carl jr.s in Austin now

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Ramathorn, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Is it worth a visit? Are these the guys that put an egg on top of the burger?

2. TXSooner518

TXSooner518 250+ Posts

they have some solid options. it's not better than Whataburger or anything, but the more options you have the better.

3. Slomo Play

Slomo Play 25+ Posts

There used to be a Carl Jrs on Braker Ln just east of I-35. There is a Jack in the Box there now. Don't remember it as being anything remarkable except that it was open late. I'd put it a notch above Jack but not anywhere near Whataburger.

4. Math Mudrat

Math Mudrat 250+ Posts

5. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Do they do the egg on top of the burger? Or was that in n out?

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

In n Out does it. I am not excited about Carl's Jr. as much as I would be if it were In n Out.

But Five Guys, be excited they are in Austin.

7. achooloco

achooloco 100+ Posts

holy crap! when was that jack in the crack a carl's junior? i think its been a jack in the crack for almost 20 or more years...

8. Slomo Play

Slomo Play 25+ Posts

I'd say it was Carl Jrs. around '84-'86 or somwhere right around there.

9. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

So.. is it a secret? Where the hell is it located?

10. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Take it easy there, tons of fun.

Slaughter and there's one in Cedar Park, allegedly.

11. achooloco

achooloco 100+ Posts

yeah, i asked my pop today as we passed by braker and he reassured me it was a carls jr. said that the actual fast food joint only lasted a year or two but that the sign was there for much longer, even after jack in the crack had moved in. i believed earlier but damn, ever since i was little i remember that being a jack in the crack. just crazy. of all the things that have made me feel old this past year, this one actually makes me feel young for some reason.

as for this thread, i'll have to go check one out soon. any menu recommendations? only time i had a burger with egg was in argentina and there all the burgers had egg and ham on them along with anything else. not bad but definitely took a little getting used to.

12. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

609 West Slaughter @ S. First

13. Slomo Play

Slomo Play 25+ Posts

Just to add to the nostalgia, there was another one on N. Lamar somewhere between Braker and Rundberg. Also didn't last too long. Kind of weird that they failed here once and now they are making a reappearance. Has the menu changed that much?

14. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Whataburger absolutely and totally pawns every other fast food burger that exists. PERIOD.

15. VacantlyOccupied

VacantlyOccupied 500+ Posts

The Cedar Park one is under construction still.

It's at 183A and 1431, in front of the big, empty space formerly known as Circuit City.

16. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Puddle/Cruiser,
    What the hell? You want to trade Whataburger? For anything? I don't get that.

17. VO, has it finally closed down?

18. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

19. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

YoLa,
    try this on for size at a Whataburger... Jr. Whataburger, double meat, double cheese, all the way, grilled onions, grilled jalepenos.....

20. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

THEU..

sounds good. I will give it a shot. Although i am not much of a jalapeno guy.

21. VacantlyOccupied

VacantlyOccupied 500+ Posts

22. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Vacantly.. that is good too! I don't have a problem finishing that.. but I don't need that much.

Also, something about the ratio of bread to meat and cheese that makes the jr. a tad better....

23. hook1997

hook1997 25+ Posts

Seriously you guys need to go to Carl Jr and get one of the 6 dollar burger (its not $6 i don't know why its called that) but the quality of meat is head and shoulders above Jack in the crack and whataburger. Try the Guac and bacon if you like that stuff its real good. All black angus meat, you won't regret it.

24. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

hook,
    Not to say that th meat quality isn't better, but you do realise that 'black angus' is just a marketing gimmick by cattle raisers, right? I say that as someone whose family raises black angus. Essentially as long as you have a black cow bred to an Angus bull, the offspring are 'black angus' It doesn't take much to be labeled black angus. Also, you should know that while there are certain traits associated with breds of cattle (ie marbling, size of certian cuts), not all 'black angus' are necessarily going to be of the same quality.
    Now, that is not to say Carl's Jr. are bad burgers. I haven't had one (or a Hardee's) in quite a while. I just wanted to try to educate you on what is really a marketing scam.