Boko Haram

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Uninformed, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I haven't heard much about these atacks in Nigeria recently. What Western injustice is this islamic group fighting? What have we done to provoke these attacks? Should we listen to their demands?

2. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

Didn't they do Whiter Shade of Pale back in the day?

[​IMG]

3. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

After your post, I had to look up the meaning of Procol Harum. The name is a misspelling of the Latin phrase procul harun which means beyond these things. I don't quite understand it as it relates to a band, but it must have something to do with being stoned and trying to look beyond the confines of the 60s Vietnam reality.

4. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I heard the band's manager named them after a friend's cat and any presumed esoteric meaning was nothing more than the imaginings of others.

5. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Vigilante groups have formed in the northern Nigerian city of Maiduguri to fight the militant Islamist group Boko Haram, a move welcomed by the military as it battles to quell the insurgency, as the BBC's Will Ross reports.

Military checkpoints have been a common sight in the northern Nigerian city of Maiduguri - the birthplace of the militant Islamist group Boko Haram - for several years.

But these days the people asking the questions at the ubiquitous roadblocks are often not in uniform.

They are civilians who are adding their muscle to the fight against Boko Haram, which is waging a military campaign to create an Islamic state across Nigeria.

More than 2,000 people have been killed since it launched an insurgency in 2009.

"When the situation became too bad to endure, we decided to find the Boko Haram members ourselves," said Mohammed, who was stopping and searching cars at one of the checkpoints.
    Map locator

"Whenever we see them we arrest them and hand them over to the army. Some of us know these people," he said, adding that he and his colleagues are not paid for the work.

The vigilantes started appearing on the streets in early June, after a state of emergency was declared in May and thousands of extra troops sent to the area to wipe out the militants.

The civilian-run checkpoints have since spread across almost every district of the mainly Muslim town. They are mostly manned by teenage boys and young men in their twenties but there are also some women searching female passengers.

Mohammed said that when they detain a suspected militant, "we bring the holy Koran and then ask him to swear on it. If he's lying we are sure he will die".
    The Link

6. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

The Link

The leader of Boko Haram vowed to sell hundreds of schoolgirls that were kidnapped in the north of the country two weeks ago, Agence France Press reports on Monday.

Abubakar Shekau, the infamous head of the Nigerian Islamist militant group, made the comments in a taped video message in which he also claimed responsibility for the mass abduction.

"I abducted your girls. I will sell them in the market, by Allah," Shekau said, according to AFP.

Armed militants abducted more than 300 Nigerian girls from their secondary school in Borno state on April 14, driving them off into the remote Sambisa forest. While some managed to escape, police said last week that 276 were still missing.

Civic organizations had warned earlier that the young women were being forced to marry extremists for as little as $12 and had been trafficked across the borders with neighboring Chad and Cameroon.

Also on Monday, Nigeria arrested the leader of a protest group that called on authorities to do more to find the kidnapped girls. A source told Reuters that Naomi Mutah Nyadar had been detained for allegedly falsely claiming that one of the abducted girls was her daughter.

7. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

Predator drones would be nice.

8. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I am reminded of that scene in Apocalypse Now when Col Kurtz told of immunizing the children of a village. After they left, the VC went into that village and cut off every immunized arm. Kurtz speculated that if he had a company of men willing to do that he could end the war very quickly.

It amazes me that Islam seems to be able to consistently inspire men to do horrendous deeds in the name of their God. And please, libs, don't bother to tell me that it's a very small minority of Muslims, blah, blah, blah. It keeps happening to innocent non-muslims all over the world.

9. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

10. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

Clean is correct. More modern day atrocities are committed by islamics in the name of their religion than by any other group. Not saying all Muslims condone it, but the facts speak for themselves. Everyone can recognize it. Some are comfortable stating it and others choose to look for excuses and take refuge under the guise of tolerance and cultural diversity. It's just political correct BS.

11. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

12. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

Where was the help for Benghazi?

13. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

It takes a lot of energy to confront and reverse evil. I've just been reading Amazing Grace, a book about William Wilberforce and the Parliamentary battles to end the slave trade. Christians were front and center in winning that battle, though the forces in favor of inhumane subjugation were not slow to quote the Bible either.

Certainly there are pockets of Islamist who are brutal, backwards, thuggish and cruel. All the Muslims I have personally known have been gentle, family-loving, intellectually-gifted, tolerant and enlightened. (Admittedly, it's a small sample ... less than 20) It's not always so easy to sort out when religion is the source of evil, or when human evil tries to use religion to justify itself.

14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

BO announced on ABC yesterday that he had sent in a team: The technical experts heading to Nigeria will include U.S. military and law enforcement personnel skilled in intelligence, investigations, hostage negotiating, information sharing and victim assistance, as well as officials with expertise in other areas,"
    Jay Carney said no armed forced would be sent.

So the team will not be armed , I hope for their sake they don't actually encounter any of the Boko Haram.

A horrific situation and BO is correct this SHOULD be a galvanizing event for the international community.
    Let's see how many announce they are helping the USA in this,

15. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

You may be reading into things too much. Jay Carney was likely meaning that we weren't sending in a combat team. I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to send our own agents in without any US managed protection but I'm more an optimist.

I listened to a BBC interview with the spokesperson for the Nigerian President. The Nigerian government sounds like a carnival of idiots. We could probably have eyes on the girls and not the Nigerian military unable to react successfully.