Bracketology - Texas & Tenn out

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by skilled, Dec 12, 2016.

1. skilled

skilled 25+ Posts

Charlie Creme's latest predictions and Bracketology has left both UT's out! Makes no sense to me. Our record is not good, but we've lost to top teams. I know this shouldn't upset me, but gosh......I know we are better than Bryant "bulldogs" in the NEC!!

2. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Ludicrous. Saw that earlier today. I could not find any commentary, but would sure like to see it. Matters not right now, but still irritating

• Like Like x 1
  3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

He actually explained that it was based on today's record and fully expects Texas to be in. Was not as sure about Tennessee.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

yeah, if you are basing it on the W/L records, it makes sense not be expect to be in during the early projections. We should be in as a low seed in the teens, anyway, by the beginning of next month. How we do in the Big 12 will determine where we eventually end up. I'm hoping for a top 16 seeding, maybe higher if we can knock of Baylor at home, which I expect us to do.

5. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Makes no sense to even propose a bracket at this point in the season.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Karen Aston got a little too confident and over scheduled a bit. Two of those four teams... maybe even three..but all four? Nice learning experience, but we're still a work in progress. To get a high seed in March, we have to pretty much run the table in the Big 12 and probably beat Baylor in one game. Baylor beat Tennessee by 20 in Knoxville. We beat them by five in our own gym. To be fair, we played most of the game minus two starters.

7. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

This isn't entirely accurate. The projection is very skewed because we have a losing record, once we reach conference play we will be above .500 and in the dance as a top 4-5 seed. The committee tends to not punish teams for their top 10 losses, and they look very favorable on SOS. All of which work in our favor.

As for the scheduling, Uconn and USC were surprise additions that the staff did not anticipate. USC came by way of the B12-SEC challenge and Uconn was a because Texas was choosen to play in the Jimmy V classic. You can turn that type of national game if you want to be a player on the big stage. This is how our schedule will (and should be) for the foreseeable future. If you want to be a big time player on the national stage, you have to challenge yourself out of conference.

• Like Like x 7
  8. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

This exactly...

9. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

The schedule is what it is, we couldn't have turned down those games, and the experience will put us in good stead as the season progresses. And you see the amount of respect we've been given, as the only 4 loss team ranked in either poll. And #16 at that. The SOS will also serve our RPI ranking well as the season progresses (which is when the RPI actually matters). Current RPI and bracketology isn't just meaningless, it's ridiculous.

• Like Like x 5
  10. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I've heard nothing but praise and agreement from the analysts & pundits of the game regarding the schedule. They sold me on it! The committee most certainly will not punish for it imho like they do for soft ones

• Like Like x 3
  11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Basketball is easy - you play; you win; you are in.

12. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

UCONN was not a surprise addition to the schedule. Two years ago after we played them in the Sweet 16 we scheduled a home and home series with them beginning this year, next year we will host them in Austin!

• Like Like x 3
  13. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Beat me to it! :thumbup:

14. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I am glad as fan of Texas, that they played a tough schedule. It let your team know right off the 1st game.What level you need to play at to win.Yea we could have played a weaker schedule.This will put us in a position to be Successful at the end of the year.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I'm pretty sure the players like it. I guarantee it does not hurt recruiting.

16. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

my apologies. I heard coach Aston speak to this a few weeks back but I could have taken the answer she gave out of context, or parsed her words a bit too much.

Either way, doesn't change the underlying thought that this is the kind of schedule we NEED to be playing. You can never be a true player on the national stage without playing the best teams. If we wait to see a Uconn or a USC in the tournament you run the dangerous risk of our players not understanding what it takes to beat them.

17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I agree 100 percent. I'd rather see our young team compete well and lose to the Top 5 & Top 10 teams early in the season than to watch them walk through a bunch of yawners. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching this team thus far. While this group is still growing into their identity as a team, there have been improvements in areas each time out. While I'm at it, I'll address the new offense Incorporated by J. Carey. It was highly evident and effective for the first quarter and a half against UConn and some early on against Tennessee. But, as young players do, they tend to get impatient when defensive adjustments are made and get away from letting the offense run through its options. It's a process with this group. I, for one, will sit back and enjoy watching them develop as they mature. I hope we have tough schedules like this every year. :popcorn:

• Like Like x 3
  18. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Creme now has Texas #6 seed and TN #7 seed for what it's worth this time of year.

19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

20. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Horns might move up a spot or two.

Team above us that lose this weekend:

#13 Duke 45 #6 Fl. State 69

#14 Miami 55 #7 Norte Dame 67

21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I think by March our record will be considerably over .500 and the games against those Top 5 teams (although losses) should have our SOS strong enough to be amongst the Top 16 seeds.