Books for men

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by jmatt, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Kahuna

Kahuna 25+ Posts

I just finished reading Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell (ghost written by Patrick Robinson).

It is the true account of Mr. Luttrell, an East Texas farm boy turned Navy SEAL, first on becoming a SEAL and then going into a disastrous battle in Afganistan in 2005 where he is the lone survivor. He doesn't hide the fact that he is a proud Texan. Great manly book.

2. baboso

baboso 250+ Posts

Blackhawk Down
    Generation Kill - Evan Wright
    Batfishing in the Rain Forest - Randy Wayne White

3. AstroVol

AstroVol 500+ Posts

Very surprised to not see Lord of the Flies or A Separate Peace. I don't know if there is a single female character in either book. I also happen to think The Fountainhead is quite a manly book.

I also really like Wild at Heart, although some may be turned off by the references to Scripture. It really made me understand the reasons for some of the tendencies that men and boys alike have. I'd say it's a manly book, written by a manly dude, but my wife also read it and loved it.

4. bobtheking

bobtheking 100+ Posts

How has this not been said yet?

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Also anything by Chuck Phalahniuk (Once again, how have these not been said, Fight Club, Survivor
    )

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

6. Bluff Horn

Bluff Horn 250+ Posts

Underboss by Sammy Gravano

7. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

Of Mice and Men.

Different Seasons (Stephen King)

8. DCA_HORN

DCA_HORN 500+ Posts

I would say most of Nelson Demille's books especially those centered around the character John Corey.

9. Boozehound

Boozehound 250+ Posts

Here a few books not already mentioned that I've recently read, enjoyed, and would recommend. I would also contend that they have sufficient manly appeal for this thread.

The Last Season
    The Climb
    Between a Rock and a Hard Place
    The Monkey Wrench Gang

10. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, can't believe that I didn't mention The Right Stuff. What a great freaking book. If they ever build a Pantheon of Badasses, Chuck Yeager will have the central display (right next to VY).

And a different kind of guy's book (you know I gotta plug it here) -- Legends of Texas Barbecue, by Robb Walsh. I got it as a Christmas present -- it's a cookbook, but it's also a story of the history of bbq in Texas -- I sat down and read it, cover to cover, in one sitting. It is easily one of my 3-4 favorite books.

And as for some "trashier" type stuff, there is some really good stuff out there by Ken Follett (he's also written some pretty weak stuff):

Eye of the Needle -- he was a freaking KID when he wrote this, and it is an EXCELLENT book.

Pillars of the Earth -- centers around the construction of a cathedral in medieval Englad. Absolutely fascinating. (I got the long-awaited sequel for Christmas this year -- it was very good, but not as good as Pillars).

An unusual choice -- "Soon I Will be Invincible" -- a novel, but it's the story of a comic book-type supervillian. Really clever, and a quick read.

I don't know if I can handle reading "The Road." When it comes to my kids, I am too easily rendered an emotional wreck.

11. Fico

Fico 25+ Posts

I will second Micheal Shaara, but read the whole series, Gods and Generals, Killer Angels, and The Last Full Measure.

Vernon God Little is a pretty humorous story that parodies American lifestyles and stereotypes.

Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck.
    Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy.

12. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

Cry, The Beloved Country

13. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

A Man for All Seasons

I can't believe this thread has gone more than 3 pages and no one has suggested Brokeback Mountain

14. Natron

Natron 25+ Posts

Cryptonomicon (and others by Neal Stephenson)

15. CaboWabo

CaboWabo 500+ Posts

I agree on "The Road." Allsome book.

16. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

A few more...

The Terrible Hours by Peter Maas
    The Gates Of The Alamo by Richard Harrigan
    Zodiac by Robert Graysmith
    Red Dragon by Thomas Harris
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
    Heck, just about anything by Ray Bradbury...

17. Rip76

Rip76 1,000+ Posts

"Bad Haircut"

Tom Perrotta...
    great book

18. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

My signature is my suggestion.

19. mahone

mahone < 25 Posts

Semi-tough
    Dead Solid Perfect

both by Dan Jenkins

20. TX-EX_98

TX-EX_98 25+ Posts

I liked most selections here, but one glaring omission, at least for me: Heart of Darkness

21. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson.

Last August weather screwed my son and I over on a trip into the heart of Denali. We were supposed to fly out around Denali and had to reroute. We flew over Alex Supertramps's bus instead and it was one of the best parts of the entire trip for me. We did it 15 years to the day after he died in the bus according to Into the Wild and it was not even on my radar screen before we got into the plane.

22. roy_batty

roy_batty 250+ Posts

Catch 22, Joseph Heller
    Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card (mentioned above)
    Dune, Frank Herbert
    Different Seasons, Steven King. Not a novel, but a collection of novellas, among which are Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption
    and The Body
    . For that matter The Bachman Books
    collection by Steven King (writing as Richard Bachman), also have 3 great 'guy' stories.

23. khorn

khorn 100+ Posts

Just read a great book by Jim Dent called Twelve Mighty Orphans about the Ft. Worth Masonic Home football team in the 1920s and 30s. Great, great book about a team that is hard to believe. Highly recommend it.

24. SuperG24

SuperG24 100+ Posts

Macanudo mentioned them on page 1 briefly, but if you are into World War II history you should check out Rick Atkinson's 2 books that are part of a promised trilogy. The first book "An Army at Dawn" covers the war in Africa, the second book "The Day of Battle" covers the battle for Sicily and Italy. The third book not yet published is going to cover D-Day and the push through France all the way to Germany. The research he must've done for the first two books is amazing. The amount of detail is staggering. I highly recommend them for the war buff.

25. GT WT

GT WT 1,000+ Posts

Great suggestions,

I would add:

Elmer Kelton - "The Time it Never Rained"

John Graves - "Goodbye to a River"

Walter Prescott Webb - "The Texas Rangers"

Larry McMurtry - "The Last Picture Show"

God bless Texas!

[​IMG]

26. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

anything by or co authored by John Wooden

27. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard 100+ Posts

Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton by Edward Rice
    Hemingway: A Biography by Jeffrey Meyers

These guys were men of action and men of letters. As a man, I love what they accomplished in their lives.

28. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

"Bringing Down the House" is a good guys book...

29. Bluff Horn

Bluff Horn 250+ Posts

North Toward Home by Willie Morris

30. AustinBadger

AustinBadger 250+ Posts

Yes, you haven't fully lived until you have read 'Heart of Darkness'. You should reread it every 5 years.