Buck Burnette kicked off team

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by 4th_and_18, Nov 6, 2008.

1. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

Chest

I absolutely agree 100% with your comments.

2. Lost_In_Ohio

Lost_In_Ohio 500+ Posts

bozo casanova:

frickin overract much? For gosh sake, dont kill the kid because of some comment he made. He's 19 years old. You never said anything you regret when you were 19? Are we all not human? Are there no second chances?

I dont agree with what Buck said, however he is entitled to his own opinion and who are you to judge him? Mack did what he did and I respect him for it. But people like you who are damning Buck are simply out of line. Do you even know Buck?

As for the team, I seriously doubt that the whole team was affected by Buck's comments. I can assure you that it didnt hurt morale or team chemistry. Do you think the other guys actually care what Buck thinks or says?

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Do you think they may at least just a little? Some, a few? If just a few that is enough. And Mack did not have time to do anything as Buck left on his own accord. Be it before Coach had to make a decision or not, he left. We need to get that clear.

4. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

Lost in Ohio –

Underreact much?

I never understand this line of thinking “He’s a good kid, great family, FCA member. He just misspoke and said something he should have. He should not be judged. Make him run windsprints –but do not kick him off.”

The time for judgment was when Buck casually drops the N-Bomb on Facebook. He is free to say anything he wants to say – but there should not be a commensurate expectation that there are no penalties. At 19 years old, how hard is it not to know that you just do not drop the N-bomb?

Keeping him on the team would start to drive a wedge right through it. Which, by the way, was exactly what happened in circa 1990 with some of our defense and certain black recruits.

5. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

So? Unless you can prove otherwise, Buck left the team and you will state it as such for that is what was released. Unless you can disprove that and have a bonafide source or link.

Do you know what time he made this decision? I do. Did he know it was coming, yes. He could have made a stink, fought it or protested and plea his case and try to stay on. He could have made bigger waves. He chose not to. I give him credit for that.

He does care about this team when you boil it down. Not enough to refrain and have a moment of clarity to not go forward with having that on his publicly viewed page on a popular site.

But read this slowly...Buck Burnette left the team. Wash, rinse, repeat.

7. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

I didn't state it otherwise. Believe what you will.

8. 4th_and_18

4th_and_18 100+ Posts

9. blueag09

blueag09 250+ Posts

the same AAS writer of the posted article wrote the following in a follow-up:

10. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

Not that it matters that much, but it is my understanding that Buck didn't use the N-word.

The word he used was "coon." Hence, the "hunting" reference.

FWIW, I live in Wimberley, and I agree with the decision that he had to leave the team.

11. balter

balter 100+ Posts

Evidently there's gonna be a story about all this on the local CBS news tonight at 10, just so you guys know.

Also, the initial press release from UT last night stated he was "dismissed", as has pretty much everything else I've seen.

12. Lost_In_Ohio

Lost_In_Ohio 500+ Posts

Lonestar:

I understand what you are saying, however I do not agree. By your theory, Sergio, Lamaar and all the others who have committed criminal offenses should be showed the door as well, right?

If you do not know the kid, you can not say whether or not he's a good kid. People that actually know him have all stated that he is a good kid and he made a mistake. He apologized and life goes on. How is this any different from when Lamaar gets a DWI and then Mack says "He's a good kid and he wont do it again" and he's starting a week later? Where's the line? What's the difference?

Again, I agree he should have left b/c it was pretty much the only choice. But, you cannot say he is a bad person.....like my pa always told me, "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me".

Is Mack and Co. going to completley cut off black players saying the so called """""N WORD"""""? I think this would be a good start.

13. balter

balter 100+ Posts

14. Lost_In_Ohio

Lost_In_Ohio 500+ Posts

^^^^ I'm with you.

However, it is all over facebook. A ton of players have used this language on others' facebook acounts. It's N this and N that. Frankly, it's ridiculous.

15. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

16. ampUT

ampUT 100+ Posts

I am 100 % conservative but I will take my licking from the democrats in the same way that I take my lickin' from tech. Times will change , passions will change, but dumbass lives forever. Beyond the age of about 17 you need to figure out the world. Buck, good luck and get in touch with reality.

17. jumanji

jumanji 25+ Posts

i'm shocked some of you are willing to just look the other way. second chances....dui, dwi. completely different things. everything has to be dealt with individually. i feel bad for the kid but sorry doesn't fix it.

there are some things that are flat out unacceptable and this is one of them.

saying an idiot got elected to the white house is one thing. saying a coon or a ***ger is another. you damn well better know what the hell that implies and if you don't, then you really don't belong at UT.

there isn't any wiggle room here. it's a lesson buck should have learned a long time ago. i applaud mack for dealing with it decisively and without any delay.

18. jamaebarrow

jamaebarrow 100+ Posts

I think they should let him back on the team if he issues an apology to his teammates and undergoes diversity training. He also should do volunteer work in East Austin elementary schools and youth programs. That would at least be helping other people rather than having him just leave the team and have there be a lose-lose situation.

Just my thoughts.

19. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I am completely corrected and the wording has indeed changed from he left the team to dismissed from the team. At the time it was that he had left the team. Now several articles and accounts say otherwise. And for that, my comments are incorrect.

20. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Jamae, no, they should not let him back if he says he is sorry. He very well could and would be. But if so much as one, just one single player has any sort of issue with it, that would invalidate any sorrow he may have.

This needs to be ended and it has been ended with is DISMISSAL, not him leaving. (see, I was corrected)

21. bnaroun

bnaroun 25+ Posts

22. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

That was in retort to comments I made earlier when the story was reported differently. He made ref. to my comment then with current, more up to date information. He is not contradicting himself. Read the entire thread in the future, it is helpful.

23. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

This team needs another John Hagy like it needs a hole in its head...

24. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

This one is turning again towards West Mall type discussion. Unless it is football related or team related more than politically related or something like that, post on the West Mall thread. Thanks.

25. Staghorn

Staghorn 25+ Posts

What I have not noticed mentioned is with the release of The Express, UT is likely extra, extra sensitive regarding charges of racism. Very bad timing for Buck to share that . . . at best poor joke, at worst belief.

26. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

27. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

28. 2222Horn

2222Horn 100+ Posts

Why do non-lawyers always "make up" what they think "free speech", "freedom of expression" and "the right to bear arms" means? Where do you get these ideas? Certainly not in classes at UT.

I'm always fascinated at how incorrect people are about the application of free speech (or hate speech).

29. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

Life's lessons. They can come at the most unexpected times.

30. Apostle7550

Apostle7550 100+ Posts

Just my .02, but racial tollerance seems to be a 1-way street. If you're black, you can often say whatever the hell you want. If a black player said something about Bush being cracker-*** whitey, nothing would come of it. I think his comments were incredibly inappropriate. However, he didn't deserve dismissal.