Can I grow a eucalyptus tree in Dallas?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by BigXIIHorns, May 12, 2004.

1. BigXIIHorns

BigXIIHorns 25+ Posts

I love these trees. They grow tall, smell and look great. I see them in California and Florida but not in Texas. Can they grow in Texas? In Dallas? Have you ever seen them here? If so do you know what type? Any help would be great.

2. TxEx90

TxEx90 < 25 Posts

Planning to raise koala bears in the city, are we? The local coyotes will love that.

3. HookEm

HookEm 100+ Posts

Yes. There are several in the M-Streets, Preston Hollow, etc.

4. txzen

txzen 100+ Posts

These trees are like a horrible weed in California. Originally brought in from Australia to serve as railroad ties, the wood was found to be too soft. However, the lack of pests and competition has lead these trees to spread over the state. Because of the favorable weather, they grow much, much taller than normal. So tall, in fact, that they are not very stable and regularly drop large branches. Major pruning of the big groves around public spaces is a must.

Smell great, yes. They also drop leaves, bark and pollen like crazy - a real mess. An Australian colleage really hates the damn things, and calls their smell "their one redeeming feature". Maybe the weather/climate in Dallas will stunt them from getting too tall. I still wouldn't plant it near the house or my car. . .

5. BigXIIHorns

BigXIIHorns 25+ Posts

Hookem, do you know what kind? Where can I buy them?

6. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Odds are, you will lose much of the growth to hard freezes.