British forgetting their history?

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by jmatt, Feb 4, 2008.

1. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

And I thought we were bad over here.

Granted, the poll only talked to 3000 people, but still...

The Link

2. KC-97HORN

KC-97HORN 500+ Posts

see, the last part of the article saying that 60% believed Sherlock Homles and the 33% thinking Biggles werent myths tells me the guys doingthe polll MUST have not made it too clear.

There is no ******* way that 60% of Britian's population is thinking Sherlock Holmes was real

They must have made the questions too confusing, making people think they were being asked if they wanted them to be real or something.

And yes I am being serious. I know the U.S. population is full of morons, but I highly doubt that 1800 people out of 3000 would say Jack Ryan was a real person who saved us from the Soviet Union.

3. DMLonghorn

DMLonghorn 100+ Posts

I'm pretty sure that Sherlock Holmes is always atop the list of fictional characters people think are real. I'd believe that. That a quarter think that WC was fictional is beyond me though.

4. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

yeah i understand the Holmes thing, but Churchill? That would be like Americans thinking FDR or Patton were a myth. WTF.

5. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

The BBC must not be doing its job.

6. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

7. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

8. LostinTime

LostinTime 25+ Posts

They are not forgeting they aren't being taught that he was a great man. The same crap is going on here. [​IMG]

9. Nivek

Nivek 500+ Posts

10. hornfanuk

hornfanuk 100+ Posts

UKTV is pretty low end in its target audience and we've no info on how they ran their survey. I suspect if the BBC ran the same poll, the numbers would be much better. Even so it is still rather disappointing.

11. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

My girlfriend said at her work the trivia question "What are the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria?"

She didn't feel like answering until the 5th wrong answer when she said "are you people serious? Those are the ships that Columbus took to discover the new world in 1492!"

Everyone just looked at each other. She works with recent high school graduates...

12. Captain Murphy

Captain Murphy 250+ Posts

13. LondonOllie

LondonOllie 250+ Posts

Survey taken by UKTV Gold?

Hmmm, probably not a good group of people to poll.

LOL!

14. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

I don't understand how people could think Churchill was a myth. Do they thing the UK was run by trained chimps during WWII?

15. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

Well, considering Churchill was ousted as the Leader of Britian about 5 hours after Germany surendered, its really no suprise. Although, the Sherlock Holmes should have been elemtary, my dear Watson

16. Eating Club

Eating Club 250+ Posts

British education deemphasizes and shames alot of their history. Patriotism is heavily discouraged (except during soccer games).

17. HornsOverIthaca

HornsOverIthaca 250+ Posts

Churchill was voted Greatest Briton a few years back.
    And the UK was run by trained chimps before World War 2.
    Instead of Columbus day in school we had Indian day. Yes, Indian day, not Native American day.

18. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Are you sure this survey is real? It could be a myth.
    Aren't there 25% of Americans who believe the moon landing was filmed in a TV studio? I don't think we should pick on Britain too much.

19. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay 500+ Posts

20. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

That a quarter think that WC was fictional is beyond me though.

I think 40% of the people in this country believe saddam hussein was behind 9/11...the truth of the matter is that more thna half the population on the planet will believe what thye here....i wonder how many people in russia and/or europe believe crap like this....
    The Link

21. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

that was believe what they hear....

22. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

I don't know who they polled but I am calling BS.

23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

24. Fat Crazy Hippie

Fat Crazy Hippie 250+ Posts

Maybe they are stating that the legend is a myth, I would agree.

25. jcdenton

jcdenton 250+ Posts

26. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

shotgun, the Chinaman is not the issue here.

27. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

These examples are really pretty obvious, but I can't blame them too much for being confused. I had a hard time when I was in school staying awake learning about 200 years in my History classes. Imagine having to learn thousands of years of history in the same amount of time. I can't believe they spend much more than 10 minutes each school day on every 50 year period.

28. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.

29. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts