Caleb Williams to the Portal... keeps open option to return to OU

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LHABSOB, Jan 3, 2022.

?

For the 2022 season Caleb Williams will be the QB at

Poll closed Jan 10, 2022.
  1. Oklahoma

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. USC

27 vote(s)
    64.3%
  3. Georgia

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Other

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

2. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

I don’t know who, how or why we got the NIL but I do believe that it will destroy the spirit and love for the college game. It is a leaking boat. And some of those supporting it are nearsighted. Only fools pick a fight they cannot win and when you are getting into a bidding war with the big schools, and especially The University oh Texas, you are the fool who started a fight you cannot win.

The portal was bad enough but it did allow those who could not see the field the chance to move to a program that needs their talent. Or, perhaps players need to reverse a bad decision made coming out of high school. But when you couple it with the NIL it may empty the stadiums of the less rich schools who can no longer compete. When this pig called the NIL is cut open this years aggie’s success at recruiting may, and I say may, be a case study of how a mediocre team moves to the top of the competition by taking advantage of the NIL. And, perhaps Texas this year could be another example, to a lesser extent. But in time Texas can be at the top of any bidding war.

Maybe I just don’t know enough about this. What am I missing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pickle_Nuts

Pickle_Nuts Will travel with tickets.

srsly, how many NIL can the Chicken and Champion Firearms support?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  4. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

The thing about NIL is that it's not going to play out by conventional rules. People can get obsessed and people can get creative. The real generator of NCAA income is fans enjoying the spectacle and drama of college sports. Gotta be careful that it doesn't become a sport of disloyal mercenaries...cause it's hard to love those guys even if you're paying them.

5. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

There are going to be good players get fat and lazy with their new bank accounts and it will show in their efforts on the field.
    Players who really play for love of the game will still excel.
    The Bradys, Mannings and Aikmans of the world that give up contracted money to keep a team together.
    Because they want to win.
    I wonder.
    Could a player such, as Ewers, take some of his NIL money and create a foundation that offers NIL to other players on the team?
    Spread the wealth, so to speak?

6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I used to visit one of our major plants in Geismar regularly in the late 90’s and early 2000. Knowing we were from the corporate technical center or headquarters from Texas, the operators would say something about LSU baseball (gorilla ball) and their multiple championships. When Texas was winning baseball championships in 2001-2005, they didn’t appreciate it when I threw it back at them. Emotional, yes.

• Like Like x 2
  7. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

We're in the middle of the chaos of the "new NIL." I imagine that things will settle. There will be transfers, but fewer than the next two or so years. I don't like that I see (Quinn Ewers excepted obviously) now.

Regardless of NIL, there was also an immense amount of high profile coaching changes that also played into the dynamic.

I think once the dam bursting has run its course, we'll be down to a steady, but manageable stream.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I liken it to when Jerry Jones started paying huge bonuses to players to get the team under the salary cap. Owners such as Art Modell were very upset about this. But it seemed to me that Modell (and Jones) were not factoring poor decision making as to which player would get the big bonus. The Cowboys ended up in salary cap hell for many years. Lot's of dead money. So the got smarter.

It's the same with the NIL. Right now it's all about the money. But is Ewers making a mistake in chasing the money versus his personal development. There's a trade-off because at some point he has to produce on the field to the level he is being hyped.

It's a pendulum and as John Mellencamp said in the song Between a Laugh and a Tear:

"I see the balance when I swing past."

9. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

As far as NIL, I don't think anyone knows enough. It's the Wild West right now.

Concerning transfers: I support each player having one unlimited, unrestricted portal transfer during their career. After that, the classic transfer restrictions (sitting out a year, etc.) should be put into place.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Moondog my man, you are living in the 1940’s-50’s. These fat cats ain’t giving up no cash ‘cept for the ladies and some family, maybe. And their want to win in most cases will be overshadowed by their performance because of the potential dinero at the next level, just like it often does now. There will seldom be sacrifices made for the sake of the team when the $’s get big, and for the studs I am guessing the pot will be just that. Get ready, the game of college football is about to change.

11. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

Exactly!!!!!!! When he suits up for the goobers and torches us for 5 TDs I'll hate him too. Hence the use of the word YET.

12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No. But you have to sit out a year on the 2nd go-round.

13. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Millionaire college players will make bad off the field decisions and ruin a program. Law suits will fly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You mean civil suits alleging failure to uphold contract, etc., and forfeiture of funds? I hope so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Maybe some good may come of it. NIL bonus for playing in bowl games (or penalties for opting out.)

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I always tell my directors that if you pay me (or really my P/L center), you own me. Some see it as something to take advantage (pay a little, extract more than paid), others see it as all cost and little benefit. Some players may not want it given the strings attached.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

True statement - but it's always good to see Osoner fans in a meltdown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

I think we should hire Barry Switzer to direct our NIL deals.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. LonghornCatholic

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

SW Airlines resurrecting the old Wanna Get Away spots
    Scene 1. Flyover of mobile homes to a stadium full of OU fans,some wearing silly schooner hats; all with a domestic beer and a Marlboro red dangling out of thin lipped angry mouths ;booing their Hiesman candidate Rattler as he leaves the field; while simultaneously chanting ‘Caleb Williams’

Cut to Caleb with a Superman cape flying to LA with one of those jetpacks that we used to see at the start of every UT game when Patterson was the AD.

Pan shot to sad faces OU faces with Budweiser in hand- comically looooong ash on that Marlboro Red somehow remains on the cigarette still dangling from an unshaven face;
    Que Voice Over “Wanna Get Away”27F71DF9-ACD9-4313-AFD6-459C84CA8988.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  21. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

It's a jailbreak! The star QB and star WR busting outta Norman. And they probably won't be the last.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

College football now has free agency just like the NFL. I too believe it will destroy college football if left unchecked.

I'm sure Mr. Williams is just looking for some love of the ca$h variety. OU better be hitting up every mobile home dealer in the state to scrape up a few million so that Caleb will remember that the crimson and cream is his true love.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. LonghornCatholic

And wasn’t decommit Kobie saying he flipped back to OU because it isn’t all about money? Will, it is for his teammates.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

LC
    It could also be Kobie got what he wanted so for him it isn't about the money anymore

• Like Like x 1
  25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Wonder if Casey will end up at ou?

26. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I agree that the NIL deals are going to be the downfall of College Football as we know it. The transfer portal and not having to sit out a year is also detrimental to the sport. Since August 1st, the start of the 2021-22 portal cycle, more than 1,400 FBS players have entered the portal. That's 11 players for every one of the 130 FBS schools. Seems that now with the Transfer Portal and NIL deals, players are looking only at the money and instant playing time. Overall few go to a school because they grew up dreaming of playing football there. It's now how much are they going to be paid and will they start as a true frosh.

27. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Based on what info is available, it's reasonable to say some schools will "hot shot" the portal for quick success. And I suspect we can all name a handful that will. But the long-term play is better: Use the portal/NIL to supplement what you build naturally.

28. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Players only get 1 "no penalty" transfer in their career.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I have to wonder how many of those players will actually improve their situation. It wouldn’t surprise me that it might only be 10% or less. I believe that many will regret their decision.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  30. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Your "10% or less" estimate is probably very accurate.

• Agree Agree x 1