Cardinals Hire Kingsbury as Head Coach

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by stanhin, Jan 8, 2019.

1. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

2. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Kinda leaves USC holding the bag...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I actually wish him well. Good for him IF he wants a NFL gig

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The Bidwell family has never been known for overwhelming intelligence.

Sharpest knife in the drawer? Really more like a baby's spoon attacking a tough steak at Golden Corral.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

No different from any other profession. All about the bank account and resumé. ”NFL Head Coach" will now be what precedes his name forever.

6. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

You can’t make this up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

I was extra wrong about Patrick Mahommes, so maybe KK will be successful, too. But I don't think so.

8. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

9. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

He's gotta be better than Hue Jackson

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

This is just another feather in the a&m hat of coaching pedigree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

I’d be all for it if I was a fan of a losing nfl team. Teams can either recycle the same failed coaches like they always do or take a chance.

12. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

13. horninchicago

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Well, if KK, with a losing record in college, can land the Cardinals job, I would like to officially throw my hat into the ring for the J-E-T-S job. While frankly I don’t love the idea of leaving sunny, warm SoCal for NYC, I did just survive the New Year’s celebration there, and for $5,000,000/year (you see, I’m a bargain) I am willing to consider making the sacrifice. Furthermore, I am an advocate of prolific offensive production. I will instruct Darnold and my OC to score a minimum of 50 points per game. That should endear me to the impatient J E T S fans, and probably land my photo on the front page of the Post once or twice.

My credentials are even better than Kingsbury’s. I have NEVER lost a single game as a HC in college, not one! In fact, I have never lost a game as a football HC at any level.

Perhaps I should tell my wife and start packing my bags?

• Like Like x 2
  15. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

You have to wonder how much Coach Bro gouged "Dollar Bill" Bidwell for? Dollar Bill is the guy that all of us have worked for at one time or another, (until we could find the escape hatch), the type of guy who spends millions to steal nickles.

Real shame for Swann and his massive ego. Penis.

Good Luck Bro.
    :cowrose:

16. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Maybe Bru McCoy will be the new USC OC!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

The college coach shortcomings that caused Kliff to fail as a college head coach are by and large skills that are not relevant in the least in the NFL.

As such, I think he's got a chance to be successful. No one could successfully argue he's not a tremendous offensive mind--both schematically and personnel-wise. Tech has more WRs in the league than any other school, or at least they did upon season start.

He put 4 receivers in the NFL last year alone. And then, of course, there's the whole Mahomes, Keenum, Manziel Mayfield, Davis Webb phenomenon for a coach his age as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

But couldn't they have gotten him as the OC and gotten someone out of diapers to be the HC? Just saying...

19. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

His record was 35-40. He couldn't win with Patrick Mahomes or Baker Mayfield. In fact, after walk-on Mayfield went 5-0 as a starter and got injured, didn't offer him a scholarship the next year. All I can think of is that he "looks" the part. Sad, but we'll see. Who knows?

20. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I believe his response to that was to resign from USC...no longer an employee would mean that the decision by USC to deny permission ceased to be relevant.

I still don't agree with a coach that takes a job and then abandons ship inside of a month, a disturbing trend we have already seen multiple times this off-season. It will also contribute to the trend of the petulant little scholarship kids that want to transfer the moment they might have to wait a season or two to start...

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Rumor is the new SWT coach may leave to be KK's OC with the Cardinals.

22. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I generally agree with you.

However, getting a President offer from a Fortune 500 company after accepting a VP position at a large/local company would be an exception.

Head Coach in the NFL compared to OC at a college gig is a similar exception.

23. horninchicago

Good point, so it says the Cardinals are the pieces of crap in this situation. They must have approached KK knowing he just took another job. They probably would not like it if it happened to them.

Reminds me of private jet owners who will expect a pilot to pay back the cost of training if he leaves inside a year but will have no problem hiring another pilot who just received training and will save him money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Apparently Spav turned Kingsbury down. I do not know what makes less sense:
    1. KK being an NFL head coach;
    2. KK offering an NFL OC position to Jake Spavital; or
    3. The head coach of Texas State turning down an NFL OC job.

None of this computes.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  25. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

If Head Coach is like many State positions, retirement benefits are often conditioned upon the highest three years of salary. In such an instance, it COULD make more sense to forego the more immediate payout of an NFL OC position and try to get a few years of State salary for the retirement bank...

I just don't know enough about how the coach salaries plug into the process...I just know where my retirement was conditioned and why there is one particular position I am willing to go back to the State for at this stage in my career...

26. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

that's my take as well