brake inspection

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by numbereleven, Dec 13, 2007.

1. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

Can anyone recommend a place to get my brakes checked in Austin? My car is about 6 years old and the brakes started squeaking last week. Still stops fine, but want to get them looked at.

Thanks.

2. taco

taco 250+ Posts

just had mine done by accuratehorn. He did a good job.
    The longer you wait and wear them out the more expensive it will be

3. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

What type of vehicle (Yugo, Lamborghini, etc) & what end of Austin do you live in?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. CBDTexas

CBDTexas 100+ Posts

If you're near downtown, I'd recommend Empire Automotive on 7th, kind of near 35/APD headquarters. They've been recommended by other HornFans posters, and I've always had a great experience. Link

5. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Whatever you do don't go to Just Brakes!

6. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

7. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

But at Just Brakes, they really do care!

I know because they sang about it on the radio this morning. That accuratehorn guy, what does his radio jingle say? [​IMG]

8. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Any repair shop that works on the kind of car you drive will check the brakes-the noise may be that the pads are worn down to what is called the wear indicator, which touches the rotors and makes a squeaky sound to let you know it is almost time to replace the pads.
    It could also be making some noise due to slightly uneven rotors, and the pads don't need replacing yet. But after six years, it would not be surprising to need some brake work. Most people need brakes between 40 and 80k of driving.
    I would recommend Empire also if you are around downtown, I took cars there to be inspected many years ago when my shop was in the downtown area-they have been there at least 40 years.
    My shop is out north near the Howard Lane exit on IH-35, and we mainly work on Honda/Toyota.

9. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

i am a fan of buying the pads myself at the auto parts store and taking them over to some place in the not so great part of town, maybe a place that sells used tires, and have them put them on. they just put them on and don't try and screw you with unnecessary stuff.

10. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

Thanks to all. What kind of $ am I looking at for my truck if I just need new pads? (Because I'm thinking that's it.)

11. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

If the word "Brakes" is in the name of the shop, run like hell.