Bobby Flay Puffy Taco throwdown in SA

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by 12thStudStan, Jul 11, 2007.

1. 12thStudStan

12thStudStan 250+ Posts

This happened back in May, but my understanding is the TV episode was to be aired this month. Basically, Bobby challenged Diane Barrios Trevino of Los Barrios to a Puff Taco throwdown and got his *** kicked because he came up with some sort of Asian influenced puffy taco with cabbage and peanuts that didn't set well with the local judges.

Unless I have completely missed it, I don't think this has aired yet and a quick check on Flay's website yields nada on the schedule. Perhaps it got pushed back or even shitcanned. I like Los Barrios and although I don't think I would include their puffy tacos even in my top five, it should be a good watch if it ever airs.

Here is an article about the throwdown. Puffy Taco Throwdown

2. blkshoes

blkshoes 100+ Posts

stan, it was in yesterdays taste section that the network has not decided on an air date. has bobby ever won one of these? i dont think he really tries, its a tribute to local food across america.

3. 12thStudStan

12thStudStan 250+ Posts

yeah i understand that he plays the role of the Washington Generals during these things, but I think he at least tries to make a decent showing. my understanding is that he didn't accomplish that this time, but my source (waiter @ Los Barrios) may be somewhat biased and/or exaggerating.

4. CommerceHorn

CommerceHorn < 25 Posts

I'd like to see Tony Bourdain throw down with Flay.

5. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I watch that show on a fairly regular basis. Mainly, because I think Bobby Flay comes up with some of the most off the wall stuff ever. I have seen him win at least one, maybe more. The one I saw him win, if I recall correctly, was a cupcake throwdown. That is something I just don't get. I like the show mainly because I don't like Bobby Flay and I love to see him lose. I do hope he is trying his very best. I really believe he over thinks food. Cabbage and peanuts in a puffy taco? Stuff like that is what he typically does. Tries to put a fusion spin on stuff. Just make the best puffy taco, not the oddest, Bobby!

6. spystud13

spystud13 250+ Posts

I know he also won at least Chowder, Cocktails, & Hot Dogs. I like this show a lot...

Episode Guide

7. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I have a question. Did you see the hotdog episode? How exactly do you win that one? Did they process their own dogs?

8. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

9. astock

astock 25+ Posts

I thought the donut throwdown in NYC was hilarious. The mark was quite eccentric, to say the least, and refused to compete on the spot.

10. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

When's he gonna throwdown on the Soup Nazi?

11. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

I've watched it a few times and Flay has won everytime I've watched.

12. spystud13

spystud13 250+ Posts

13. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

They also filmed a crepes throwdown in Austin that hasn't aired yet against the women who run Flip Happy Crepes.

14. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

He did a show with a friend of mine. The nicest thing he has to say about Flay is to call him an *******.

15. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

16. Sii

Sii 1,000+ Posts

I could care less if he is an ***

I've been to Mesa grill and it rocks

his shows are also awesome

17. Agent007

Agent007 250+ Posts

I died laughing at this... hahaha

Oh and his restaurants are hte suck.

18. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

Flay killed those British guys on the Fish & Chips.

19. horninSA

horninSA 25+ Posts

20. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

To me, he seems like a pompous *** on the various shows he's on (Throw Down, Iron Chef, Boy Meets Grill, etc.).

21. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

I know he lost the jamaican chicken contest here in Austin. Someone said he wore a UT shirt on one of his shows and that he loves Austin.

22. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

23. LonghornLawyer

LonghornLawyer 500+ Posts

I went to high school with his wife at Highland Park. She's pretty damn hot. So between having a hot Longhorn wife, being a Longhorn sympathizer himself, and having a kick-*** recipe for stuffed flank steak, Bobby's allright by me.

24. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

tacos to top

25. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

Recently I saw him beat two old New England ladies in a pie throwdown. He also won an ice cream sundae throwdown. In Philadelphia he won a mac & cheese throwdown. In Maine he won a crab cake throwdown. In Queens he won a hamburger throwdown.

In the California desert he lost a steakthrowdown to a Marine Officer. In Richmond he lost a beef ribs throwdown because he cooked his ribs Asian style.

I just recently started watching the show. I don't know how many episodes they've filmed. I do like the show and I like Bobby Flay and hope he wins every time.