BlowU/Children of the Corn

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by LousianaHorn, Mar 13, 2021.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

..............to play Sept. 18 in Norman................50th aniv. of the "Game of the Cent"............I doubt it will happen but I would giggle if the Corn could somehow nut up and beat the Dirt Burglars.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

This will be worth the watch... yeah, I too will be pulling for the COTC!!

I clearly remember that classic 1971 game and where I watched it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hoping Linc lays 60 on the poster children for what happens when you turn your program over to "furinners"

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Great game but 1969 Texas vs Arkansas was the Game of the Century. It was scheduled as the last regular season game of 1969 specifically because that year was the 100th anniversary of college football.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. DKRoyal fan

DKRoyal fan 100+ Posts

You are so right Statalyzer. I remember vividly because that was the first Horn game I ever saw and it was called the Game of the Century. That is the year that the Horns each wore a "100" on their helmet over the longhorn emblem.

Check out my today's post about this game in "Random Off Season News" in the On the Field section.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  6. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

I am always torn as my brother played on that 1969 Arkansas team. It was a mess of a football game. We had turnover after turnover after turnover. Broyles made two horrible calls that cost his team the game by throwing interceptions in FG territory that would have pushed the score to 17-8 and sealed the deal. I know no one wants to hear it, but the better team, THAT DAY, did not win.

The 1971 game, if you had no dog in the fight, was as good a football game as you could see. Mildren who was the greatest wishbone QB ever (back me up Sabre) played a nearly perfect game. Nebraska just kept knocking people down at the line of scrimmage and could not be stopped on offense. When OU went up 31-28, NU drove 80 yards, 6 yards at a time, running out the clock and won the game 35-31.

While I would NEVER compare it the USC Rose Bowl, the similarities are many. Ok. Let the trashing begin. And don't forget Hillary's emails.

:texasflag:

7. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

That's funny, I always thought the better team usually makes fewer mistakes under immense pressure to win.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Just ask Matt Leinart...

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

You are absolutely correct, that is generally always the case. But you do have occasionally have a game where Street's 4th quarter magic and Broyles coaching meltdown can over come the truck load of errors. Sort of like Pete Carroll telegraphing the western world that he was going to hand the ball off to Lendal White. And sure enough, the better team did win. Another call and the better team THAT DAY was likely going to win.