Cards should starts?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by moondog_LFZ, Nov 7, 2021.

1. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I think you give Card the first team snaps this week and let him start against Kansas.
    Thompson had plenty of time.
    And he can still be inserted if Card stumbles.

2. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

3. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Ok so long as both are told to throw to somebody besides Bijan

insofar as the Travis County Savior is concerned, he needs to be gently reminded that an incompletion is better than a sack. Hanging on to the ball for 5 seconds is not an option with that O line

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Agreed.
    Either take off or throw out of bounds.
    I have also wondered if anything is being designed for a quick release.
    Quick slant routes? Quick TE release? Something?

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

If Casey is “reasonably” healthy — a big “if” — he starts for me and it’s an easy decision. Perhaps Card will develop over time but I have my doubts. I have been massively underwhelmed so far.

Keep this is mind: Casey’s issues started with the thumb injury in the RRR and were exacerbated by the violent and unpenalized roughing the passer hit the next week, against OSU. I think he’s hurt, and gunshy.

From what I have seen from Card this season, I’d rather have a 60% healthy Thompson behind center.

• Agree Agree x 8
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep, Casey just hasn’t been the same since his throwing hand got hurt. And Hudson requires decent pass blocking.

I’d take Pickett from Pitt as a grad transfer or a portal guy. Wake’s QB will go pro. I don’t think Pickett will be drafted high, but he sure can run a college offense. He scrambles. He throws short, medium, and deep. He’s like Casey, but a much better thrower. Pitt is a dead end platform. Despite our recent difficulties, we’re still Big Time. Hudson has promise, but I doubt the blocking will improve enough by next year for him to thrive. We need to hit the portal or grad transfers for a QB (and plenty of other positions including OL). .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

Watched UTSA last night, they use 3 different TEs. It was refreshing to see a team utilizing their TEs. Jared Wiley is a match up nightmare for any big 12 defense, but do we ever utilize him? Nope.:idk:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

ISU also sure knows how to use TEs.

• Hot Hot x 1
  9. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Horns threw to the tight ends multiple times. Passes were off target, dropped and the tight ends slipped and fell at least once.
    Our team is not executing. Defense and offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Agree 100%. It irks me when he actually has a lot of time in the pocket, he just sits there looking- looking- looking. You won't get an unlimited amount of time in the pocket..., move.

Aaron Rogers is the best at this, Brady too. Montana was the best I ever saw at this, but you don't have to play at that level to know you can't just sit there

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Post game Sark remarked something to the effect that he / coaches thought Casey's hand injury was affecting his throws so they put Card in.

I suspect his hand cannot heal playing week to week.

So, Sark is mostly stuck with Card. With little protection from the OL and Card lack of mobility, teams can scheme / defend the Horns with some ease. Card is a sack machine with this OL.

On top of this, the D cannot stop anyone....

So, how do you feel about 5-7, maybe worst case 4-8?

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Add to that list of reminders:

1) There are two sides of the field, not just the right side

2) The other team has players known as LBs & safeties; find them before the ball is snapped. It's called "reading the defense". It is good, we like it.

3) It is ok to throw the ball quickly

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  13. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

14. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

Move Roschon back to Quarterback. He is one of the few leaders we have.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Hot Hot x 1
  15. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Ironically, Roschon would be better than Card. He could average 5 ypc rushing!

• Like Like x 1
  16. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

This year, Casey Thompson has 6 interceptions; Card has zero. I wonder whether Card may have the viewpoint—especially with portals always on people’s minds—that a sack doesn’t go on his resume as much as an interception.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hard to throw a pick from the bench

18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Try 2 seconds. You're very, very generous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

He's had 3 full games.

20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

During which he has not found how many open WRs? Made how many bad reads? Held the ball long enough to buy 3 beers at the 7th floor concession stand.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Basically, 3 full games, 62 passes.
    Not a huge sample size. I’m just saying that when the pocket breaks down, which it mostly does, his default reaction is not to throw it up for grabs, but to take a sack.

I am not plugging him; I’m just wondering whether he has any motivation to protect his personal stats for ints. Could be they are telling him to take sacks if necessary rather than throw, I don’t know.

• Like Like x 1
  22. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Does it really matter other than making a bowl for this season?
    I would just as soon see Sark bench ANYBODY that isn't willing or capable of doing their job and playing backups the rest of the way.
    Hell, we may improve.
    Or maybe we just need to burn it to the ground before it will get better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  23. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Maybe he's not utilized because he's not very good?

24. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

He does receive coaching, right? I mean SARK is a guru, right? Does Sark deserve blame? Yes
    Did Sark tell him to go through progressions as he is standing there? I think so. But this is not Alabama we don't have the Hoss's to give Card enough time. Doesn't Sark realize that? Why hasn't Sark taught Card the nuances of the position?
    I would love it if we could emulate what Colt McCoy and Cosby accomplished. They had a special kind of timing. Colt was not afraid to throw and they were always on time. It was fun to watch.

25. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Give him a few more tries and he just might do it.

26. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

Apparently my earlier reply didn’t make sense. Move Roschon to quarterback!! Put the ball in the hands of a leader! Let Thompson and Card watch!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  27. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

It makes perfect sense, and I have said that starting with second half of oSu. Not likely to happen, but Roschon has the football smart to pull it off.

• Like Like x 2
  28. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

Neither one of our QBs is Colt.Colt also had a line and a receiver and he was a leader.Sark can lead them to water but he cant make them drink.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2021
  29. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

This^^^^^
    The last part.

30. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

Remember the waggle? When Joe Theismann would back pedal three steps and sprint to the left or right because he couldn’t see over the hogs! Made plays left and right! That’s what a smart heady Qb could do if you don’t trust your line.