Boyer' open letter to Kaepernick

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by NJlonghorn, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Not the Babylon Bee

FWIW, the avg salary in the NFL is ~ $2.9 million
    The top salary is ~ $25M, while the minimum base salary for a drafted player this season is $465k

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  2. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

This passes as journalism to the MSM.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

good one

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

How does this one Lebron act by Lebron stack up to Trump's charitable acts?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  5. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

LeBron ... last time I checked ... a private citizen. He can do whatever he wants to do with his money (he’s extorted out of bounce ball league)

Trump is POTUS. He isn’t supposed to do with the taxpayers’ money whatever he wants.

6. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

... oh you mean ... when Trump was a private citizen ... ???

Seems like he’s funded a number large ticket items, too. I could be wrong ...
    But that’s beside the point, SH.

here an overpaid athlete is pointing his crooked finger at a guy who has decided to stop earning lots of money for a little while ... here’s the main point of the meem ... meanwhile his fellow overpaid athlete is the catalyst for the entire exercise; an exercise of free speech on a topic which is AT BEST manipulated, if not an outright lie, executed in a manner which disrespects the people who have built and defended the system which provides for his right of free speech.

Ironically ... he’s not acting as himself, though ... he’s acting as a member of a unit which is greater than himself. So pointing to Trump about creating division ... look closer to home, LeBron. Your boy CK has gone off the rails and taken a BUNCH of otherwise good guys with him.

Then there’s the buffoonery of the NFL execs ...
    Free speech huh?

Attached Files:

7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Trump could of course give more to charity. couldn't we all?
    I know he has given to private citizens without any fanfare.
    And he is donating his salary to worthy causes.
    Not sure why LeBron is so anti Trump since Trump is factually doing a lot for the black community.

8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Lebron is doing something very good.
    Trump has done many things also very good.

Why are you trying to pit the two of them against each other? Can't you be gracious enough to acknowledge the good works both men have done?

• Like Like x 3
  9. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Good for Lebron. But maybe he should pay the same percentage of his current salary that Trump donates? 100%.

10. Seattle Husker

Lol! Why not % of income? Can we safely say the announcement this week will cost more tgat Donald Trump donated ti his own foundation in the last 10 years?

11. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Good for Lebron, especially the tuition and GED assistance, which actually help people in the long run. Too bad the government limits the deductibility of his charity to a little over $100,000. However, when it comes to actions that help more people, the jobs Trump has provided to thousands of employees, Trump's tax cuts, and regulation reductions initiated by his administration dwarf anything Lebron and his late-running posse could ever do. That being said, keep up the good work Lebron. Every little bit helps.

• Like Like x 1
  12. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Lol! Can we safely take you off the liberal “fair share of taxes” bandwagon? Same concept.

• Like Like x 2
  13. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Now I see that the NFL puts men of integrity Ray Lewis and Randy Moss on display to lecture everyone on integrity and love. Murder and assault really are the pillars of today's NFL. My NFL was Payton, Campbell, and Staubach. It will never be the same for me.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Obviously, you have neither the grace nor class to simply acknowledge the good both men have done.

• Like Like x 4
  15. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I've had Neal McCoy's "Take a Knee...." circle through my FB feed a few times the last week/so. I thought I might buy it ... went to iTunes. There it was.

But I noticed something else ... searching "Take a Knee" brought a few other "selections" in the search result ... (yes, I'm behind) ... the very son... uh, recordings which provided the pitiful inspiration to McCoy's song.

Notice the comparative popularity ratings ... (now not ALL of these selections contribute to the false narrative)

Perhaps there's a ray of hope as these misinformed IDIOTS continue to disrespect those who've gone before us and sacrificed (some or all) for the FREEDOM to "Take a Knee"

Attached Files:

16. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

IDK if I shared this before or not, but since there's a website maintenance for tonight ... I'm gonna put this on here again.

"
    Take a knee...

It was written by Stanislaus “Stan” Drew and made famous by Ted Nugent last year. Seems appropriate to review this again.

Take a little trip to Valley Forge in January. Hold a musket ball in your
    fingers and imagine it piercing your flesh and breaking a bone or two.
    There won't be a doctor or trainer to assist you until after the battle, so
    just wait your turn. Take your cleats and socks off to get a real
    experience.

Then, take a knee on the beach in Normandy where man after American man
    stormed the beach, even as the one in front of him was shot to pieces, the
    very sea stained with American blood. The only blockers most had were the
    dead bodies in front of them, riddled with bullets from enemy fire.

Take a knee in the sweat soaked jungles of Vietnam. From Khe Sanh to
    Saigon, anywhere will do. Americans died in all those jungles. There was no
    playbook that told them what was next, but they knew what flag they
    represented. When they came home, they were protested as well, and spit on
    for reasons only cowards know.

Take another knee in the blood drenched sands of Fallujah in 110 degree
    heat. Wear your Kevlar helmet and battle dress. Your number won't be
    printed on it unless your number is up! You'll need to stay hydrated but
    there won't be anyone to squirt Gatorade into your mouth. You're on your
    own.

There are a lot of places to take a knee where Americans have given their
    lives all over the world. When you use the banner under which they fought
    as a source for your displeasure, you dishonor the memories of those who
    bled for the very freedoms you have. That's what the red stripes mean. It
    represents the blood of those who spilled a sea of it defending your
    liberty.

While you're on your knee, pray for those that came before you, not on a
    manicured lawn striped and printed with numbers to announce every inch of
    ground taken, but on nameless hills and bloodied beaches and sweltering
    forests and bitter cold mountains, every inch marked by an American life
    lost serving that flag you protest.

No cheerleaders, no announcers, no coaches, no fans, just American men and
    women, delivering the real fight against those who chose to harm us,
    blazing a path so you would have the right to "take a knee." You haven't
    any inkling of what it took to get you where you are, but your "protest" is
    duly noted. Not only is it disgraceful to a nation of real heroes, it
    serves the purpose of pointing to your ingratitudefor those who chose to
    defend you under that banner that will still wave long after your jersey is
    retired.

If you really feel the need to take a knee, come with me to church on
    Sunday and we'll both kneel before Almighty God. We'll thank Him for
    preserving this country for as long as He has We'll beg forgiveness for our
    ingratitude for all He has provided us. We'll appeal to Him for
    understanding and wisdom. We'll pray for liberty and justice for all,
    because He is the one who provides those things. But there will be no
    protest. There will only be gratitude for His provision and a plea for His
    continued grace and mercy on the land of the free and the home of the
    brave. It goes like this,GOD BLESS AMERICA"

• Like Like x 1
  17. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Posts like this is when we need a "LOVE" button.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The NFL is now the sixth most polarizing brand in America

How can rich folk be so dumb?

[​IMG]

19. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Very stupid on their part. Especially given the demographics of their fan base. They will regret not ending these protests immediately.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Just occurred to me that HF requires all political posts to be on West Mall, meaning that HF has adopted de facto the “no kneelers” policy of Trump (I.e., keep politics out of football). If the policy is good enough for HF, how can anyone post support for the kneelers on HF without also indicating a resentment towards HF policy and its community, who based on my experience overwhelmingly support keeping politics out of football. Just a thought.

• Like Like x 2
  21. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Do you have any data on this? I don't think the issue has been studied rigorously, but the only study I've seen suggests that NFL fandom skews slightly Democratic:

[​IMG]

22. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Not really, just my own subjective experience. I definitely do not trust any party affiliation surveys given the negative attacks on Republicans/Conservatives by the MSM and Hollywood elites. The 2016 election proved that point.

But let's say that graph is correct, does it ever make sense to alienate even a third of your customers?

• Like Like x 1
  23. Seattle Husker

Perspective. I suspect the NFL has made a political calculation. They aren't willing to temp a players revolt. Additionally, if truly NFL fans skew liberal OR non-political then they've chosen the least painful option. If you question whether NFL fans skew liberal or conservative look at the political demographics of the cities they reside.

24. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Maybe, but it was a miscalculation. I think the NFL has finally realized it was a mistake to not address these "protests" immediately when they first started. Now that emotions are so inflamed, the resolution will be much more difficult. The NFL should have had a "No Protest" rule of any political issue during the game. They have rules for nearly everything, but not for such a polarizing issue. I mean, they fined Kaepernick for wearing the wrong brand of head phones, but somehow they wouldn't prevent him from offending millions of customers. Just bizarre.

Anyways, we will see how ratings do this year relative to last year. I suspect we will continue to see the same trend of lower viewers. I know my enthusiasm for the NFL is at an all time low.

• Like Like x 2
  25. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I am going to have to go look at the methodology...am really interested in what the numbers would look like if they only account for those who actually GO to games or BUY merchandise.

I doubt there are many D-leaning 'fans' that bother (or are able) to spend a dime on the NFL teams they claim to be a 'fan' of.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Seattle Husker

Really? They may not be buying officially licensed merchandise but everyone walks around Seattle in Seahawks gear on gameday, left or right. Liberals aren't all pacifist pushing flower children. I was a head coach in local youth football for 7 years. Nearly all of my assistants were liberals, including the parole officer and a former UT TE (grew up in El Paso) who is a CEO of a software company. The only conservative among the group was a garbage truck driver.

27. Seattle Husker

The headphones rule is due to a licensing arrangement. Unless the NFL is trying to license their political views I'm not sure that's applicable. Aren't you essentially advocating that the NFL should have enforced your political views?

The issue I see it is that the NFL wants the players to have more personality because that's what fans enjoy. Of course, it can't be on the field so the only other option is off of it. They encourage players to be involved in the community. It so happens that Black Lives Matter occurred. If you're a player from the projects that grew up fearful of police do you think that might have an appeal? Tough for the NFL to say be involved in your community but only the non-politically sensitive topics. This board is a testament to the fact that those are far and few between in our polarized society.

It's entirely possible the NFL miscalculated when they picked the side of player freedom, although I'm not sure they could win either way.

28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

If I were Trump's adviser, here is the speech I would have proposed he read:

"Freedom without malice or gross negligence towards others is the American way. We must endeavor to minimize the tension that gathers when two opposing opinions collide. The national anthem and the pledge of allegiance are iconic symbols of this freedom which we all know has been won and preserved by far too many who had to give up their lives. When I personally hear the anthem or recite the pledge, I am thinking of them and I am thinking of the hope that we all recognize that this is our country. Certainly we have problems. Certainly and without any qualification, the black community has suffered greatly while the government either stood by or in many cases, fostered the horrific conditions under which they were forced to live. This legacy of tyranny towards the black community is part of who they are. It is part of what being an American is about; our history, good and bad. So when they sense a creeping condition of the past they will react in a manner that reflects the determination behind the words, "NEVER AGAIN." It is the same for our Jewish friends who live with the legacy of the holocaust. NEVER AGAIN. And I am not asking anyone to get over it or to trust that it could never happen again. The history of our country is in our blood but that blood is not the same for everyone. But the body of America should be the same for all of us. That is what America should be about. That is what I stand for. It is my hope that we can all come together and stand together for what is right. But if you choose to kneel or sit then I understand the emotional impact of how you feel towards the past and the remnants of that past that remains today. I am standing here and I will extend my hand to you. It is to pledge my understanding of you and my best efforts to honor and insist upon the idea of America. That is what I am thinking when I hear the anthem and that is why I stand when it is played."

29. Seattle Husker

That speech would be out of character for Trump. Not enough "believe me" nor pithy name calling. In fact, it's missing applause lines and the sentence structure is too complex. ;)

I too wish he'd be interested in uniting or at least explaining why it's important rather than using brute force to beat his opponents into submission.

30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

LOL

Well, I have my style and he has his. I think he shouldn't be surprised that his tact (or is it tack?) would only bow up the players backs. I suppose his response is in keeping with his kick the door down rhetoric that got him elected in the first place. But I'd tell him that he has the job now and why not try to stick to what he believes while expressing empathy for them and a calm explanation that maybe his idea of patriotism is not "... point a cannon at you." [line from CCR song Fortunate Son]

• Like Like x 1