BP takes a $10 Billion Tax Deduction for Oil Spill

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Horns2005, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

The Link

This should lower the cost of oil and reduce the deficit at the same time, right?

2. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

it is an expense right?

did insurance $ cover any of the cleanup cost?

3. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

not every expense is fully deductible, so just because they spent money on it does not mean they should benefit by reducing their taxable income by that amount.

4. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts

well after the one extorted 20 billion out of them it only seems fair they get to take a break. oooh.....evil oil. good grief.

5. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

If they dont do it their shareholders will sue their *** off and rightfully so.

6. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

they lost 30 billion on their stock value and paid 20 billion in costs as ordered by the government. 10 billion is a fraction of their losses on the deal. the stock rebound for those that invested low will also bring in a big share to the government. tax advice 101, what is the big deal?

7. bronco

bronco Guest

8. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

So no one is clamoring for the tax loophole to be fixed? It's just good accounting on one of the larger man-made disasters in recent history?

9. hooklahoma

hooklahoma 1,000+ Posts

10. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

at this rate, we will have no incentive to not invest anymore. imagine if i didnt get to deduct my stock losses from my stock gains. what would be the point?

11. Lake_Travis_Horn

Lake_Travis_Horn 500+ Posts

It's ridiculous that there's any question about this. They had substantial business expenses because of the spill and those expenses reduced the profit earned on their business. If you make less profit, you pay less tax.

12. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts