Boise St. in 2010

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Full Flask, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Full Flask

Full Flask 250+ Posts

Sorry if this has already been posted, but SI's 2010 pre-pre-season rankings have Boise at #2. I think this will be the first time they start high in the rankings, and they have pretty much everyone back from last year. They play Va Tech and Oregon St. in non-conference.

It will be interesting to see if they can get a top 2 BCS spot if they run the table again. Usually what has held them back has been starting out so low in the human polls, or at least that's what they say.

SI 2010 Top 10
    1. Alabama
    2. Boise State
    3. Ohio State
    4. Texas
    5. Iowa
    6. Oregon
    7. TCU
    8. Georgia Tech
    9. Virginia Tech
    10. Wisconsin

The Link

2. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

surprised to see gatech that high. i thought they lost just about everyone of their skill players.

3. utmck

utmck 500+ Posts

They started 1 senior in their bowl game.

4. PropositionJoe

maybe i'm totally wrong. i thought a couple of their skill players declared for the draft, specifically their big WR and RB.

5. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

It wouldnt shock me to see a team go undefeated from a major conference and miss out on the championship game. While Im not expecting Texas to win every game next year, I think it is still a reasonable possibility, if Garrett grows sufficiently over the spring and summer.

I dont think Boise will lose a game. Should make things very interesting....

6. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Only three of those teams will be in the top 10 come next December. SI is historically way off on their preseason predictions. Only Texas, Ohio State and Alabama will be in the top 10 in December next year.

Missing you still have Florida, Miami, Oklahoma, Nebraska, USC, Pitt, and Florida State to name just a few that are going to be strong next year.

A couple of outsiders that may have a shot, Arizona State, Notre Dame, Michigan and Georgia.

7. waazel

waazel 100+ Posts

8. nosoupforyou28

nosoupforyou28 25+ Posts

If Boise State goes undefeated and gets left out, considering they're fielding basically the same team that went undefeated this year, it would be total BS to leave them out of the championship game.

9. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

Prop Joe, you are correct. Georgia Tech lost their top RB (Dwyer), top WR (Demaryius Thomas), All-American DE (Derrick Morgan) and a very good S (Morgan Burnett). They return Nesbitt & Anthony Allen on offense, but there is no way they are a top 10 team.

10. jamesmaner

jamesmaner 500+ Posts

11. PropositionJoe

one of the perks about being notre dame is that you'll always get mention in the top 25.

they could start a blind rooster at QB, neil young at left tackle, and a carton of old milk at LB and they'd still be considered a "dark horse"

12. Full Flask

Full Flask 250+ Posts

I love the option... I think it's fun to watch, and I really miss it in college football. But I think Georgia Tech benefits a lot from that gimicky offense. Teams just don't see it, and can't properly prepare for it in a week.

But you give a team a month to prepare, and they stone it cold. Which is why GT is 0-2 in their bowl games under Johnson, scoring 3 and 14 pts. in those games. They also lost badly to Miami last year, who had 10 days to prepare (scoring only 17 pts.).

13. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

14. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

15. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

i wouldn't count RR out just yet. i think this might be a good year for michigan. just a hunch.

16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

17. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

If Texas, Ohio St and BoistSt all go undefeated Texas and OhioSt will jump Boise. In the polls and computer rankings. Boise may play a decent team or 2 in non conference, but Texas will play Neb, OU, OhioSt will play Iowa and PennSt in conference play, and as we all know a strong end of season is worth more than a strong beginning of season.

18. The Horn Identity

The Horn Identity 500+ Posts

Sorry, but I just don't see why UT is ranked that high. There are question marks all over the offense.

QB - I love GG's potential, but we're still replacing the winningest QB in college history with a true sophmore with limited playing time.

WR - With Shipley gone, we lose about 10 catches a game and the only reliable ball-catcher.

RB - Maybe Tre solidifies himself as a starter, but right now it is still a committee.

TE - Uh....will we get one of our guys back that can actually block and catch.

OL - I think we're replacing like 130 starts. That's gonna take time.

On the defensive side, we are in much better shape. I expect that they'll keep us in every game, but have to guess the offense is going to implode at least one and not be able to muster a come-from-behind in another.

So, preseason, I just don't see how you can put us in the Top 5. Maybe, Top 10.

19. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

20. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Wow, Tebow-less so not even preseason top 10.

21. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

That poll must have been made before Waffle-O Bill changed his mind and his leave of absence is no more. That should put them in the top 3. Also, Tebow will watch from the heavens, I mean, on tv so that adds a spot or two at least.

22. FW_Horn_32

FW_Horn_32 100+ Posts

I think Boise has Va Tech early next season. They could very well lose that game. VT should be pretty good next year. Tyrod Taylor looks like he may have finally learned to play QB a little bit.

[​IMG]

23. hook_em_jesus

hook_em_jesus 25+ Posts

They will lose to Oregon--- Bank it!!!

24. gdu

gdu 1,000+ Posts

I will take whatever odds you want on that. There is NO WAY they will lose to Oregon next year.

BTW, Oregon isn't on their schedule next year.

I also love guys like Craig James (and you apparently) who say "well Oregon wins that game 9 out of 10 times." Fact is, Boise is 2-0 in games actually played. I guess Oregon should win the next 18 then.

25. HatDaddy

HatDaddy 1,000+ Posts

I thought these guys were terribly overrated.
    Their QB did nothing other than try and throw the bal as high as he could and hope his brother would catch it.
    Defense wasn't bad, but top 5 team?? No way.

26. TexinID

TexinID 25+ Posts

BSU's quarterback (Kellen Moore) had the second best quarterback rating in the FBS this year, so I think he's a tad better than you're giving him credit for.

27. idahohorn

idahohorn 250+ Posts

His brother was at no better than third best on the team. And he may not have the strongest arm around, but he did much more than just throw it up and hope someone caught it.

28. hook_em_jesus

hook_em_jesus 25+ Posts

My comment was based on the fact that they are playing. After going to see where I looked at the schedule I saw that I looked at the '09 schedule. So you are right... they won't be playing. But I was supposing it would be in Autzen and that would flip it, in my opinion, in favor of Oregon... just as I thought it would be close but in favor of Boise last year on the Smurf Turf. I don't think like Craig James... that it was a fluke win. But both of those schools have hellacious home field advantages...

29. TexinID

TexinID 25+ Posts

Boise beat Oregon in Autzen stadium in '08. They beat them at home in '09.

30. hook_em_jesus

hook_em_jesus 25+ Posts

yes they did, but Oregon's offense should be exceptional next year... as is Boise's. Either way... moot point. no game unless they both happen to hook up in a bowl.