Carpet Buying Questions

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Bevo71, May 9, 2009.

1. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts

I am having to replace water damaged carpet, so I have been looking around.

I am looking at Mohawk carpets. Found a color and style I like but the salesperson isnt telling me if it is the Aladdin style or Horizon style. When I went to the Mohawk website, I couldn't find the name of the color listed that is on the sample panel. The panel was in the Mohawk section of the store. Is this something they do to make it harder for folks to shop around?
    I want to get several estimates, but it is difficult if I cannot find the collection and style.

My other question... do any of you know about the Polyester carpet (PET) from recycled plastic bottles? I had read mixed reviews about it. Some rave about it; others think it is not as great. The sample board with the color I like has the PET carpet on it. How sturdy is that?

2. Dead Horse

Dead Horse 250+ Posts

3. HoustonHorn93

HoustonHorn93 250+ Posts

Carpet is treated very much like mattresses. Same exact thing will have multiple names depending on what store you shop at. Makes it very tough to do price comparison shopping.

4. shorty

shorty 250+ Posts

Do not buy polyester carpet! Polyester carpet does not have the "memory" to stand back up if a heavy piece of furniture sits on it. It will have an indentation and it will be permanent.

Also, you can litterally burn polyester carpet by skidding something across it fast. It does not catch fire but it does singe the polyester fibers thus leaving a permanent mark in the carpet.

Carpet is rolled up at the factory while it is still hot. If a roll of polyester carpet is rolled up with a wrinkle in it, the wrinkle will be in it permanently.

Polyester carpet is cheaper than nylon. Nylon carpet does have memory to stand back up and is not prone to have abrasion burns. If a piece comes in wrinkled on the roll, you normally can steam the wrinkle out of it.

5. shorty

shorty 250+ Posts

Plus, it will pack down in high traffic areas faster than a 100% nylong carpet and no amount of cleaning or raking will get the carpet to stand back up in high traffic areas.