BMW 2003 530/540i Questions

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by CaptainEd, Jul 16, 2007.

1. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

So, I've really liked this particular body style since it was introduced and was thinking about getting one with the Sport Package. 2003 is the last year they made this model and I've seen quite a few in the 40-60k mile range in great condition. If I were to get a 530i, I'd probably just go with an automatic but with a 540i I would try to get a 6-spd manual to make it a bit more fun. Either way (i-6 or v-8), it would be a pretty substantial improvement over my truck's current gas mileage.

Any thoughts or experiences with this particular incarnation of the 5-series? With regular maintenance do the engines continue to perform or is there some sort of invisible wall where you've had problems? Is the I-6 or V-8 a more dependable engine? I saw the other thread about oil changes...are there reputable shops around Austin outside of dealerships?

Pretty much just looking for all the good & bad, especially with the late 90s - 2003 5-series. Thanks.

2. Franco

Franco 250+ Posts

3. AUinAustin

AUinAustin 250+ Posts

In case you didn't bring a decoder ring. The E designation followed by a number (for example E39) is the BMW classification for a family of cars such as the 3 series or 5 series. There really is not any protocol for the number part. For example the 3 series had the E36 followed by the E46 followed by E90.. In each series there are usually various models such as 525, 540, sedan, convertible etc.

4. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

found my new 733 on the way to the office this morning [​IMG]

still wanting to hear any personal experiences on this board with the 530/540 from around that year (2003).

[​IMG]

5. huge

huge 250+ Posts

i have a 97. love the car but have had some maintenance issues, mostly stemming from the fact that it now has over 100k miles on it and the original owner lowered it some.

i love the car and it drives like a dream still.

i'll be switching over to a 335 here sometime in the next year, but the 6sp 540 is a gas to drive.

6. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

I don't have any personal experience with that year model, but I do with a BMW V8. Go for the V8. It's a screamer.

7. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

I don't have any experiance with any BMW but I want to buy this thing

[​IMG]

8. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

that thing is fugly.

9. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

Are you talking about the car that I posted. Do you just not like a color scheme? It's a AC Schnitzer BMW M6 and it is bad-***. Here is a different M6 with out the tuning and color scheme.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think it is a gorgeous car.

10. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

that one, not so fugly. looks similar to an aston martin. i knew it was an m6, that paint job was just.......not so good.

11. Pepper Brooks

Pepper Brooks 250+ Posts

I had an E39 540 with 6speed, sport package, etc. That this was a beast on the freeway. I had well over 100k miles with little to no troubles with it. I am in fact thinking about getting another one now since they are so cheap and I need a car I can carry kids in since my current one is not suited so well. I would get a pre purchase inspection on any, and if you can find one with BMW CPO then you will indeed be better served in doing so. Both V8 and I6 are great engines.

12. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

Thanks, Pepper..........exactly what I was looking for.