Boyer' open letter to Kaepernick

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by NJlonghorn, Oct 15, 2017.

1. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Okay. That may be. I still start from the perspective that using the anthem as a protest is annoying to me, because it emphasizes non-respect if not more accurately disrespect.

I am acknowledging that if I agreed with the overall premise (isn't it that deliberate white racism, especially in law enforcement, has made the country so bad that its symbols must be disrespected until this is "solved," and implicitly that white people must be told that black lives matter because a) they don't know or believe that, and b) that racism is so rampant in USA that we must push BLM above the more balanced principle that all lives matter?), I would probably be less "offended." So, yes, just like probably all people, my opinion on the BLM message is intertwined in my reaction to anthem protest. Isn't yours?

I guess the prima donna reaction isn't really to these particular guys, or Kaepernick, but from a large number of small cuts. There is a general presumption that all college players on scholarship are being exploited and that even pro players are underpaid compared to the owners or whatever. Somehow, I transitioned from the feeling that star athletes were glad to have me watch and admire them to the idea that they think they are doing me a big favor.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

I laughed too.

Since this wasn't a college that offered the award but rather the ACLU SoCal organization I'd argue that D Martinez doesn't have to worry about what college their children might consider if their reading skills follow their mother/father. There wasn't any "college" referenced in the article.

3. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

That's not quite it. I can admire people with whom I disagree on a very important point or two or more. (Really, I am one of the last ones!)

I agree that sports are entertainment. Still, for me, I can better participate in my suspension of disbelief that a sport "matters" if I see the winners and succeeders talk about how "I got here by hard work and opportunity and teamwork, and if you go after your dreams in the same way, you can succeed, too." I don't really believe DKR when he says that football reveals character any more than, say, engineering, but I can suspend disbelief and imagine that when Texas wins, somehow my value system is validated or whatever. When, instead, the ones in the spotlight and making millions for a ball sport choose to use the soapbox for saying that our culture is unfair and all, it does two things:
    1. it brings out some political disagreement, which (only mildly for me) does distance me from that person a bit.
    2. it tears down the "4th wall" of the entertainment, and eliminates my suspension of disbelief that I am watching something that matters, and reminds me that these guys are just ball-sport guys who may not have as much sense as the average taxi driver I get into a conversation with. I react the same way in a music concert when they turn on the house lights, stop the concert an raise money for some social cause. I would react the same way if restaurant staff interrupted everyone's meal for a fund-raiser for a cancer victim.

4. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

For better or worse, they certainly are ... and the NFL uses this stardom ... they use these heros for its own advocacy. Remember the Coke commercial with Mean Joe Green? That epitomized the starstruckedness most of us had back then. Watching an NFL game was a family experience and parents didn't have to be concerned with inappropriate displays (wardrobe malfunctions at 1/2 time ... and the political commentary du jour)

In the contemporary era ... what I'd call heros are being ridiculed. Those players whose behavior was worth my sons' replicating as they admired these guys for their ability on the ball field. They are still there ... mind you ... but they are overshadowed by the transition to being a platform for social justice/awareness ... when they are STILL ... just a game.

I've not been hedged about my viewership/patronage of NFL venue. The league has lost its way and has fostered this kind of off-topic display, never mind the display is based in falsehood ... or at least GROSS exaggeration.

I hope they get it in their thick noggins ... they are there to play a game. PERIOD. Go demonstrate on your own time and with your own dime. You don't represent "Colin Kapernick" when you don that uniform, you represent the team ... and the league.

• Like Like x 1
  5. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

:smile1::smile1:

6. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

yeah, the cord cutters are in full force, I tell you what!

• Like Like x 1
  7. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I watched the Mid Tenn/Arky State game! LOL

Was better than patroning the fools last night.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

One NFL exec has conceded to his hometown fans that the kneeling caused the drop in attendance. This is from Baltimore Ravens president Dick Cass in is letter to season ticker holders. Was printed in USA today

Regarding the protests:

“We had the poor showing in London, complicated by the kneeling of a dozen players during the national anthem. That became an emotional and divisive issue. We know that hurt some of you. Others saw it differently and welcomed the dialogue that followed. Others bluntly told us to keep statements and protests out of the game. There are some of you who have stayed away from our games.

“We have had significant numbers of no-shows in the past when our play on the field has not met the high standard we and you have set for the Ravens. But this year has been different. The numbers are higher, and it is noticeable. There are a number of reasons for the no-shows, but surely the one-time protest in London has been a factor.”

• Like Like x 1
  10. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

no no .. .that can't be right. :eek:

11. Seattle Husker

Yo, that's nearly word for word what OU Bubba and I have been saying. To quote ShAArk92 "no no.. .that can't be right."

12. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I haven’t done a comprehensive scrub of this thread, but I’m pretty certain @Seattle Husker you and @OUBubba have rejected the notion of the “kneelers” having adversely affected the attendance/fan participation ... which is exactly NOT what @Joe Fan ’s post says.

he couches his comment a bit, sure, but he nails the cause; the false narrative and protest against unity ... while representing something other than themselves (their employers)

ya done messed-up AA Ron.

13. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

To save you the trouble, I’ve compiled everything @Seattle Husker and @OUBubba have said on the topic in this thread. The TL/DR:
    • The protests are one of several factors contributing to falling NFL ratings.
    • The protests were fading until President Trump stoked the flames.
    • The protests have had little if any impact on cord-cutting.

14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You must have been really, really bored. lol

• Like Like x 3
  15. Seattle Husker

Thanks for saving me the trouble! It's the JoeFan's that have continually tried to attribute all attendance and ratings issues to the anthem protests.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I don't think I said that the anthem protests had no impact. There were 10 players doing it before Trump kicked the pile of turds. Then it blew up. Prior to that all cable/satellite related had been dipping due to the cord cutters. Our local dish/direct guy closed up shop a few months ago and went to work installing security systems. When we got fiber optic internet in our rural area everyone dumped it. By your logic, these anthem protests caused him to lose his job. So, they're job killers as well....

17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That's the goofy thing about it. Nobody said that, but if you recognize any other factor as meaningful, you're insulting Trump's cock size.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

He's really over compensating, huh?

19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's not surprising that Trump overcompensates. Plenty of guys do that. What's surprising is the legions who feel the need to defend Trump's cock size as though they're defending their own.

20. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

No. Most of the people in here have been arguing what's been the main factor. It's been the protests with everything else a distant second. I'm willing to bet Joe Fan and most of the other posters right of center would agree with this.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  21. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

It didn't take as long as I expected (the +Quote feature works great), but yes, I was bored. Ironically, I did most of it during commercials while watching the NFL games.

• Like Like x 1
  22. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

IDK why/how I missed this notie ...

Thanks for the work, NJ ... but as can be read, in the effort to refute JoeFan, SeattleHusker has been adamant about minimizing the affect of the kneelers.

If cord cutting were such a big deal, (my) rates wouldn't continue to be increasing, methinks. But hey ... it makes us feel better when we adopt the narrative we're supposed to adopt ...

Like ... label expensive gifts from Mom/Dad rather than Santa, so another kid doesn't feel like Santa doesn't love them for their less expensive gift. SMH! (yeah, creep alert, but I think the point is made nevertheless, unless distraction from a bad argument is sought)

• Like Like x 1
  23. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

My Direct rate dropped from $108 to $58 this year without me asking. They did it for "loyalty" after 16 months. Prior to that I was with Dish since 2005. That said, it gives me leverage with my wife who's wanting to cut the dish/cord. I want easy access to sports and HBO without having to work at it. She doesn't value access to ESPN/ABC/Fox/CBS as I do for various sports.

24. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

The same group of people who don't think cord cutting isn't happening are also oblivious global warming. And that Obama is coming for your guns. And that Hillary ____________. Ironic, huh?

25. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Bubba, you talk a lot of **** for someone who hasn't been right about a damn thing since you've been here. I can't wait until "Russia, Russia, Russia" blows up in your face.

• Like Like x 1
  26. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

So cord cutting is a myth? Is that your stance?

27. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

They have been wrong about everything. Nobody believes there is global warming. Not even Al Gore, but he's convinced a few here like Bubba that it's real. They made a better argument that the earth was flat. It's actually amusing to watch them try to make a case of it. They even believe Obamacare has been a success when no one in their right mind would try to argue it. It's the worst legislation in American History.

Until Schumer and Pelosi moves away from their talking point these guys on here will continue the fight. They just don't realize their leaders are making fools of them. Pelosi said the tax cute will be Armageddon. Like anybody will listen to what she has to say. The left made claims the stock market will collapse under President Trump. Everything they claim is proven untrue at a later date. They are so predictable and these guys here pretty much worships every statement they make. If you are going to be a believer, then believe someone that's been right most of the time.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Nope, but it's not the major factor. You don't go from the #1 sport in America to the #3 sport due to cord cutting.

• Like Like x 2
  29. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

56.6 million Americans will go without pay TV this year.

30. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

but enough about white privilege.

:rolleyes1:

Kudos on getting your DirectTV bill "right sized" ... mine's not. I had DTV for 10 years, never got doodley. Finally just "cut the cord" because the rate was too high and I wasn't getting enough Fox News. :p

DISH was the first satellite to host LHN, so I returned to pay TV. Anyhow ... it's nuts.

But this thread is about the effect of kneelers on the NFL ... and there's no doubt it's hurt the sport. Cord cutters don't account for lack of audience ... just that they're not pigeon holed with a specific subscription service. If they just went to YouTube TV or something, sling ... that'd be trackable ... yes? It's not like you're having to return to the Nielsen estimated ratings of viewership.

But y'all like to talk out of both sides of yer pie hole ... so this doesn't surprise me.