Bob Stoops’ judgment no longer can be trusted after release of Joe Mixon video

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by bck031, Dec 18, 2016.

1. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

Don't overestimate Cincinnati

2. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Would love to be an Auburn linebacker for the sugar bowl so I could knock the crap out of Mixon. The trash talking is gonna be epic too.

3. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I heard an analyst on the radio predict he will be a day 2 pick (second or third round) even with the baggage. He was a college freshman when this happened and now should be about half-way through his junior year. If he passed the drug tests and seems like a gentleman during interviews (where they will try to get under his skin so he shows his true colors) I think he will go in the third round based on talent. The best possible outcome for this is for Mixon to lead an exemplary life and excel in the NFL. The worst is a Lawrence Phillips repeat.

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

How about his NFL interview include Gloria Allred and our former women's AD that moved off to NY.

This will be the first, and likely only time, I shall ever suggest either one of those do something they would enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Geez, give the poor guy a break. It's not like he hit someone with a baseball bat or anything. Oh, wait...that's OK, too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

This was a while back, I can't remember the guys name that hit his best friend with a baseball bat that put the kid in a coma or temporary coma. If I remember correctly Bob Stoops allowed him back on the team after either anger management or alcohol treatment. So there is a history of Stoops with this kind of stuff.

EDIT: Didn't see the post above

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I'm with hpslugga. The video shouldn't change anything if you already know the content of the video.

"Joe Mixon punched someone in the face. It's on video. This video shows Mixon punching someone in the face."
    "Ok, I'm outraged somewhat."
    "Now let's watch this video of Mixon punching someone in the face."
    "Wow, now I am by far more outraged than before!"

Huh?

So in other words, he had 5 years to play 4, spent a year not playing, and then had 4 years to play 4, and no longer has the leeway to miss a second year. Exactly like what happens with a redshirt. He missed 0 games.

That was Dusty Dvoracek, who got a medical redshirt, so like Mixon, he missed 0 games for what he did.

9. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  10. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

It is incomprehensible that anyone can be so delusional. That said, I know and have have talked to several aggys who are just that warped. Incredible.

• Like Like x 2
  11. hornsfan1026

hornsfan1026 25+ Posts

Remember that the words Stoops and good judgment should not be used together in the same paragraph, much less the same sentence.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Not that Bob Stoops needs me to defend him, but the climate for tolerance of domestic abusers in college/football is not static. It has changed a lot over the last 3 years. Stoops has said just a few months after bringing Dorial G-B to Norman that public opinion wouldn't allow him to do it again.

13. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Note that its public opinion that would not allow Bob to do it. So that's his moral compass. Does the public get outraged? = NO = AOK!
    So as long as the public doesn't know about it, its probably OK too.
    Hence, the video being sealed. I am sure that if the video were released sooner, Bob Stoops would have done something more about it at the time, only because he would have had to.

I agree that the video should not change things for anyone. But its a fact that a large part of the population does not have much imagination or empathy upon hearing "Joe Mixon punches woman and breaks her face". Seeing him, a grown *** man, punch an actual person (who could be your daughter), not just a name, through the goal posts of life kind of puts a face on it. Why they say a picture is worth a 1000 words.

14. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

The point is he knew his character, and still welcomed his to Norman. He would not have been welcomed here.

15. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I assume Stoops' operating model is that "morally acceptable" and "what I can get away with" are pretty much the same. Lots of successful people live like that, pushing boundaries and looking out for themselves. I don't necessarily like those folks, but I often root for their teams and choose between a couple of them at the ballot box.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  16. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

There is no doubt that Stoops was operating on the "what can I get away with" model versus an absolute standard that cannot be eroded. Only a rabid fan would argue that gridiron glory and the ability to contribute is not a factor in determining and applying the standard.

17. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

Stoops said a reporter was "making it personal" when asked how he would feel it it had been his daughter. I'm sure it was personal for the girl's family.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Stoops is just sorry that he was caught out.

19. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

That's true empathy. Judging it like that; then you know the true level of the outrage.

20. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Yeah sorry my player broke your daughter's face, but it was nothing personal. He was just mad, and her face was there, so no hard feelings yeah? Plus, have you seen how fast he runs!

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Have you people forgotten Tom Osborne's response to the exact same question? Every drop of blood in his body went to his face, and he stormed out of the media room without answering.

Bob will be canonized by the Pope before he stoops low enough to get to Osborne's level.

22. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

Care to elaborate? I seriously do not remember this

23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Osborne (can I be banned for using that can of profanity) was holding a press conference in Lincoln to address one of the Lawrence Phillips issues, this one involving Phillips beating up a woman and throwing her down a flight of stairs. After a couple of "softball" questions, a female reporter asked Osborne, who was defending Phillips, if he would feel the same if it has been his daughter. I thought his head was going to explode as he turned and stomped out of the room.

• Like Like x 1
  24. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

That is a punk move.

25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

No, it is typical of the kind of person Tom Osborne is.

My favorite Osborne story is from our old recruiting days, when I met a lady friend for lunch at the old Bombay Bicycle Club on Southwest Freeway between Gessner and Bissonett. It was about 230, and the place was almost totally empty. There was a new red TransAm parked outside with paper tags.

As we walked in, I noticed Osborne and one of his assistant coaches sitting in the dining room with a recruit, whom I had called on. I insisted on being seated at the table next to him, and facing Osborne. "Doctor Tom" left the table to go to the mens room, and didn't return for almost 45 minutes. I looked at the assistant and told him, "You might as well bring him back, I ain't going anywhere." Osborne returned looking like a red snapper with the bends, sitting with his arms folded.

When we finished eating, I stopped on our way out and put my hand on the recruits shoulder and said, "---, it's a really nice car, but I want you to answer two questions for me. Is that three thousand pounds of steel worth sacrificing your college eligibility and education for? More importantly, can you really be bought that cheap?"

I really thought Osborne was going to spend that evening either with Denton Cooley being treated for a heart attack or in the Harris County jail charged with my murder.

No, the kid didn't choose Texas, but neither did Nebraska make the cut. He did letter four years at a P5 school, got a quality education, and now has a very successful career.

• Like Like x 5
  26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

That's awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  27. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I love to hear stories like this... thanks for the inside info!

• Like Like x 1
  28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Was this planned in some way? Working in sports, going out for a date, and you just happen to be there when a coach is meeting a recruit?

29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

:beertoast:

• Like Like x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts