Bob Stoops’ judgment no longer can be trusted after release of Joe Mixon video

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by bck031, Dec 18, 2016.

1. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

Stoops might play dumb on a lot of things when it comes to his football program, but he can’t distance himself from this decision.

Outside of the Mixon incident in the year 2014, Stoops:

• Saw starting linebacker Frank Shannon be suspended by OU after the school investigated a sexual assault claim against him. Shannon returned to the Sooners’ football team for the 2015 season.

• Accepted Dorial Green-Beckham into the Sooners’ program after the talented wide receiver was kicked out of Missouri after it was alleged he forced his way into an apartment and pushed a woman down a staircase. The decision to take in DGB earned Stoops a rebuke from a United States Senator.

• Signed Dede Westbrook. Stoops has recently claimed to have no idea about the Heisman Trophy finalist’s alleged two domestic violence incidents, which are said to have occurred before Westbrook transferred to Oklahoma. Stoops said, “We have extensive background checks. … I’m not part of that. Again, so I’m not sure how that happened.”

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/oklahoma-bob-stoops-joe-mixon-video-121716

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Stoops & Briles = POS

This is how a Baylor culture gets started, just look the other way a few times and everyone begins to understand that winning is all that matters and you will not be held accountable for obscene behavior

3. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Let me help you with the complex math Big Game Bob:

YOU don't do the background checks and don't really care what they find unless the kid killed someone and it is obvious he did it, so your not part of "that".

Of course your not sure how "it" or anything happened related to your players behavior.

Hey media, fans, etc. can't blame me! Natural thing to say when you have a agenda driven moral compass or limited ethics when it comes to the players on your team.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Worster,

I am not being a Stoops apologist, but I would like to point out a few things:

1) Criminal background checks are pretty much a joke. In Texas, you send in the request. If the person is clean, you get nothing back. If there is anything. it can take 2-5 months to get a report back, if it is indeed accurate.

2) Juvenile records are sealed, so you are at the mercy of the HS coaches to be honest. Two words - Robert Joseph! How many felonies did he have sealed because he was a juvenile? Rumors were as high as five. That piece of crap HC at Port Arthur knew about them, but kept him on the team, and kept the information from recruiters. Of course, the more important issue is how someone, who called his buddy from a jailhouse phone asking him to go roughup or eliminate the witness, qualify academically to get into Texas?

After viewing the 3+ minute security tape, I don't know how Stoops could not act against the kid, although the court seemed to be pretty lenient as well. Seems pretty clear that Mixon is garbage and will only create more problems the longer he's allowed to stay in Cleveland County.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

Also from the article:

It’s not even taking into account that three of Stoops’ former assistant coaches, who landed head coaching jobs after working for the Sooners, were fired from those head coaching positions for mistreating players.

6. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

7. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

God bless the coaches like Charlie Strong.
    He did one thing right while he was here. Losing sucks, but to me it could be so much worse.
    I try to imagine what it would be like to be a Sooner fan* or a Baylor fan, etc, and how gross it must feel at times. Its too bad Charlie could not win more games because as far as I am concerned, Charlie did a lot right (by the players and program)

*(of course, in the alternate universe where I am a Sooner fan, I would probably be a degenerate white trash so there is that)

• Like Like x 8
  8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Do any A&M fans acknowledge the FedEx years and cheating that went on? None I have ever talked to do, so I'm not sure many BU or OU fans would think their coaches or players did anything wrong. Win at all costs.

• Like Like x 3
  9. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

It's Oklahoma, they only feel bad if the team loses. If they win, they could care less.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Only ones I heard reference those years say that it was a conspiracy create by Texas to get Jackie Sherrill canned.

• Like Like x 1
  11. horninchicago

Pathetic.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

The NCAA needs to get more involved in these matters. Once schools are punished, they will watch issues closer. Or in the case of ou, try to cover them up better.

13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chicago,

The "A&M fans" would and will never acknowledge it because they really knew very little if anything about it. Kinda of like a wife that chooses to ignore her husband's cheating, because that way she doesn't have to deal with it. The old Ags that were involved joke about the things that went on, the "kidnapping" of Bubba Bean when Bill Yoeman had two red Cadillacs parked in front of Bubba's house in Kirbyville. (Rod Dockery's father was principal of Kirbyville HS.). Then there is the "kidnapping" of Johnny Hector in New Iberia, while Jerry Stovall had an assistant camped outside his house. BUT, to my limited knowledge, no other school has ever "kidnapping" the university president to keep him from meeting with the NCAA and attending the press conference to have a player address the charges of cheating during his recruitment.

BCK,

The NCAA is a powerless, gutless, worthless group with NO BALLS! They never do anything, frequently hiring private investigators to do their work. They have NO subpoena power. Sometime when there's noting to discuss, I'll share the comedy that was their investigation into Rod Dockery and Kevin Murray. It really shows their total incompetence.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  15. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

Of course not. But are quick to say that our record vs aggy only matters when they went co-ed. Which is nonsense considering they won their only national title well before we did. And they only consider undergrad as their claim to be as good academically as UT. Including graduate programs vs aggy it's not even close.

16. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

Sabre I agree. They have not wielded any power sing the SMU "death penalty"

17. horninchicago

Am I to gather from the title that Stoops' judgement was trustworthy prior to this video?

• Like Like x 1
  18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agree with Chicago - when was his judgement ever trusted?

19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

It helps if you send in the request with someone's real name and not their nickname.

It also help if you take 5 seconds to Google their real name and their arrest records are the first two results that come up.

20. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

I am guessing the judgement issues applies to the Oklahoma media.

21. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

False statement. He was suspended from all football activities for a year and was given several things he had to accomplish to earn his way back on the team. Redshirted players practice, lift, attend team meetings, etc. with the team all year. He lost one of the five years he had to complete four years after of eligibility.

22. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Dare to dream. Cam's dad can sell his services but Cam cannot directly. yikes. NCAA is done and should be replaced with something open and honest and fair.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

No, 4 minus 1 = 3. 4 minus ZERO = 4.
    If it was a false statement and he "lost a year" he would not have 4 years of playing time and he would not be listed as a "Redshirt Sophomore" but listed instead as a Junior.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  24. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

All college football players have five years to play four years. The extra year is for red shirting if the player is not physically ready or will not see significant time due to depth of the team, or if a kid is injured prior to or during a season as long as he doesn't play in more than the allowable amount of games(3 I believe).

In Joe's case he lost the ability to redshirt or file for a medical redshirt and still compete four years. Joe was a three and gone player coming out of high school so a redshirt year is really irrelevant. Everyone believed that he would play two years and declare after his one year suspension. The irony is that the video has justifiably caused a major issue with his draft status which may cause him to return for another year.

25. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

26. horninchicago

27. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Just saw a clip on the news. Mixon says he though he was punched by a man.

28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Let's see:

1) Long blonde hair - On a man in Norman? Only if he's named Toby Keith, then he would have stomped the dog **** out of Mixon.

2) Big boobs - On a guy in Norman?

3) Short dress? Lot's of guys wear short dresses in Norman; maybe during hell week.

4) High heels? Probably half the guys in Norman are walking around in heels.

He should have run into the women's restroom and plead the Annice Parker defense

:catfight:

• Like Like x 2
  29. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

I mean I'll give you Mangino and Wilson, but that Leach firing was complete ******** that was concocted by Kent Hance, Craig James, and a handful of cheap ************* at Texas Tech that just flat out did not want to pay the guy what he was owed.

As for the OP, the article is entitled "Bob Stoops’ judgment no longer can be trusted after release of Joe Mixon video."

I have a huge problem with this, for the same reason I have with the NFL not suspending Ray Rice until after that elevator video was released: you know what he did. What the f**k were you expecting to see when it was announced video was available? It's not like they politely tapped them on the shoulder, said "excuse me but I am going to have to assault you now" and Baby Powder slapped them. The ******* **** is barbaric, but you just need to read the incident reports. You don't need a goddamned video to know how horrible it is. That title implies that Stoops' judgment could have been trusted until that disgusting **** was released. The girl's injuries were well understood in 2014. It doesn't take a lofty imagination to know how it happened.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  30. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

No way some team picks this guy anywhere as a pick.