Browns GM Expects Weeden to Start

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BigEarlinBastrop, May 22, 2012.

1. BigEarlinBastrop

BigEarlinBastrop 250+ Posts

2. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

We will have an open competition, but our intention is for Weeden to win. Gee, that doesnt sound so open.

3. hudsonhorn

hudsonhorn 500+ Posts

Not open at all. Colt will be holding the clipboard.

4. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Colt needs out of the mistake on the lake...like yesterday. It wouldn't even hurt him to go somewhere like a Green Bay and be the backup. He would at the very least be getting competent coaching, plus the chance to be with a real and talented football team, instead of one that obviously doesn't have a clue.

5. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

As ****** as that is for Colt, I feel sorry for Weeden. His line sucks, and he holds the ball too long at times. That's a real dangerous combination. Did I mention that he doesn't have anyone who can get open? There's that, too. So after Weeden gets hurt, Colt will get another chance to get hurt again. What a deal.

6. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Therefore: My comment that Colt needs to get outta Dodge. I don't want to see Weeden hurt, but I sure don't want to see Colt have to go in for him behind that sieve of an O-line.

7. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

That my friends is why the Browns are the Browns. They did this to Tim Couch, Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, and now Colt. In 3 years, they will do it to Weeden. If you insist on asking your QBs to succeed without talent at the skill positions, not sure if even Peyton Manning could win with the Browns.

The Browns are the worst ran franchise in football. Not even Matt Millen could run it worse than it is now.

8. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

Weeden has an old shoulder injury that they are forgetting about. I hope Colt beats him out but if not they are placing a whole lot into someone with a compromised shoulder and his age.

9. BigEarlinBastrop

BigEarlinBastrop 250+ Posts

10. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Just when I think I cannot respect and like Colt more he comes out with that retort. He is class. His Dad and wife need to shut their pie holes and let him manage his career.

11. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

He's a class guy - I'd like to think I would be at least in the ballpark if I were in his shoes. But since I'm not in his shoes, I can say that the Browns have lied to him and strung him out through this entire off season. They don't deserve to have him on their roster. They deserve a whole bunch of "me-first" prima donnas who have no loyalty to their team or their franchise.

12. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

Agreed, he has no choice now but to make the best of it now. If he loses out he will move to a better organization. The Browns have a lot more to worry about than just the QB position.

13. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

Being a back-up QB in the NFL may be among the best gigs available. Low pressure, no concussions, nice paycheck.

14. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

[​IMG]

15. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

In reply to:

16. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

His dad correctly pointed out that the team sent him back in after suffering a concussion; look at the film and his reaction after it and any idiot could see there was a good chance he had a concussion.

The qb is not going to take himself out of the game anymore than a pitcher is likely to in baseball. It goes against the competitive urges that get them to the point where they are. So if his dad recognizes a clear danger and the idiots who run the Browns don't, why not speak up?

I think Colt lacks the physique to be a pro qb and just barely had it to be a college qb; he built his body up in the gym after his first year but he is still the football equivalent of a middle weight boxer who builds himself into a small heavyweight. Nothing good is going to happen.

17. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Let his dad tell his fishing buddies. The NFL is a business and nobody wants or needs their father to critique their employer publicly. It does not go over well in the NFL and we are seeing one way how payback can come back at you. Dad, shut up and find more secure ways to vent your frustration that we all felt too.

18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

It's not like his Dad went out and called a press conference to lambaste the Browns. Someone sought him out and asked his opinion, so he answered.

19. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I and others feel he should be smarter than that. I presume he learned his lesson and will be smarter in the future.

20. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

21. Bigtex112

Bigtex112 500+ Posts

Look, my son plays QB at the High School level. At that level, the Dad should be the one speaking up. But, in my opinion, at the level of NFL, if I were Brad McCoy that night, I would have been on the phone immediately to Colt's Agent. The Agent is the player's representative to the team. He should have been the one screaming bloody murder, publicly. Dad in private.

22. Longtex

Longtex 100+ Posts