Bob Davie in hot water

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by El Sapo, Feb 9, 2018.

1. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

2. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I did a Wiki search on Davie and find he's only 63. Man, seems like that guy has been coaching or commentating since bell bottom jeans came into fashion.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

New Mexico is the worst run school in America, and, yes, Colorado is still in existence. Let's see if I understand this correctly:

1) HC tells two long time office staff members they are fired because, "I need young, pretty women" in my office. Multiple discrimination lawsuits.

2) HC gets pissed and beats the **** out of an assistant coach. Lawsuit settled out of court.

3) HC doesn't like the conversation between two men in a restaurant bar and proceeds physically assault them. Couple of more lawsuits.

4) Same HC can't beat NM School for the Blind, and produces horrible W-L record.

5) Administration refuses to fire coach for cause, but then later goes to Lobo Club to ask for $1.5 million to buy him out. Lobo Club refuses.

Enter Bob Davie, never the most politically correct, and prone to publicly say really stupid things. Was there due process? What happened behind closed doors? Is this a witch hunt or legitimate investigation?

If a female was assaulted, it is abhorrent and should be dealt with harshly. If, however, this is the ineptitude of UNM adminstrators, as well as state officials seeking CYA and their 15 minutes of fame to seek advancement, all I can say is that the state of NM and UNM remain the worst managed, worst run entities of their kind in this country.

I think Davie is an idiot, but shall reserve verdict until the facts are fully revealed and it is proven that NM and UNM have acted appropriately and legally. If not, I hope Davie sues the **** out of them and is awarded a huge directed verdict - not that he can collect since both are fiscally and morally bankrupt.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  4. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Now, now, it can't be all that bad. My sister did her undergrad all the way through her doctorate at UNM and my girlfriend received both her bachelors and masters from there. Go Lobos! :hookem:

Mike Locksley, what a trainwreck... and talk about failing upwards. :idk:

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sapo,

While the education may not be that bad, the administration is abominable, making stupid mistake after stupid mistake. After Texas, I went on to The University of Colorado Graduate School of Business, run by Joseph Frascona. Hence, I have followed CU and its demise under the horrid leadership of Betsy Hofman, who made CU a joke with her overwhelming stupidity.

UNM administration started a decade ago to surpass Hofman and company, and they have succeeded in taking UNM to levels of ineptitude not seen since Harding Lawrence ran Braniff.

:beertoast:

6. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Ms. Sapo enjoyed your post, Sabre. Thx :beertoast:

7. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I have read up on this one and from what I have read so far, this does not sound like Briles at all. In fact, it has looked more like a witch hunt. Most of the allegations have been unsubstantiated hearsay. Some of the allegations have not been cover up/wrong doing but Davie advocating for his players. Yes, there is a difference in a player telling a coach he did not do something and the coach having his back and a Briles cover up situation. Some of the Davie stuff sounded like the former rather than the latter.

Obviously I was not there and do not know, but I have not seen any proven wrong doing and it is does not sound like the investigations did either. If they really found something, I am pretty sure that Davie would be fired. This 30 day suspension seems like an unjust “splitting the baby.” It is like they said “There is not strong evidence you did anything. If you did, here is a 30 day suspension.” That’s not just. There is either credible evidence he did something wrong and he needs to be terminated, or there is not evidence and he should receive no penalty unless credible evidence turns up. Like I said, it does not look like anyone has found credible evidence of anything so far.

I will also add, as long as a coach does not cross the “Briles/Jimbo” line and go to cover up territory for guilty players, a coach should advocate for his players if they claim innocence. Duke La Crosse and Virginia Fraternity false claim situations do happen. Every case and person should be evaluated independently and impartially. Nothing should be assumed just because someone is a man, a football player, a coach, black, white, etc. or because the accuser is a woman, black, white, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Agreed 100%. No profiling based on race or gender, just the facts. I don't know Bob Davies but he always seemed straight up and a straight shooter to me. I don't worry about political correctness much, I am a Generation X'er, not a millennial. If race becomes an issue in this case, don't trust the media. Too often the claims are not substantiated. I have almost no facts, all I am saying is be slow to judge on this issue until more true facts are uncovered.

9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

AC,

Without going "Wesr Mall", UNM is not as much about political correctness as it is about race, and it's philosophy of "If their white, they can't be right". FWIW, that administration does not consider Hispanic to be "white".

That quote comes from a well respected department chairman, who had been at UNM for several decades, and arrived with an east coast education.

10. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Sabre,

We agree 100% on this. I just have personal experience with getting lambasted publicly over a race issue and I know how it feels, especially when its not true. Oh and UNM ain't the only place that thinks like that!