

Higher education in Texas needs to be shielded from the aggy governor, that's for damn sure.

9. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Not sure about the Perry influence, but different story regarding the BOR. I thought they were spineless when they stripped the Simkins brother names from the University, now they are spineless for not showing Powers the door.

It's called being too "big for your britches". Powers requested his tuition plan and the BOR(his bosses) did not approve.
    That is the BOR decision and responsibility. Powers then called the BOR (his bosses) out in public.
    If one of my manager's did this, it would be a very quick trip to the unemployment line. We are talking hours.
    But not to worry, as I said the BOR is spineless.

As for Powers there are plenty of alums that would like to see him exit. Alot of us have problems with him.

10. OrangeOsoFu

OrangeOsoFu 100+ Posts

President Powers enjoys support from 99%+ of the Exes I know. He has helped the University make huge strides in so many areas it is really too numerous to list. Under his leadership he has Texas poised to become "The #1 Public University in the Country."

11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

12. Gone To Texas

Gone To Texas 500+ Posts

13. hooklahoma

hooklahoma 1,000+ Posts

14. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

I think Bill Powers has done a good job overall advocating for the University on academic, financial and athletic matters. He is almost certainly one of the better known and respected public university presidents in the country. No one is saying that Powers walks on water (only Tim Tebow can, right?), but he has provided a consistent voice and stabilizing leadership in an era when things (e.g. budgets, conference alignment, etc.) can change in the blink of an eye.

The hullabaloo (caneck caneck) over Bill Powers' rumored hot seat has to do with:
    (1) Political interference from the governor (through his political appointees) over the vision and direction of Texas' flagship university, and
    (2) The added flashpoint that said governor is an Aggie.

If and when Bill Powers steps down as UT's President, I sure as heck don't want it to be because Texas' governor was trying to even a political score.

15. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

The problem is that the people presently in charge of the Texas Exes have become a shill for Powers. The "Legislative Advocacy" is nothing more than a mouthpiece for Powers. I am a Life member and so are many others that do not agree with the legislative stances. Especially his budget cuts and admission policy. Instead of leading a progressive change to color blind admission, he is spending over a million(s?) to prolong a racist admission policy. He has cut 3.5 Million in the Liberal Arts college including Proffessors and TAs. I heard that UT is no longer offering classes in western European history due to the cuts.(?) And yet Powers has no problem funding yearly salaries for:
    International Office 96 employees $3,244,608.00
    University Charter School 182 employees $8,500,128.00
    Office of Special Projects 60 employees $,2,562,180.00
    UT Elementary School 39 employees $1,784,952.00
    Diversity & Co Serv 70 employees $3,470,740.00

So when Powers cut the budget, he cut Proffesors and Teaching Assistants and closed classes?

I am 100% for spending our money for student education and research, especially for undergraduates that have only have a short window of 4 to 5 years to experience the best education possible. That means when a president of the University of Texas has to make budget cuts, it damn sure shouldn't be at the expense of undersgraduate studies or research.
    The cuts should be from the above examples of unnecessary fluff. Yes, we can do without running an elementary school, or a charter school or a department that exists to warn students about offensive Halloween costumes etc.
    Instead Powers cut 835,000 from the college of education and 3.5 million from Liberal Arts and other colleges across the board, thus directly affecting the education of the students.
    No one really has to worry about Powers being canned as the BOR is a spineless group that will take no action.

16. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

If I could get my Life Membership money back, I would make that request.

17. Satchel

Satchel 2,500+ Posts

Some of you won't be satisfied until there are no Tier One schools in Texas.