Cal vs. Texas Game 4

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NBHorn7, Mar 6, 2016.

1. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

That "historical loss" lies directly at the feet of Skip.

2. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

The historical loss was because of an error at first base. You seem to keep overlooking this. I can post this, if it's required. I also beiieve it took three losses in the first three games of the series, before this one could be historical. How did they play out?

Just like you keep looking past the hitting and position player recruiting issues, and who is responsible for them.

These are the real pressing issues for this program and have been for years. Yet you keep on going after the only coach that has done his job well, the past several years.

Without his pitching staff, there wouldn't be any talk of coaching changes now, they would have already been made.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  3. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Sorry, but you keep misrepresenting what I post/say. Firstly, it was a touch play at first....but more importantly, Cal had already scored what...6 runs at that time? You don't give up 6 runs in the 9th and not change pitchers. He should have been pulled after the 3rd run. But Skip was determined to leave him in...no matter what.....just sayin.

2 of those first 3 games were winnable, as well. Mistakes by 2 players who would not be playing those positions but for injuries.

I think Skip is a great coach of pitchers....one of the 3 best in the country. But his weakness is predetermining his pitcher's count/rotation, etc.....and not having a feel for what's happening "in the moment." But mistakes are made, and this one is clearly at Skip's feet.
    As for position player recruiting, we've got great recruits. Hitting is another issue, and it's going to be an issue due to the size of our facility among other things. Look at Okie State.....always have great batting averages because of the size of their facility. I'm all for a great coach tutoring or players on hitting. I think the coaches do a pathetic job of alerting our players as to what pitches to expect.....not to mention swinging and swinging at high fast balls out of the strike zone. But hitting is the last thing that comes around. So maybe there's hope, esp. when our injured players return and get some games under their belts.

4. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I agree with NBHorn. The first 3 games of this series, we scored a total of 4 runs. Even if Skip replaces Shugart, as you wanted him to, and we win Game 4 let's say 7-6, how does that make it so much better? That alone would mean everything is OK? NBHorn is right, you keep harping on Skip's handling of the pitchers in-game, when that is not the problem AT ALL with this team. We simply cannot hit with RISP and have not for 5 years or more. Smallball won't work if you push the runner to 2nd and then strand him there.

5. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

No, you are again wrong, four runs had been given up, at the time, two outs, the tying run on at second. The score was 7-2 entering the ninth. You seem to forget that I watched every pitch. It sure sounds like you didn't. You just pull numbers up, like the 20 losses Skip was supposed to be responsible for, then the first example you give is totally wrong.

Many don't follow the games closely enough to comment correctly, but I do.

Also the runner stumbled rounding third and if the ball had been picked up immediately and thrown home, he would have been nailed at the plate.

A ground ball to short, the throw in time, but the ball is dropped, tying run scores. Without the error the game ends in a 7-6 Texas victory and your little rant never takes place. Is this or is this not a fact? I think the object of the game is to win and that is what would have happened, it's why they are called unearned runs.

Since I guess this is required, here it is. Take note of the third to last paragraph about how the tying run scored.

Texas Longhorns Athletics - Baseball lets No. 12 California slip by in series finale

The game should have been won with Shugart still on the mound and that is just one of those pesky facts again. The problem is it doesn't fit your agenda, which we all know what that is.

The size of the facility has nothing to do with being a good hitting team. Texas has had plenty of good hitting teams since 1975, I'm pretty sure of that, in fact I know they have. Good hitters don't worry about the size of the park. Good hitters can hit in Yellowstone park. Cal had no problem with the park size.

Mark Payton had to bat in the third and clean-up because we didn't have anybody else to bat there. He would have been one of the best leadoff men in college baseball history, on past Texas teams. It hasn't gotten better. He only came here as I have documented, because the head coach at ASU, who had him going there was forced to resign. He dropped into our lap by accident, not by recruitment. Think how we would have been on offense without him for four years.

Have I mentioned the livelier baseball that was brought in, it hasn't helped Texas, it has hurt more, as it affects the pitching.

Why was Harmon fired if we were doing so well in recruiting, that was the reason. You have to have all coaches out threre recruiting hard in college baseball today. That isn't happening, hasn't for years. Things haven't improved since he left. We haven't had good hitters, just haven't. I also said the defense is worse and it is.

Again you shouldn't have to be taught how to hit, when you get here. You really believe Texas hasn't been able to hit, because they aren't being tipped, as to what the pitches will be, that's a new one. That's digging deep for reasons. You just can't come to grips with what has gone on the last five plus years.

As I said before, the coaching staff would have already been fired or forced to resign, if it wasn't for Skip and his pitching staffs keeping things from totally cratering the past several years. How about this? Is this true or not?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016