Buying HDTVs on line

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by DigglerontheHoof, Apr 27, 2007.

1. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

Has anyone ever bought anything from these guys?

I'm looking to get a 32" flat screen plasma for our bedroom...any recommendations on brands and best (trusted) places to order them on line?

Thanks.

EDIT...is $1029 a good price on a Sharp Aquos LC-32D62U 32" 1080P High Definition LCD Television?

2. #3Rules

#3Rules 250+ Posts

I've never bought from them, but do they even make 32" plasmas? Do you mean LCD? I've got the 32" Vizio LCD -The Link They've got it down to $599 now at Sam's and Costco. Would make a great TV for the bedroom. I love mine, but am about to move it to the bedroom and get the 42".

I know I didn't answer your question, but just my 2 cents, save yourself a little bit of cheese on the TV for the bedroom.

3. DigglerontheHoof

#3...I don't know what I mean...when it comes to HDTVs I'm an idiot savant...sans the savant part.

Yikes...they were a "trusted" retailer w/ a high rating on nextag.com...of course I don't know much about nextag either....damn the interweb is frustrating sometimes.

All I know is I don't want to pay what Bestbuy and Circuit City et all charge.

Any input would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

4. DigglerontheHoof

5. hlaustin

hlaustin 250+ Posts

If you are in Austin send me a pm and let me see what I can do for you on the price of the set you are looking for.

6. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

Buy locally if at all possible. The online TV sites can be a mess. My 80 year old father tried to buy a plasma in January from TV Authority and they never shipped yet charged his card. When first contacted they said it was on the way, then they wouldn't return phone calls or emails and he never got the set. Two months later he got the credit back on his card by calling the CC company and going through a waiting period.

Buy locally from a salesperson you know people have had some experience with. Harlan at A&B TV in Austin has been great for Hornfans users.

7. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts

You might also check reviews at CNET. com . They also have links to best prices for your TV.

8. BIGsteve041

BIGsteve041 25+ Posts

Heres what you should do. Go to Best Buy or Circuit City or some other retailer that has the televisions you are looking for on display. Find the model you want. Write down the model number. Then you can go online and find the best price. If a salesperson comes and tries to haggle you at someplace ask their advice but tell them up front you are shopping around looking for the best price and will come back if they have it. It will lessen the pressure they put on you. They will offer to price match and such but let them know bluntly you are not purchasing today but will come back. You don't have to but this will save you from being pressured and getting pissed off.

The reason I say on display is because there are lots of models that even one model number off makes a world of difference. The internet can only show you so much. Actually seeing what the tv will look like will help you tremendously.

9. Twigg

Twigg < 25 Posts

bought a 50 inch pioneer plasma from beachcamera.com. (highest rated vendor on pricegrabber.com) it went great. online is the way to go as long as you stay away from tvauthority.

10. veggieboy

veggieboy 500+ Posts

Be sure to pm hlaustin, he is a world of help.

I am going to buy from beachcamera.com, when I get around to buying my TV.

I've done a lot of research and read a ton of reviews, and beachcamera had the best prices and best reviews I saw.

11. Beef

Beef 100+ Posts

B&H is a great company. I know lots of people that have bought all kinds of things (including TVs) from them.

12. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

got my 50" DLP from abt electronics out of chicago area (im in austin). they were the most amazing customer service ive ever encountered. i had a few questions and the service rep i spoke with one day told me the exact times he was in the next so i could call back. but if i had to call another time just ask for another guy by name and they will know my situation...... and holy hell all of em were on the ball.

just make sure you order your TV from an authorized dealer. if you dont, the warranty will not be valid. if you want a 3rd party warranty i used tapeworkstexas or some such. that was even more kickass customer service.

amazing how when people just do their job, nothing special really, but just doing their job, it can make such a huge impression these days.

13. hlaustin

hlaustin 250+ Posts

Ok if you are in Austin, at least give me a shot at what you are looking at. I have helped out many on this board and for the authorized sites usually have a better price and can work on some of the prices for the ones that are not authorized. And to the one poster who says just go in and look at all the displays and if approached ask all the questions, what would happen if you didn't have that local dealer to go in and look at the displays to see for yourself what looks better. Is there not a small price to deal with someone local and have them there if there is a problem with the set or when you have a question? It amazes me how people complain about service and then feel they should by something on-line.