Bummer

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by nashhorn, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

What perspective???? 18-21 year old kids that have not live any life other than hiding beer and weed from their parents?! Give me a freaking break......

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

That's another problem. Stop assuming that just because they are young they don't know anything. These are adults who are very educated and many know what they are talking about. You have a stereotype stuck in your head of all young people and you associate that with these athletes. I know you heard Joseph Ossai talk in his interview. He is a very well spoken, educated young man who knows exactly what he is talking about. Like I said if you actually take the time to listen to what these athletes are saying then you might get a better understanding of what they are talking about.

• Like Like x 1
  3. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

So would you support a player wearing a KKK emblem or Baby’s Lives Matter? I wouldn’t. Would you?

BLM is specifically advocating anti-white actions as well as segregation from whites. By definition, they are racist and for the last three months violent. They have no place at our state university.

These players could be on campus on the actual west mall protesting like every other student.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

Its not a stereotype. I have a 26 year old daughter and she has many moron friends. They are all educated. I spend 24 years in the military and had plenty of "smart" kids in my command. Hell I was in my teens and 20's at one time. I'm pretty darn smart but I didn't know crap at that age. You can't convince me that the kids that play on our team have any life experience to speak about these topics. :soapbox:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Bless your heart. Another ignorant and uninformed liberal who thinks he's getting the truth from the MSM.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Why not handle it like an adult? Keep your political opinions to yourself at work. Don't alienate those around you. Is it really that hard to do?

If so, then don't be shocked when you offend or alienate people. When you do that there are consequences to the actions you've taken

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

They most certainly do because it happens to them all the time!! They get profiled when they walk into stores being watched and followed because they think they are going to steal. Many players have said they were getting so much attitude and hate from officers when getting pulled over until they tell them they are players for Texas then their entire attitude changes toward them. They most certainly do experience injustice and racism at that age and it starts even younger than 18. They may not have had a violent encounter with an officer and some may have but they have been experiencing what everyone is so pissed about most of their life. So they understand what they are speaking about. Just because they have not lived most of their life does not mean they are unaware and inexperienced.

8. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

“All the time”? That is a pile of baloney. Time after time, full videos show everything was fine until they started resisting arrest or brandished a weapon. BLM was founded after Michael Brown attacked a store owner then a police officer and got shot. The Obama justice department investigated and cleared the officer.

There are no doubt bad police officers just as there are bad doctors, lawyers, teachers etc. But there is no evidence there is a systemic problem of police brutality.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Think that's bad? You should have been stationed at Bergstrom in the late 70s when Carol McClellan wanted to somehow seize BAFB so the city could take it over and use Mueller for development. We were harassed with the best of them. Austin cops on the east side thought of us as free meat. The stories I could tell...

Cops work for mayors. They did as they were told pretty much I'd guess, and I'm glad I was mature enough to understand it at the time. In 78 and 79 it was oppressive, but we were told to show respect.

Who is saying that same thing to minority communities? Honest question

10. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

Well then I should join the "protests", I was "profiled" when I was their age. Younger people do because they do stupid ****. I did. And I'm a white guy from Texas.
    My wife owns a store. I watch younger kids when they enter. I don't give 2 shits what color they are.
    So yes life experience does matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Must have struck a nerve with my media choices to describe WM posters. Notice how I never mentioned where I get my information. Heck, even Musberger sticks to conspiracy theory blogs, and that's more reasonable than some of the societal positions taken on Hornfans.

This entire forum is basically a hair to the right of the Constitutional Union party platform. I love my Longhorn sports, but there's no way anyone is changing anyone else's stances on this.

12. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

Not all of us :smokin:
    There are some Libertarians here :popcorn:

13. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

What struck a nerve was another liberal who thinks he has the answers and usually doesn't know much of anything. Seriously, the amount of disinformation that passes off and accepted as news by you guys is hilarious whether it's Russian Collusion, Trump calling troops losers, teenager laughing and intimidating an innocent Native American, etc.. After the amount of disinformation that you guys buy into and then you want to comment on conservative news sites?

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  14. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Not a single brave thing about this. Every single one of those girls is a mass media drone. It doesn’t take courage to be politically correct.

• Like Like x 3
  15. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

Careful....Shifty Schiff might try an unlawful impeachment again.....

• Like Like x 1
  16. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I never mentioned any of that stuff. There are hot takes about all of those topics from all angles. Trusting the angles that have articles like "What Trump Meant During the Woodward Interviews" is a step past disbelief and moving into apologist territory.

17. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

True confession, I wouldn’t mind a “babies lives matter” sticker. Sorry but that’s just me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

I have been profiled and I remember my dad being profiled as a kid. Both times got pulled over and asked to get out of the car. It was humiliating for sure, but I am not for BLM or defunding police. I am for policing reform and for privatizing security or volunteer security. But police have their place, the bad ones just have to be punished severely to keep the others in check.

19. Sam Fowler

Sam Fowler < 25 Posts

The thing that gets me about NCAA or NFL restricting the message that can be promoted is: what about other voices that can't be heard? Why only BLM?
    - aborted babies
    - police officers slain as a result of violence from BLM protests and their families
    - hundreds, maybe thousands of business owners (many minority) who have lost everything due to violence brought on from BLM protests
    - BTW, what happened to the MeToo movement? It just went silent
    I haven't seen major sports give others a voice.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

US Open tennis champ wears several black masks with the names of folks killed by police resisting arrest and/or overdosing on drugs. Maybe one name was legit.

21. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Nothing better than a person named Osaka trying to virtue signal about black people. I would respect her more if she spoke out about how unnecessary dropping nukes on Japan was.

22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm not jumping into this hornets nest, because I never cared about UT football or any kind of college football. However, I always have to chuckle when some woke tool who's deep in slogans but laughably shallow on facts and reality uses the term "ignorant" to describe the people who disagree with all the stuff he or she "knows" that very obviously isn't so.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  23. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

The Me Too era ended when Biden was accused of it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I would guarantee if any of those players put a Trump 2020 patch on his jersey the libs on this board and on that team would absolutely explode. It's not about free speech, it's about THEIR free speech. Publicly supporting something other than BLM narrative is wrong in your eyes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Dr. Fauci is defending Trump's statements. Is he an apologist? It was a nothingburger.

26. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

This board reflects the reality that the “bring us together” mantra is utopian dreaming. We are not united on much of anything and aren’t likely to be.

sincere, carefully considered opinions on all sides reflect a huge gulf.

I cannot get my lib friends to acknowledge that people who vote for the demon in the White House may have legit reasons for preferring this demon living there now over the demon who seeks to replace him.

and trying to convince Friends on the right that Biden and his blm crew are not existential threats however looney their prescriptions are is a waste of breath.
    I find both sides to be geysers of bad analysis and solutions that will just create new problems

none of the above is not a solution but it is my corner to retreat to

I will sleep early and restfully on election night after seeing who wins the local races I am interested in

you guys can enjoy the panic attacks of the next two months

27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Hui, your post would have been better if you had written, “the demon from the basement who seeks to replace him”. That is all.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I’ll let you and Sterns defend this.

• Winner Winner x 3
  29. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

A good business model is not to alienate half of your customers. But hey the entirely of the entertainment industry has done that for 15 years. Difference is no one in the rest of the world gives a rats *** about USA college football.

Unless you've grown up watching it, let's be honest. It's super boring, has silly and un-followable rules, and takes 4 hours to have 12 minutes of action (and people complain about kick ball). No one outside the USA is coming to the ratings rescue if half the audience turns it off.

• Like Like x 3
  30. lkainer

lkainer 500+ Posts

Completely agree. I have been harassed by police as well when I was young. I was taught to say "yes sir and no sir." I'm older now but still keep my hands at 10 and 2 if pulled over. It's common sense sense and not race related. The police have to protect themselves and deal with some bad people.

If BLM cared about black people at all they would tell everyone the same.

Interesting interviews on racism in America.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.