Caribbean Vacation in June

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Aces_Full, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

I am looking for an all-inclusive resort for 3 nights, 4 days somewhere in the Caribbean that is at a resonable price.

I have found some good prices for the Riviera Maya area below Cancun, but I am somewhat leary of going there considering the state of their war on drugs.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

2. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

You will not have any problems below Cancun, Isla Mujeres is very nice. However, I have spent the last several summers in Negril, Jamaica and like it a lot. They have AI's there too, but personally I abhor AI's...

3. CalHornGal

CalHornGal 25+ Posts

San Pedro, Belize (on Ambergris Caye). Just a 3 hour non-stop flight to Belize City from DFW, IAH, ATL, or MIA...then a quick 15 minute local puddle jumper to paradise. The language is English and they take US Dollars, no visa or shots required. Don't waste your time on Belize City.....you'll find the same crime there that you're hearing about in Mexico. Head straight to San Pedro, or Placencia from BZE airport. I second skipping the all inclusives - get out and enjoy the country! However, if you need a full service resort, you'll find plenty on the north end of the island (Grand Caribe, Captain Morgans, Tres Coco's, MataChica, Tranquility Bay).... I don't think they're all inclusive, but they'll have everything you need at reasonable prices. If you have questions, send me a PM - I visit there quite often. Watched the Holiday Bowl from my favorite beach bar there this year! [​IMG]

4. bradford702

bradford702 100+ Posts

The Phoenix Resort-San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize

I stayed at a condo next door but this place is very nice. The island is super cool and laid back. If you are beach people Ambergris might not be for you because the reef protects all the beaches. Then again, the reef is great for fishing, snorkeling and scuba diving. There is a dive shop right outside the Phoenix that can set all this up for you.

As for the Riviera Maya, it all depends on the price you want to spend. We have stayed at Adult only and family resorts. The wife and I usually go once a year for a weekend get away. You are safe and as long as you don't do anything stupid you will be just fine. Last year we even rented a car an drove ourselves to Playa for the day for some shopping. AI's are great for laying by the pool or beach all day and drinking. AI's are for stress free, no thinking vacations. Just do not expect 5 star service and food and you will be just fine.

5. utmck

utmck 500+ Posts

Check out Playa del carmen.. 1 hour south of Cancun. The drug violence you see on TV is not in this area.

6. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

7. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

A busload of tourists just got robbed in Puerto Vallarta. It looks like we will be heading to Jamaica.

So Montego Bay, Negril, or Ocho Rios? Looking for adult all-inclusive.

8. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Negril is by far the best. Montego Bay is kinda trashy and beaches are not comparable. Ocho is nice, but the beaches are rocky. I know you say you want an AI, but personally, I don't care for them. I stay at Coco la Palma in Negril and have for years. Google it. And check with Negril one stop for info and bookings. It is right in the middle of Seven Mile beach. It is not the Ritz, but It is very clean, well laid out and the staff are great folks,,,Just my $.02's....