Caleb Williams to the Portal... keeps open option to return to OU

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LHABSOB, Jan 3, 2022.

?

For the 2022 season Caleb Williams will be the QB at

Poll closed Jan 10, 2022.
  1. Oklahoma

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. USC

27 vote(s)
    64.3%
  3. Georgia

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Other

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I know that the recruiting board and other college football outlets have been in a tizzy about A&M spending $30MM for a recruiting class and inking those NIL deals, but that's basically how it's going to be done now. In a way, that's how it was probably done behind closed doors anyhow.

Over in Europe, they find the idea that we have 100K-seat stadiums for "amateurs-who-aren't-really-amateurs" laughable because everyone knows what's really going on. They pay using Adidas or Nike money to effin' 12-year-olds to get on the U15 team and then stay on the U18 and U23 teams in some cases. And they have a ****-ton of clauses about workouts, diet, behavior, being unable to transfer, parental involvement, etc. in order to be able to keep the cash. I know those are pro sports teams and not colleges, but why not trend it that way? Cat's out of the bag.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  2. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

I was on a business call with a coworker/buddy in the UK this morning and the conversation went there - he said basically the same thing. Crazy times...

3. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

All the Sooners in the portal- is this primarily a challenge to OU to get its NIL up and running competitively?

4. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

They have been experts at paying players under the table - apparently having trouble figuring out how to pay on top.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Or is there something else going on?

6. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

The difference between NIL and payola is the scale to be competitive. My guess is that at OU, or a typical SEC team, every scholarship player gets about $40k in extra benefits per year, roughly $3-4M for the roster. Texas’ NIL will be about $10M and up per year.
    Not everybody can afford that, easily. And it’s going up.

7. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Texas $10ml to aggie $25-30? Hmmm, yep they’re going to do well.

8. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

We'll be fine regardless. I expect CW to end up at USC. The word is that UGA didn't have enough $. I think a player like CW should do the long term math. OU puts out NFL QB's. The difference over the first contract from Mac Jones to Trevor Lawrence was about $21,000,000. That and success into the second contract is how you build generational wealth. And, don't tell me Riley did it. Baker was a walk on who was just a natural college QB and Murray is there because of his freaky speed. They also had a TON of future NFL players around them and (most importantly) in front of them. Rattler was a mess and CW was 5-2 with a few games way too close (KU). I'll take a QB with heart who's a leader (like an Ehlinger?) over a guy who calls himself superman.

Look at how Brady chose TB. He saw a stout defense with a straight up NASTY OL along a coach that he could work with. Smart guy. As was alluded to earlier, smart QB's make sure the team has enough to pay around them so they'll be better. I loved watching that OL during Jameis' last year. That center is so good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Well, used cars are in short supply so Big Red might be having cash flow problems.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I think Caleb is headed to South Carolina.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Oh yea?
    Wants to join his old buddy Rattler there?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Exactly. Good catch I was expecting people to tell me I was out of my mind.

13. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I was thinking Bohmar is shaking his head right now.
    I always felt bad for that kid.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  14. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I was thinking the same.’
    Billy gets a 100k deal, ends up abusing some broad two weeks after collecting that check…. Team kicks him off and OU quickly steps in to offer a scholarship before he turns in his cleats.
    Now what?

15. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Some broad?
    Really?

16. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, sorry been watch Goodfellas. Again, great catch.

• Hot Hot x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

18. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

19. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Major, only if there are no more ‘hot shots’, and I don’t think that will ever happen. CW is trolling for dollars.

20. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I’m reversing my opinion on CW. I was disgusted at first. But stepping back, his decision is almost certainly being driven by NIL as others have mentioned. So while I hate the optics and apparent lack of loyalty, I now can’t blame him for working the system to his advantage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

And, to be fair to him, he came for Riley. He apparently doesn’t like that lebby runs the qb. That’s what made him great.