camping in Colorado

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by bmoore15, Jul 11, 2011.

1. bmoore15

bmoore15 100+ Posts

I was going to go camping at Red River, NM but that is no longer an option due to their burn bans. So now I am looking for somewhere in Colorado. The top two places I am looking at are Creede and Telluride. I have never been to Creede but it looks beautiful from the pictures I have seen online and gets good ratings. I have been to Telluride and love it but it is a farther drive and really secluded. Things of interest in Colorado are Mesa Verde National Park, Royal Gorge, and mining ghost towns. When I was little my parents rented a jeep and we drove to visit some ghost towns in the mountains of Colorado but no one knows where that was. None of these are must do things either. Does anyone have an idea of where else we could look into going? And there is a burn ban for everything south of 160 in Colorado. Any help is much appreciated.

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Recommend Creede/Lake City area. Another place worth considering is the Williams Creek Reservoir West of Pagosa Springs. As I recall, it is about 4-5 miles West of Pagosa and 17 miles north of the highway. Beautiful lake with two or three snow capped mountains reflecting. Trout in the lake. County or state cleans the restrooms and collects trash daily.

Another consideration if you are hiking is the trail from Crested Butte to Aspen. A couple of safe houses along the way.

3. bmoore15

bmoore15 100+ Posts

Sabrehorn,
    Do you happen to know of any good privately owned campgrounds near Creede? It looks like this is where we are going to go but now need to find a good campground in case of needing to make reservations.

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Mountain View at Rivers Edge is really nice but may be RV only. At one time Colorado Lonesome Dove Campground was nice. You might contact the Creede Chamber of Commerce to see if any new ones are there.