Bottled water in the house

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by A. BETTIK, Apr 14, 2011.

1. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

The wife, I and two kids recently had some guests spend a couple of weeks at our house. Both were from out of state or nation and happened to arrive at a time when, to our horror, our water started tasting like ***.

I opined that the lake must be turning although I could not back that up with a weather person statement or a citation from local paper.

We immediately went out and bought what I considered a large quantity of bottled water, a 24 pack I think. I figured it would last the six of us at least a week.

A few days later I began noticing large quantities of bottles around the house. Upon further examination I observed many of these bottle still contained more than half of their original contents. Oh and scandalously there were no more water bottles in the plastic/cardboard Ozarka packaging container.

Slightly irritated, but still in host mode, I cleaned up the less than 50% full plastic bottles and bought more.

Strangely the 50%+ bottles remained in situ for days, thus blowing my theory the owner would happen along to resume consumption. I worried maybe people were afraid, not knowing which bottle was theirs. Only the youngest made an attempt once, by writing her name on a bottle.

The Clear Plastic made a resurgent comeback in the wild of our house and once again, I observed these bottles taking up strategic fung shui like positions around the house.

Two or three half full/empty bottles adorned the kitchen table adding a sophisticated sense as to what the owner might have been doing there. Was she diligently working there at the table like a politician trying to save the world at a climate conference? Or was she grandly engaging in adult conversation with her buddies, probably dissing other women at a recently attended concert?

The bottles on the book cases took the edge off of my stodgy looking paperback collection. The bottles on the floor everywhere bespoke of children living the life of birds, The World is my Toilet, except there is no such concept to birds. Poop and go. Drink and drop.

I became utterly dismayed and amazed at the quantity of bottled water these females whent through. Marathon runners I thought. I began gathering up the aging waters and carefully watering prize plants out front as a drought has set in. (How did the old timers spell droughth?)

I never saw females drink this much tap water... I must admit though, I enjoyed a cold bottle after a while. No carbonation or flavors, just smooth lake personality free water, even if from Ozarkansas.

I especially enjoyed the crinkling sound the bottle makes as I eagerly sucked the water out, many times squeezing the thin clear plastic with my hand to make the water delivery process smoother and more effortless.

With the guests gone, I expected to see these bottles go extinct. Archeologists might find one or two centuries from now as a kid's room got cleaned up.

Saddly I was mistaken, it turns out my wife's pregnancy leaves her disgusted by processed Colorado river water. Bottled water will remain at our house- thanks Lake Travis!

2. HatDaddy

HatDaddy 1,000+ Posts

tell her to drink the entire bottle before moving to another, or you wil gut punch her.

3. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

Can't really offer up any words of wisdom that would be reasonably defined as useful, but I do like your style of writing.

4. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

Rent one of those cold water dispensers and get your bottled water delivered in five gallon containers. It's about 20 bucks a month and you don't fill the landfill with thousands of bottled water containers per year.

5. SomeMildLanguage

SomeMildLanguage 500+ Posts

Reverse osmosis unit is really the only way to go.

6. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

I drink out of the toilet. Good enough for my dog, good enough for me.

7. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

the story is funny. seeing empty water bottles around the house during holidays drove my dad insane so he bought the little tiny fiji water bottles that probably hold 6oz of water.

8. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

Half empty water bottles, half empty pop cans.......I always finish my beer. That's the norm at my house. [​IMG] Pisses me off.

9. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

This is one of the finer posts I've seen hereabouts lately, and by mysterious coincidence I enjoyed a few refreshing swallows of filtered water during the consumption of it. Well done.

10. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

luckily when we moved into our house 4 years ago, it came with a fridge that has filtered water dispensed from it. I don't drink the tap water here often, but it sure is convenient to get it out of the fridge. Cold, Clean, good tasting, and no plastic bottles. Great post, OP!

11. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I used to buy bottled water, but eventually looked at other options due to concern with the plastic containers. I thought about a filter for the tap, but eventually went with a Brita pitcher. In my opinion it works great, the water tastes great and the capacity is more than adequate for me. One common complaint with the Brita filters is that they leak carbon granules into the fill reservoir, which doesn't get to the filtered water, but still looks weird. I switched to the Mavea universal filter that fits the Brita and no more granules.

12. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

TC I use a filter pitcher too. Other than that it doesn't hold that much water so I have to keep a pitcher of water in the fridge to fill it up so the filtered water will be cold faster, it works just fine. And we have some nasty tap water here. Now if I could get myself to drink it more and the Diet Coke less...

13. darius

darius 500+ Posts

Swing away, Merrill.

14. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Yeah Prodigal, my tap water is horrid. I love my pitcher, but I probably fill it up at least a half dozen times a day and for the most part it's just me using it.

That's hilarious darius. The little girl's contaminated water phobia was the best part of that movie. [​IMG]

15. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Nice one Darius.