Bring Back the Word 'Oriental'

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Perham1, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

When and why did the word "oriental" become offensive and catch the attention of the pc police?

It's a fine word and perfectly acceptable to use when referring to Chinese, Japanese, or other "eses". Some say that oriental is a rug, not a person. Pish posh, that's just silly claptrap, made by ignorant people attempting to be clever. Others say that oriental is a direction, not a people. Wow. With reasoning like that they should be employed in a GOP thinktank.

Bring back oriental! Now it's just asian. Indians (dot, not feather) are asian. As are Chinese, Vietnamese, Laotians, Mongols, Turks, and even some Egyptians.

Why replace one word (oriental) with another (asian) which reduces the precision of the word?

2. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

Too close to "Orenthal."

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

^ BI [​IMG]

I had someone tell me once that the word ‘Mexican’ is offensive. Maybe Hispano-American would be better except they’re not American.

4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

5. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

I've always thought this pc sanitation of language is vile and repugnant, and lately I've been reading some older stuff (like RR Palmer's "History of the World" from about 45 years ago) and he calmly and cleanly uses the word "oriental", iirc.

But, language reflects the people and culture who use it and it is up to the clear-thinking among us to resist the masses.

6. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

As I understand it, the term is essentially meaningless. It lumps Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Mongolians, Vietnamese - even Indians and Phillipinos - into the same group.

I don't think it's a big deal, but I can see where a Japanese person would resent being lumped into that group with the idea that all of them are basically interchangeable.

7. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Come to think of it, I’m just a little peeved to be lumped in with the “Western” or “First World” peoples. I’m not western, I don’t even own a horse although I do have a pistol. My wife likes me in spurs and chaps once in a while but that’s none of your business.

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

9. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

10. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I overshared again, sorry.

11. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts

12. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

Worrying such nomenclature is pointless. Save yourself.

I use oriental from time to time and get no push back whatsoever. Be your own renaissance.

Meanwhile, my only issue with the broader loss of oriental is that we don't use occidental very much, and it is a cool sounding word.

13. boon

boon 100+ Posts

i believe it considered a pejorative mostly in the US. pretty sure brits still use it without protest. not sure about canadians

14. HammerOfTheHorns

HammerOfTheHorns 100+ Posts

It never left! [​IMG]

While we are at it...

Chinaman -- what's so wrong with this word? Yet to see familiar terms such as Frenchman, Englishman, or Scotsman raise an eyebrow from even the most diligent of the self-appointed sentinels of tenderness, yet somehow Chinaman is supposed to be some deplorable insult?

15. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

He’s not fat and bald — he’s a circumferentially enhanced man of scalp.

16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I think "man of scalp" would be a baldist characterization, as it suggests that his scalp is what defines him as a man. I think the correct term is "follicly-challenged."

17. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

^And I have tried to educate my 6'3" youngest son that he cannot call me "short" - the PC terminology is "vertically challenged."

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I thought "man of scalp" was a native american thing.