Bracketology & the Various Super-Regionals' Games

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Chop, May 11, 2022.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You probably should copy what we did in Arlington. It worked pretty well through 4 games.

2. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Yes pitch Hansen, Lucas, then Duplantier/committee…Leashes need to be shorter now-1 walk and your gone. My previous discussion was if we drew a Hofstra or similar at 4 seed then you could argue pitching Committee in game one over game 3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

yep, went right over my head. I mixed your comment with another.

I am old, mistakes happen to me frequently.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

In the Austin Regional last year, we pitched Tristan Stevens in the first game and saved our ace, Ty Madden, for the second game (which was against Arizona State).

5. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I thought that made great sense. Last year we had Hansen as our number 3. Unfortunately Air Force isn’t Fairleigh Dickinson. If we had FD in this regional I might pitch the pen/ committee first.
    Having Lucas Gordon to close out the 3rd game and series would be awesome.
    Easier though to collect a paycheck and go status quo, because if you lose that first game you get blasted by the fans/media.

6. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I can only tell you how it was when I graduated (back in 1968). We were given up to 60 days non-chargeable leave after graduation. That was sufficient to get the guys who were going to pilot training plenty of leave. The kicker - whenever you signed in at your first duty station, any remaining days from the 60 just evaporated. I went directly to grad school at Purdue, and I had ten days to be there for the start of the summer term - so I watched 50 days of free leave simply disappear. I assume the baseball players that are graduating have their commissions and are on non-chargeable leave. And their date of rank is graduation day - won't set back any future promotions.
    That's my best guess - take it for what it's worth.

7. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Against southern is probably a pretty easy call. Gordon and Hansen seem interchangeable. I’ve been seeing some of these teams doing the same thing, but every now and then it bites them in the ***.

i still give Hansen the nod over Gordon with the difference being experience.

8. mmsnake

mmsnake 250+ Posts

Air Force torched most of our bullpen guys so we don’t have much flexibility to fool with them. We gave up 24 runs and 28 hits in 2 games.

9. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Perfect! Now we have them right where we want them. They should understand the element of surprise, but they won't see what got 'em!

10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Somebody was clearly messing with us--putting Air Force as our #4 seed...

11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Do whatever we have to do, and pitch our best guys holding back nothing, to win the first two games.

The opposition's bullpens coming up from the losers' bracket will be even more beat up than ours--and they'll have to beat us twice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Even Air Force couldn't beat us twice--and they were facing our C and D team pitchers during that 2nd game.

13. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

True. I wish our Bullpen was easier to figure out.

14. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

True, but the Horns were facing their C and D guys, too. On paper, their #1 starter is better than Hansen and comparable to Gordon. ...but the game is not played on paper.

Excited to get this party started!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Air Force’s top starter is also their catcher and a big time power hitter. All around BAMF. Buuuuuuuut….his stellar ERA was built against some pretty iffy competition.

16. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

Pitching AND catching? Unusual combo. That's a lot of throwing.

17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Indeed. Although if we end up in the losers bracket and have to battle back, Ardoin on the mound pitching to Schusler isn’t completely out of the realm of possibilities. :yes:

Ardoin
    Faltine
    Messinger

on the mound
    (That’s our emergency supplementary bullpen—-after all our actual pitchers have been used up). let’s hope it never comes to that. Although those three might have performed better on the mound than some of our bullpen pitchers in certain games this year…

:beertoast:

18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks.

19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Upsets:

UConn took down Wake F 8-7

Campbell U. best Georgia Tech 15-8

Columbia, Champion of the Ivy League defeats Gonzaga 8-2

20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Kennesaw State is up 9-4 on LSU

UVA will win their game, setting up a big showdown tomorrow with E Carolina.

21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

And Tech is down 2-0 to the Irish, stuck in a never ending game delay…

22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Make that 11-4 Kennesaw over LSU
    :fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The Irish jerseys are silly. Kelly Green with blue numbers.

ND 2
    TT 0

But Tech with two on base…

24. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The Frogs have caught the Cajuns and surpassed them.

TCU 4
    ULa 3

Cajuns eat frogs ya know…

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Cajuns tied it at 4.
    Cornholio is done after 5 2/3 innings on the mound for the Frogs.

26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Meanwhile, in some small town in Georgia that nobody has ever heard of…

After a six hour delay, neither Tech nor ND can get their bats heated up. Both sides are striking out a lot. Tech batters have been fanned 15 times. :yikes::yikes:

ND 2
    TT 0

7th inning

27. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

I'm surprised TCU is struggling here, was hoping they would win easily and crush the hopes and dreams of aggy tomorrow night (just because I find aggy meltdowns endlessly amusing).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

ND’s hurler (big dude) is tossing some tricky split fingers ala Mike Scott.
    I wish more pitchers would add that pitch to their repertoire.

29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Tech 0-9 with runners in scoring position.

Alex Rao—That big dude on the mound for the Irish, and his tricky split fingered pitches, are racking up the Ks. He’s Gotta be one of the best middle/long relievers in the college game.

Hampton is pitching well for Tech, but the Raiders can’t drive in any runs…

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Cajuns take the lead over the Frogs 5-4