Brisket Tacos - Update

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Woland, May 13, 2007.

1. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

I gave my party for 40 last night. Using everyone's information from the previous thread, plus the data I collected from an exploratory field trip to Mia's, this is how the tacos went down.

I smoked the brisket the weekend before, eight hours in the smoker and then 8-hours oven time wrapped and in a roasting pan. I used my standard rub, but I will pay more attention to this step next time as the rub ended up being such an important factor in the flavoring of the gravy. The rub is the step where one can really personalize their brisket tacos.

After trimming off the fat, the brisket was sliced into 1/2 inch slices, then shredded it by hand. I skimmed off the fat from the juices that had collected in the bottom of the roasting pan. Both the brisket and the juices were then frozen for safe keeping until the following weekend.

The gravy was prepared just before serving. I added some beef broth for volume. As the rub had already seasoned the gravy, the only addition was some ground chipotle for heat and enhancing the smokiness of the brisket. The last step was to thicken the gravy with some corn starch.

I used a row of crock pots for serving and everyone built their own tacos. This worked out especially well because I had numerous late guests, and the food stayed hot for the guests as they came back for seconds.

So the end product was the brisket and gravy served on corn tortillas along with cooked bell peppers and onions and some Monterrey Jack cheese.

2. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

i dont remember getting my invite to this cornuncopia of brisket taco awesomeness that you speak about

3. TheYoungHorn

TheYoungHorn 25+ Posts

left overs?

Because i would like them.