Boyer' open letter to Kaepernick

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by NJlonghorn, Oct 15, 2017.

1. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I think he's gotten out of his lane a little bit. It's going to be interesting to see this play out.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I would be more apt to believe that advertising contracts were up for renewal and PJ decided that being right was not worth paying an increased amount of money for the advertising slots.

Whether they advertised or not, I still won't eat their crap though...they have to have one of the worst pizza products out there.

3. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I'm thinking the letter from Goodell is just this side of a SLAPP suit...it could actually be JUST what is needed to get the anti-trust exemptions removed. I can easily envision JJ giving the go-ahead to file suit and allow this to be Exhibit #1 that Goodell is failing to allow owners to speak up against conduct by Goodell that harms the owner's interests.

4. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

If JJ was the trigger toward the NFL losing it's anti-trust exemption wouldn't that be the textbook definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face?

5. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Perhaps so...but I could easily see JJ as believing such a loss is worth it to have Goodell gone. Goodell NEEDS to be gone. He is a perfect example of unchecked power run amuck...ignoring his own (female) investigator was NOT a wise act.

6. Seattle Husker

If JJ believes that than he's not very smart (cue Arkansas jokes).

7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The idea of any professional sports leagues having an antitrust exemption is complete nonsense. In 1922, the argument had some merit. Professional sports teams were largely local enterprises. In the modern area, they engage in huge amounts of interstate commerce and should therefore be subject to antitrust laws. Having said that, I don't think any court would have the guts to toss the NFL, NBA, and MLB under the bus.

However, if they did, I don't think it would hurt JJ very much. Nobody is going to enter the Dallas market and seriously compete with the Dallas Cowboys for their fans. It would hurt the teams that are less entrenched in their respective markets.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Seattle Husker

Given the structure of the NFL, any harm to those other teams in less entrenched markets would have a negative impact on JJ. I'd agree that the anti-trust exemption is not necessary for these leagues but if you are an owner within these leagues you'd be an idiot for giving it up.

9. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

You guys are missing the point of the antitrust exemption. The NFL, NBA, and MLB aren't concerned about outside competition. They are concerned about protecting their anti-competitive practices (draft, salary cap, revenue sharing, appointing a commissioner, standardized rules, centralized scheduling, etc.). Without protection from antitrust laws, each team would be on its own to find a path to profitability in the marketplace.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You are correct, but I think dumping that stuff mostly favors the Cowboys.

11. Seattle Husker

It favors the Cowboys like Texas having it's own LHN rather than a B12 Network. Any gains would be very short term.

12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

What's your rationale? The salary cap, draft, and revenue sharing are major disadvantages to the Cowboys in the long and short terms.

13. Seattle Husker

A rising tide raises all boats. Yes, Dallas could be the New York Yankees of the NFL. I'd argue the lack of parity in MLB is why it's gone from the #1 rated major league sport to #3, behind NFL and NBA. When entire markets know the game is rigged in favor of wealthy teams fans don't show up to support the team.

14. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Plus, if there was a complete elimination of all antitrust rules, the Yankees would be even more dominant than they are. The reason the top pro leagues thrive is that the teams conspire to sustain oligopoly prices on both the supply side and the demand side. Without that, the Yankees would pay the biggest signing bonuses and salaries to the best players straight out of puberty.

15. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I believe the fans in Houston and Cleveland would tend to disagree with you about MLB...neither is what one is considered 'wealthy' and yet both were in the top three in total wins this season. One of them won the World Series to boot...over a MUCH wealthier team.

16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

A rising tide lifts all boats, but I think it would lift Jones' boat more if he didn't have to share his revenue and could spend what he wanted to on free agent talent. You bring up MLB, but think about that. There's no forced parity, but the Yankees aren't the only team that has good attendance even though they make and spend the most money, and they're not the only team that wins championships. In fact, they've only won one championship in the last 15 years. Things are competitive enough that other teams think they have a chance, and fans turn out for it. It doesn't look rigged to people.

Let's put it this way. If salary caps, revenue caps, and other forms of imposed parity were truly good for everybody (including the top teams), the Yankees would favor them. There's a reason why they don't. They would not trade places with the Dallas Cowboys if they could.

17. Seattle Husker

And how many years did they essentially tank the team to focus exclusively on prospects? Like Kansas City, by the second big league contract they won't be able to afford the superstars and be forced to trade or let them walk. You can be a shrewd GM like Billy Beane but the ceiling is always lower for the small market teams that can't buy their way into annual playoff reservations.

18. Seattle Husker

I think you're making my point for me. I'd agree that the Yankees like the skewed playing field. They like having the YES! network. They like their annual playoff appearance bought and paid for by taking everyone elses high priced talent. They like that they playoff appearance is a certainly despite many poor management decisions. Steinbrenner doesn't care what the rest of the MLB makes because he has his cash cow.

The Cowboys are not the Yankees. JJ had to take out massive loans from the NFL to pay for his personal Taj Mahal. If the NFL didn't share nearly all revenue would he getter a bigger piece? Absolutely but like the MLB it would be a bigger piece of a smaller pie. Since Goodell took over the NFL pie has grown from $6B to $14B. The MLB pie in that same timespan has grown from $8B to $9.5B. Is that due to fan preference or the fact that every team sans Clevelend has a playoff shot in the NFL at the start of the season?

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Today at Azteca, Marshawn Lynch sat for the United States national anthem
    Stood for the Mexican national anthem

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Same deal with the London games, kneel/sit for our anthem, stand for theirs.

It's already offensive to do it in America. But protesting our anthem on foreign soil and honoring the host country's anthem is 100% spitting on America.

So glad the supposed pre-season SB contender Raiders turned out to suck (4-6) and will miss playoffs.

Lynch's much hyped return is a bust. Ranks 26th in yards per carry (4.0 ypc) and 33rd in yards per game (43.3 ypg). He cost their cap $2.6 mil this year and next year it jumps to $6 mil. No doubt he's getting dumped in the off-season.

Come January he'll be sitting his anti-American arse on the couch getting fatter.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

And what's ironic is that they stood for Britain, which profited handsomely from slavery, gave birth to the hated America, and colonized huge parts of Africa.

• Like Like x 4
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

23. Seattle Husker

All the professional and collegiate conferences must be shaking in their boots at what they'll get offered in their next negotiation for TV rights. Some of conferences may lose their access to ESPN or take a haircut in the next contract. Clearly ESPN overextended itself.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ratings back on or still on the down

The TV audience for NFL games steepened its slide in Week 11, losing 1 million viewers versus last year’s season-to-date average.

The 6.3 percent slump — worsening from comparable declines of 5.6 to 5.7 percent during the previous three weeks — plagued a week whose off-the-field drama made gridiron tackling seem almost tame by comparison.
    Only two games had audience gains.

The NBC “SNF” during which the Philadelphia Eagles whopped the Dallas Cowboys 37 to 9 managed to attract 12 percent more viewers than the comparable contest a year ago.

Fox’s single header on Sunday, which saw the New Orleans Saints sneak past the Washington Redskins 34 to 31, drew 10 percent more viewers.

After starting 11.8 percent behind last year’s TV audience for NFL games in Week 1, league viewership had either held its own or narrowed the gap through Week 8.

The 6.3 percent shortfall in Week 11 reflects an average viewership of 14.9 million for the NFL’s 68 national telecasts this year versus 15.9 million for the season-to-date in 2016...."

https://nypost.com/2017/11/22/the-nfl-ratings-slump-is-getting-worse/

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  25. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It almost isn't a fair match. For his age, Shapiro is brilliant. Like a lot of NFL players, Käpernick is borderline incoherent. A friendly media is really the only reason he's taken seriously.

• Like Like x 4
  27. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

IMO, Shapiro is a future establishment hack in disguise because he's living out his defiant youthful years.

Sure he goes against the grain and attacks hot topics when there's a significant tide leaning in his favor.

But when the PC oven gets extra crispy and bold defiance could torpedo his platform, he tends to 'go along to get along'.

Some of his kneejerk stances mirror the Never Trumpers' mad dash towards 'morality' and PC compliance.

Not gonna throw out all his work with the bath water as some of it is brilliant, but give it time, he'll prove to be a caver.

28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That is absurd. When has he "gone along to get along?" He isn't as inflammatory as a Milo Yiannopolous type, so he's not an easy fit in the Trump era. However, the guy smacks down the Left precisely because he argues with reason and evidence and has a disciplined mind. That means he has the ability to actually convince people who are left-leaning and on the fence to change their minds and expand the conservative base. We need more of that, not less.

29. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

He has merit, yes, and I do see how he has his share of fanboys. But he does go the safe route on scalding hot topics now and then. Those signals don't look good for the long term as he'll likely lax with age, IMHO.

There's more than a few times i strongly disagreed with what I saw as a weak stance to stay clean. But the majority I've seen with him I mostly agreed.

If I cared enough about Shapiro to find some references I'd do so, not the case. There are others out there who also thrive off strong reason and evidence but hold the line much tougher. Stefan Molyneau ("Truth about _____" segments are awesome), Larry Elder, Gorka, Mark Steyn to name a few.

I'm sure we'd disagree on where I feel Shapiro backs down when others don't for the simple fact both Benny and Deez are Never Trumpers.

I get it, nothing wrong with being a Conservative who prefers someone other than DT lead the charge.

Being a nationalist I just disagree on who and what it will take to win the raging war against the bloodlusting, morally deprived, modern Libs.

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts