Brig. Gen. Robinson Risner Passes

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by 14tokihorn, Nov 1, 2013.

1. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

2. bevo barry

bevo barry 500+ Posts

I posted about this yesterday, "Obit for a true American hero" right here in the Cactus Cafe. Boy, I wish I was just 1% of the man that this guy was. If our country runs out of these types, we are eventually going to be in a world of hurt.

Rest in peace, General.

3. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, I posted too fast.... Someone here on HF actually received R. Risner's name on those POW bracelets back in the '70s - don't recall who it was, there is a thread on Quack's somewhere.

After his release and return home, the man accommodated my High School during a patriotic assembly with his speech. His sons were (loosely speaking, I did not know them) my classmates, circa 72 - 75. All kinds of rumors flew, but telling tales-out-of-school at this time is wholly inappropriate.

I knew he lived here in AuTX for a while, and actually thought about asking for a short meeting to shake his hand... but never did.

Thanks for noting the WaPost write-up... much better reading than NYT.

4. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

I had the pleasure of meeting him and he told me some things that he said he couldn't share with the crowd of students he was addressing from his captivity. His captors were some cruel people, and he was one brave hero of a man.

5. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

I did have his name on my POW bracelet. When he was released, I sent him a welcome home letter. I received a very nice response. He wrote a book about his time as a POW - "The Passing of the Night". Definitely a true hero. I wish I could have met him. Thanks for the original link.

6. Thunderhoof

Thunderhoof 250+ Posts

Gen. Risner was the "keynote" speaker at Boys State when I went there in 1989 or so.

His speech about his captivity was incredibly inspiring to me at that age. As an adult, I admire his willingness to address young men on the values of patriotism, hard work, achievement, and perseverance. RIP.