Burn it down!!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by moondog_LFZ, Nov 14, 2021.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

It has gotten real bad if Moon is saying burn it down

2. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

But thats not my point

• Like Like x 1
  3. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I recall what Coach Royal said about scoring, "When you get in the end zone and score, act like you've been there before."

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

When you turn it over deep in enemy territory, it's certainly painful for your offense, but it's not like you just gave the other team a short field. The defense gave up five touchdowns on drives of 65+ yards to the same offense that scored 17 on FCS South Dakota, 7 on Baylor and Iowa State, 3 on Oklahoma State, and 0 on the first team D of Texas Tech (they scored twice on the 3rd string in the final minute of the 4th quarter after being down 41-0).

Not just mostly. He had never been on the field for an offensive snap until last night.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  7. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

OMG! That’s crazy! After our DC reviews the film, close to all of the D starters need to ride the pine for last two games. We’ve seen them play better than they have, and they should have had a field day swarming in to get to the QB and RBs. It’s become obvious that they do not care about the team, the program nor the University. And good luck getting picked up from the portal. No coach in their right mind would offer them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

First rule of defense on the goal line is protect the front line against the short pass. we were so deep in the endzone, the fattest girl at Blanton dorm would have been open. If Schooler is in position, the ball never gets to the WR.

(Technically, that's not true. If Schooler had been "in position", he would have been waving a towel from the sideline. Why is he out there?)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Too bad most of our offense hasn't been there before, and none of them are theater majors to act.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

I didn't watch any of the game because I like to keep my BP in check. But seriously was Texas in zone coverage??? If so, that would be the problem

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hill,

It was hard to tell what the coverage was supposed to be because Kansas flooded the right side, but the QB did not roll until he hard THREE "not so fast" Longhorns in his face. The receiver ran about half a foot into the endzone and turned around. Schooler appeared to come from about 4 yards deep, dove in front but missed the ball.

My question remains - why wasn't there a picket line along the goal line?

Another, why didn't our DL & ?? (don't know if they were supposed to be LBs, DBs, or what) have their hands up when it became apparent they weren't getting to the QB and he threw the ball?

Keep in mind that I'm doing this from a feeble memory because I haven't hated me enough to force myself to watch the recording yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

That's not really accurate about schooler on that 2 pt conversion. He didn't get there in time to attempt to knock the ball away. No he got there when the dude had the ball already. Lack of anticipation. The QB had time to roll out but nobody had time to cover the guy. Sheesh

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Are you saying two of our three lardass, but really slow DL & the whatever he was supposed to be that flushed the QB out gave the DBs so much hope that they relaxed their coverage?

Please don't reply "what coverage".

14. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

This made me laugh. Good on you Sabre. :smile1:

15. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

And why, when they did flush the QB, do we not have a single player who can actually run down, with a proper angle, a QB and sack his *** or disrupt the pass?

• Like Like x 1
  16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

HIC,

They let him outside before they got free BUT the non DL had a clear path and appeared to not gain a step. It also appeared he had a receiver open in the back of the endzone.

17. horninchicago

Yeah, how many sacks have we actually had this year? No speed to run down a QB....playing for KU.

18. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, 11...
    People bashing Card makes no sense to me. Part of the want it all and want it now culture. Kid is 19 and played in 3+ CFB games. Wow people. Chill a bit would ya??
    Hate to say it but if I was one of those young men with options why come here and face this fan base??
    Coach X from school X come clip this off this thread and show it to recruit X.
    Getting so old....

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Been to games in most of the major stadiums & schools, and while lots of things I disagree with in our fanbase, it is still better than almost any of the majors.

As for Hudson, most of the negative I've read & posted on here are in response to calls for him to start or he is the solution to our problems. I would hate to see the kid be the next Garrett Gilbert. He is very talented, but has a lot to learn.

As for negative recruiting on this, that is laughable. I am an expert in negative recruiting having battled OU, SMU, A&M, et al at the height of cheating, not to mention wealthy alums telling kids & their parents that the coach was being fired and they didn't know who the new coach would be.

I respect your opinion and posts, and your dislike of mine, but it will NOT impact recruiting either way. Cancers in the locker room will and are killing recruiting.

:beertoast:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Eh, the QB rolled out from the pressure almost immediately and curled rapidly for the sidelines. It's pretty hard to sack anybody doing that unless you blow by the OL completely unblocked whatsoever. DL did enough that the pass should have been very tough to complete, because the field is already drastically compressed vertically and now it's compressed horizontally as well. DBs in that situation only really have to cover about 20% of what they usually have to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Stat,

Why wasn't the LB/DB taking the angle to put more pressure instead of falling behind the DL? (I have yet to watch the recording)

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. horninchicago

They suck and are slow.

See above.

23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

HIC,

I thought at the time they were afraid the QB would tuck the ball and run back up the middle, where there weren't many defenders

24. horninchicago

I bet if any of these guys were on one of my flights and I had a landing as bad as they play, they wouldn't be afraid to tell me about it. So, before anyone gets their feelings hurt here, yes, they suck and are slow, for Texas Longhorn football players.

25. horninchicago

Yeah, Texas players should be afraid of a KU QB.

26. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

When the QB got flushed nobody was catching him. Just bc he’s a backup doesn’t mean he’s slow. He’s a good athlete. Walk-on who caught it had never played a down. Safety was too late and we made a hero out of a walk-on - who proceeded to dance on the logo with no resistance from the home team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. horninchicago

Yep. A good defense wold have asked him or disrupted the throw.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  28. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

The failure was not covering the receiver. We, or anyone, had no chance to get to the QB unless we had a blitz called from that end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I couldn't tell if we had a blitz or a spy; either way he was nowhere near making a play.

I would submit the failure was not protecting the first two feet of the endzone, which is rule #1. Serious question is did the DBs not know that or have they not been taught that?

• Like Like x 1
  30. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

We have seen this occuring time and again in general how a guy gets open near the front of the end zone and then the defender be it safety or LB gets there too late. I have often wondered why the defender doesn't immediately get on the guys hip anticipating a throw. There should be more defenders than receivers. When a receiver comes near your area, get on him