Bringing Friends to Austin- TCU Game

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by LHABSOB, Nov 7, 2022.

1. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

The Mrs and I are bringing 2 other couples down for TCU game. We both went to school in Austin in the 80s-90s and the places we would have gone to back then are probably not even around. Would like to show them a good slice of Austin. When we were in Austin you wouldn't go east of 35 and now I know the east side is pretty trendy.

Can you all give some input on restaurants/hot spots to visit?

Also specific feedback on these places which still live in our minds as great tourist trap places to show first timers. (Bats at the Bridge, Oasis, Mt Bonnell, Hula Hut, El Arroyo, Matts, Dirty 6th, West 6th, East 6th, Rappolos at 1am, Rainey)

Probably don't have time for historic/cultural stuff like State Capitol, Bob Bullock, etc.

Finally, one of the guys really wants to go to Franklins. I feel it is going to be impossible on Friday/Saturday of game day weekend. Do you agree? Will LA BBQ or Micklethwaits also be crazy?

Thanks for the feedback. If you are out on the town Friday night or on Bevo Blvd before the game shoot me a note and I'll buy you a beer!

2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Suspect the line at Franklin would have you there at 6-7 am. Fun tailgating but a lot of waiting. Try La Barbecue. Looks good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Bats at the bridge - yes, as long as they haven't migrated south yet
    El Arroyo - atmosphere is still funky good, but IMHO the food quality leaves a lot to be desired these days.
    Oasis - My understanding is the food is better than in yesteryear, but I haven't been there to try it myself in a very, very long time.
    Matt's - never have been a fan

• Like Like x 1
  4. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

Love me some Matt's. Plain ol' cheese enchilada plate, a large Bob Armstrong and a Knockout martini. Or get a burger at Dirty Martin's while you still can.

Mozart's Coffee on the lake is a nice place, and their impressive light shows start this week. And it's right next door to Hula Hut.

5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Went to Hula Hut after the ISU game. Really good - actually better than I remember

• Like Like x 1
  6. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

I'm rather fond of Taco Joint on W. Riverside when in the mood for Tex-Mex in a very casual setting. Catfish Parlour on E. Ben White is still there.

• Like Like x 1