Blondes battle recession blues in Latvia

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by ScoPro, Jun 2, 2009.

1. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

The Link

Blondes march in Latvia 'to cheer-up nation'

Several hundred blonde women marched through the Latvian capital Riga yesterday in a bid to cheer up the crisis-hit Baltic nation, suffering the worst recession of all 27 EU member states. The first-ever blonde parade featured women dressed in pink and white.

[​IMG]

The organisers want to make May 31 official Blondes' Day in Latvia. Organisers said they were determined to bring positive energy to their country. Several hundred Latvians took part in the parade

Led by an orchestra, the first-ever blonde parade featured women dressed in pink and white, some accompanied by lapdogs, in a charity fund-raising event that organisers hope will become an annual event.

"I'm not stupid. I'm beautiful and I'll prove it," Ilona Zigure, a participant, said.

The parade was part of a "Blonde Weekend" which also featured a blonde golf tournament, a little lady fashion show, an evening ball, and a children's drawing competition.

"It's a great time to spend in the parade and contribute to a charity," said Ieva, one blonde spectator.

"Finally something different, something positive because I'm tired of hearing about the crisis," said another, 70-year-old Ausma.

The event attracted many locals and puzzled tourists.

Following the parade, blondes climbed into open-topped cars and drove to the local shopping centre.

The money collected during the event will be donated to support children's safety and playgrounds for disabled children in Riga and across Latvia.

The organisers want to make May 31 official Blondes' Day in Latvia.

Latvia, a small Baltic nation with the population of 2.3 million people has been going through the deepest recession in the European Union, which it joined in 2004.

2. groverat

groverat 2,500+ Posts

I support this.

3. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

This is a parade I can stand behind.

4. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

i really love visiting europe, the women in general have a better understanding of what is important...staying thin and being hot.

5. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

There's a fun idea.

Interesting camera angle on the photo. I guess, as a result of the recession, the photographer was too poor to buy mirrors to glue to the toes of his shoes.

6. Lancehorn

Lancehorn 250+ Posts

If Obama wins re-election and Texas decides not to secede... I'm going to Latvia, recession and all!!!

[​IMG]

7. johnny chimpo

johnny chimpo 500+ Posts

Homina, homina, homina.

8. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

In other related news, a large number of bitter, angry brunette women were seen at a nearby coffee shop smoking and decrying the shallowness of Latvian men and proclaiming to anyone who would listen that the parade should have been called "the cellulite parade".

9. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

10. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

I would make an excellent first ambassador to Latvia for the new Republic of Texas.