Bobby Layne - I just ran out of time

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Steel Shank, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

On the heels of Layne's jersey retirement, Steel Shank has been doing some research. In addition to being from Santa Anna, TX, I saw where he said this:

"I never lost a game, but sometimes I just ran out of time."

Here's the linkage: linkage

Did aggy rip off a University of Texas player's quote? It certainly seems to make more sense coming from a quarterback as opposed to an excuse for an entire football as to why they lost a game. I mean, does a defensive tackle run out of time?

2. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Forgive Layne for being politically correct. He originally meant to say, "I never lost a game. I just ran out of vodka."

3. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

Yes, the Ags ripped that off from Layne, although I have heard the quote attributed much more to Doak Walker, talking about Layne. Given Layne's record as a winner and 2-minute drill master, it makes a lot more sense for him.

4. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Taylor I have also heard that that quote was originally attributed by Doak. Roger Stauback was also known for winning many games in the last two minutes.

But running out of time to me is not a valid excuse. Both teams have 60 minutes to win a game (more now since we have OT). So let's use our time wisely and do good clock management and win the game in the time allowed.

[​IMG]

5. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

6. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

All Bill's focussness are belong to the Horns, not Navy.

7. Navin R. Johnson

Navin R. Johnson < 25 Posts

Where did you get that he was from Santa Anna? I grew up in Bangs and could see Santa Anna from my parents house. Also, my sister teaches school in Santa Anna and I never knew this. I alway loved the Legacy of Bobby Layne because he partied hard and still was productive. I admired that.

8. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

linky-poo

My stepdad has family in Coleman, so I thought it was interesting Bobby was from just down the road. My biological dad had drinks a few times with BL in Lubbock before he passed away.

9. BMBMD

BMBMD 100+ Posts

Go Blue Cats!!!

10. Texas Rugby

Texas Rugby 100+ Posts

Bobby Layne lived with an uncle in Dallas after his father died. I used to know Bobby's son Rob and met Layne senior one time in Lubbock where he lived after he retired from pro ball. Believe it or not, Bobby Layne really hoped to be named the head coach at Texas Tech in 1970 after (UT ex) JT King hung it up. He also hoped he'd get the TT job in 1975 after Carlin left, but no dice.

11. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Bobby Layne coached the Texas All Stars when they played Pennsylvania All Stars in the late 60s. Penn State had won several games against all stars from other states except for one tie and in our series we lost to them 12 - 6 but won the next three and the blowouts kept getting bigger and the series was cancelled. But in our first win Bobby Layne had Bill Bradley at quarterback. During the week Coach Layne was desiging a play that the Pennsylvania All Stars liked to run and he told the defense that it would probably run to the right since it was easier to write it on the wall to your right and for them to be ready.
    Coach Layne said something like this "After I told them that Bill Bradley says to me "Coach I hear that their Coach is called Lefty." Layne said "I nearly dropped my ______ chalk!"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

One of my earliest football watching memories-Bobby Layne was still playing pro football, and the TV announcers would use that "just ran out of time" quote about him. I don't know if the quip originated with Bobby Layne or not, but it goes back at least that far. It makes sense, though, because Bobby Layne was given credit for originating the two-minute drill.
    He was a mad bomber, that's for sure, and a colorful off the field individual.

13. ElginHotSausage

ElginHotSausage 500+ Posts

surprised no one has mentioned Bobby's most wonderful comment that his goal in life was "to run out of whiskey, money and breath, all at the same time"