buying cell phone on ebay

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by po elvis, Jan 29, 2006.

1. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

i lost my phone. i am probably going to buy a new one on ebay. nothing too expensive. they have new ones of my model for like $120 after the shipping.

is there anything i need to be cautious about buying a phone on ebay? they say they are new, unlocked, & work with cingular. seller has lots of feedback selling phones.

any words of advice before i click on the "buy" button?

2. andaval

andaval 100+ Posts

I'm about to be selling two Cingular phones -- a Nokia 6230b and a Nokia 3220. I'm in Austin, so it could be a fast turnaround if you are too. They are both in great condition, I'm just switching to Sprint. PM me if interested.

3. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

I just bought one and had no problems. Just check the buyer's feedback. Some auctions will give you the ESN that you can verify with your provider.

4. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

I've bought and sold several items on ebay. Easy...like previous posters have said, check feedback.

5. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

thanks for the offer andaval, but i am out of state and went ahead and bought one on ebay.

another question:

when you lose your cell phone and suspend the service, does anybody that finds your cell phone have access to the pictures you have taken on the cell phone or to your address book?

6. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

Yes, the address book and photos are stored on the phone. They can still be accessed without service.

7. UberHorn

UberHorn 25+ Posts

i've bought 8-10 used phones on ebay. always ask the seller for the esn before you bid so you can call customer service & make sure the phone can be activated. if the seller refuses to provide the esn then i'd advise you to not bid.

8. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

oh well. it only took a week for my brand new phone from ebay to break. the screen don't work anymore.

well, atleast i can still make calls on it if i remember the number.

9. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

Depending on the type, you might be able to get the screen replaced at a service center. After mine "broke" after the Big XII game in 2001, I got it fixed for $25.