Buying Domain Name

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by NEWDOC2002, Apr 23, 2011.

1. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

Anyone experienced in buying and selling domains.

I've got a quote on a domain I'd like to have for an ancillary business affiliated with a clinic I'm partnered. I have no experience in domain purchasing and while I won't be dependent on online ordering, I would like the name to fit with the business and be easy to get to on the net.

The price of the domain is $750 and I'm surprised it hasn't been launched as an actual website.

Is this price typical for a non branded web site? Do you negotiate in these transactions? Thanks.

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I own a few domains and have had a couple offers, but I can't claim any expertise in this area. I guess the only advice I would have is to treat it like any other asset that could be of value to your business. If the $750 price is OK with you and you see some value in owning the domain, then you should probably take it. Also consider whether there might be some resale value down the road if you ever wanted to get rid of it.

3. KazooMan

KazooMan 250+ Posts

Another option is to do some searching on a domain registration site (like GoDaddy). Is there a similar name that has not already been registered that you could use? It is much cheaper to purchase and register an unregistered domain name than buying an existing one.

Play around with your company name and see what variations might work. You might be surprised how easily you can find a domain name you can then register.

And if that doesn't work, you can always pay the negotiated price for the domain name you want - and I emphasize the negotiated. Don't jump at the first offer. Use the option of registering another name (but don't tell them what) as a negotiation ploy. Good luck!

4. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the help. I purchased the domain name after negotiating about 25% off. I still didn't want to pay multiple times the price of registering an original domain name, but this one is exactly the name I need and it's a .com.

5. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts