Black Lives Matter; The Cerebral Warlords of Our Time

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by iatrogenic, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

It's codifying historical ignorance; the passage of the 13th Amendment being the Emancipation Holiday would make far more sense.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

This was posted on the local US Department of Defense Education Activity school Facebook page. It's full of inaccuracies that I hope they aren't teaching to children (though they likely are). What happened on Juneteenth didn't free slaves even across the Confederacy, much less the United States, because the Emancipation didn't apply nationwide. Lincoln didn't have that kind of authority. The ratification of the 13th Amendment ended slavery in the United States.

So why is Juneteenth a federal holiday? Basically, because a bunch of white liberals culturally and eventually legally appropriated a holiday made by and for black Texans to celebrate something specific to black Texans because the name of the holiday "sounded ethnic." Then they made up a false narrative about it to make it about what they wanted it to be about so they could celebrate and give themselves unearned moral points for it. In other words, they stole something from black Texans to make themselves look righteous. They pulled a Lady Antebellum.

IMG-20220619-WA0002.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

That is sad because whoever wrote that believed it to be true and was too lazy to research.
    I know there are students reading that who go"Wait a minute. Why don't people celebrate when it was signed by Lincoln instead of waiting 2.5 years?"

• Like Like x 3
  4. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Wow. Most kids are on summer break today so they aren't learning that falsity now, but they'll surely learn it next Black History Month. The benefit I guess of Juneteeth is that it falls in a month which had no federal holidays. 13th Amendment Day would either be December 6 or December 18. Annoying to have it so close to Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Anyone see what CNN had on last night for it? "Juneteenth: A Global Celebration of Freedom" - how in the world does an announcement in Texas equate to global freedom?!?

Because that day is already a federal holiday - New Year's Day. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised to see New Year's Day repealed and Emancipation Proclamation Day created.

5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I have no problem with Juneteenth being celebrated, but we shouldn't create a fake story about it to fit a political narrative. It's uniquely Texan, but if that's acknowledged, then it makes little sense to make it a federal holiday and doesn't give white liberals the ability to wrap themselves up in something with an ethnic-sounding name.

It would take effort and cost for me to watch CNN from the UK, and I'm just not going to do that. As for their Juneteenth program, I'm sure it was as absurd as one would expect from CNN.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

I'm also not complaining about Juneteenth. I was commenting on the story of it's made up origin!

Interestingly, my multinational employer who's headquartered in New York sent an email last week entitled "Taking time to recognize Juneteenth" so of course I mentally prepared for Friday or Monday to be a new company holiday. The email stated that it's to celebrate the end of slavery but never mentioned Texas or that it was the arrival of news. (To it's credit, it did say the 13th Amendment later is what abolished slavery.) Then it closed with take time off on Friday afternoon, as your schedule allows, to learn about Juneteenth. Gee, thanks.

I can't comment on the CNN show - just flabbergasted that it morphed into a "global celebration."

• Like Like x 1
  7. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

The problem is they federalized Juneteenth which is only something that is relevant to and unique to Texas. What they did is stupid.

Now Pride Month on the other hand. That is evil.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Now we need to end women suffrage.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I've got news for you. The boat sailed on that a long time ago. lol Having said that I've known two women in my life who said they would give up their voting rights if all women lost the right to vote. They were pretty unusual women.

10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

? If all women lost the right to vote of course they would give up their voting rights.
    Kinda makes no sense.
    But interesting I guess.

11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

What they meant was that they'd be willing to give up their voting rights to deny them to other women.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I bet they would not say that to a group of women unless they had their escape route planned.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Probably not. They only said it when it was otherwise a sausage fest.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

This was sent to me.Politically insensitive?

Every few years, Fathers Day and Juneteenth fall on the same day. It leaves white people wondering what Juneteenth is and black people wondering what a father is.

15. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Could have been worse...after all, a Children's Museum did a "Juneteenth Watermelon Salad" as part of their Juneteenth Jamboree...
    Children’s museum apologizes after selling 'Juneteenth watermelon salad’

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

A $10.00 watermelon salad is not exactly a steal.

17. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Voting, before the women's suffrage, was still very much influenced by women. Back in the day, men focused on work and protecting their family in the day to day. They didn't have as much time to think about politics. It was very common I heard for husbands to basically vote for who their wives told them to. The more you know.

18. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

I heard it funny this way. When only men were allowed to vote, we got George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. When men and women were allowed to vote, we got Donald Trump and Joe Biden. So hmm, what changed?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Facing Addiction

Facing Addiction 1,000+ Posts

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

• Like Like x 1
  21. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

This one should go on the thread about guns and mass shootings. This is the type of event that gets lumped into and makes up the lion's share of "mass shootings" but since it is black on black most of the time, they don't want to talk about it that way. Since it is usually criminals illegally in possession of firearms, they don't to talk about it that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

One cop shot might even make it a good news story to them.

• Like Like x 1
  23. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Blacks rioting and shooting? Never heard of such a thing….

More expected than surprised. Damn Putin!

24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

26. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

hic
    Stop doing his work for him.

• Funny Funny x 2