Brisket Tacos

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Woland, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

I'm cooking for 40 this May and would like to try brisket tacos.

I have only had brisket tacos once, from a little stand in San Antonio. I remember how good they were, but what else goes into the taco besides the brisket? I want to use soft tortillas rather than a hard taco shell.

2. DoobieWah

DoobieWah 500+ Posts

Mine would have nothing but finely chopped onion and fresh chopped cilantro. Maybe some finely chopped fresh jalapeno.

That's it.

For 40?

I would also have lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, sour cream, cheese, limes, a variety of bottled hot sauces, pico de gallo, fresh and pickled jalapenos, corn and flour tortillas...

...and tequila shots.

But that's just me.

[​IMG]

3. 12thStudStan

12thStudStan 250+ Posts

Some folks like bbq sauce with their brisket tacos, otherwise the list above pretty much covers it. I'm happy with some roasted peppers & onions on mine, but everybody is different.

For 40 average eaters (mix of gender & age) I would plan on smoking at least 4 briskets (packer) in the 12lb range. You will yield about 40% after shrinkage & trimming or about 19-20lbs of cooked meat which would be close to 1/2 lb per person. You can make 2-3 tacos out of a 1/2lb of brisket especially with all the taco accoutrements to act as fillers. If your crowd is made up of big eaters or extras could show up then you might want to add a brisket. Leftover brisket is never a mistake.

I usually smoke some sausage along with the briskets whenever I am doing bbq tacos for a group. Smoked sausage is easy to include on the pit, is very tortilla friendly, adds variety and tends to be very popular with kids. Just a thought. Good luck.

4. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

Excellent suggestions. Thanks!

My plan was to smoke a couple of briskets and and finish them in the oven. Then I would have the time to do some spicy beef kabobs (suyah).

I really like the idea of doing sausage as well. My assistant is going to make red beans and rice.

5. Beef

Beef 100+ Posts

I made some for our SuperBowl party and they where a huge hit.

Brisket- I cheated and used the HEB fully cooked. It was allsome.
    Sandy's Tortillas (http://www.sandystortillas.com/main.htm)
    Queso Fresco
    chopped onion
    cilantro
    fresh lime

6. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

7. MaximumBarnes

MaximumBarnes 100+ Posts

If I had the recipe for the tacos at Mia's in Dallas I would probably never eat another meal outside of my home again. Alas, I don't have it so this post is pointless.

8. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

somebody describe these infamous Mia's tacos in detail.

i found some brisket tacos nearby but it was just sliced brisket in a tortilla with onions and pickles.

what does Mia's do? when you taste them does it have a Mexican taste to them?

9. MaximumBarnes

MaximumBarnes 100+ Posts

Mia's takes shreded or chunked up smoked brisket and then stews it briefly in something really good. Whatever they stew it in has onions and peppers in it and has maybe a mild chicken stock base to it. It's pretty salty. They drain it and put the meat, onions, and peppers in a flour tortilla with some jack cheese and serves them with a little cup of some gravy that I think is just liquid the meat stewed in, reduced slightly.

I wouldn't say it has a distinct or recognizable Tex-Mex flavor. They're sort of in a class all to themselves. But they do come with Mexican rice and refried beans, though.

10. Ankf00

Ankf00 250+ Posts

how do you do your kabobs?

11. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

I have made suyah about three different ways. The recipe below is the one I like best, except I add a hell of a lot more black pepper. There was an Eritria booth at the Folk Life Festival one year and they served a really black-peppery suyah. I've never quite been able to match it, but I'll keep on trying.

This is one of Steve Raichlen's recipes. It is ridiculously easy to make and everyone loves them. You can find it on pg 137 of his Barbeque Bible.

1 1/2 pounds boneless beef sirloin
    3 beef bouillon cubes
    1 tablespoon water
    1 to 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper, plus 1 tablespoon for serving
    1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, for serving

1. Cut the beef into 1/2-inch cubes. Crumble the bouillon cubes in a large bowl and mix with the water to make a thick paste. Stir in the cayenne, black pepper, and salt. Add in the meat and toss thoroughly to coat. Cover and let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 1 to 2 hours.
    2. Preheat the grill to high.
    3. Remove the beef from the marinade and thread onto the skewers, 6 -8 cubes to a skewer, leaving the point (the last 1/4 inch of the skewer) exposed. Pour the oil on a plate and roll the skewers around in it to coat the meat.
    4. When ready to cook, arrange the skewers on the hot grill grate and grill, turning with tongs, until the meat is cooked to taste, 2-3 minutes per side.
    5. Place the onion in a small bowl and the additional 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper in another. To eat, spear a piece of onion on the end of the skewer, then sprinkle the meat with as much additional cayenne as you can bear.

I have done several parties with 3-4 different kinds of kabobs. I haven't tasted suyah in a while because it gets gobbled down before I can finish at the kabob pit.

12. austintexas

austintexas Guest

Pok E Jo's has breakfast brisket tacos. i duck in sometimes on 5th St. on my way into work. they're mighty tasty.

13. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

wait, is this about kabobs, or brisket tacos?

this mias taco sounds very good. now i have something to do this year during my annual trek to dallas before slamming beers starting at 8 am on the way to the fair.

14. huge

huge 250+ Posts

mias is, in fact, the ****.

almost a reason by itself to go to dallas.

15. MaximumBarnes

MaximumBarnes 100+ Posts

Is that some kind of joke? It's practically the only reason to go to Dallas.

16. C-Man

C-Man 250+ Posts

17. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

Going to Mia's on a Saturday afternoon, when they have free cups of homemade bean soup, and getting brisket tacos and a Pacifco, is pure nirvana.

Next time you're in Dallas, po, you have to go. Give us a shout. I bet we could get a nice group of hornfans posters to join you.

18. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

We need to add a brisket taco recipe to the HF recipe book.