Case McCoy

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by SyracuseHorn, Apr 3, 2011.

1. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

was the most impressive of the QBs in this game. It will be interesting to see how the position battle shakes out this fall.

*edited for spelling fail

2. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

3. trod24

trod24 100+ Posts

His footwork is bad though...in a real game I think he would have some real issues. Looks like Gilbert

4. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

Who is Case McCosy? [​IMG] I must have been watching the wrong Texas spring game.

Honestly, I think Gilbert was the most impressive. He had a craptastic start, but had a strong finish. Wood was decent throughout, but did not really do much to impress. McCoy did have some nice throws half the time, but the other half was very sloppy for him. He did not have his feet set, and would throw off of his back foot over and over again. It seems like more of a habit than just a one time mistake.
    My take is that Gilbert is better right now, but Case does have potential to be greater than Gilbert.

The offense kind of putzed around when Ash was in. It seemed a lot like he was nervous for a while just by the way he handled himself.

5. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

george, I agree. I think that Gilbert would have to have a complete fall practice meltdown for him to lose the starting job. What I want to see is strong leadership from Gilbert this summer.

6. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

I disagree.....I thought Wood looked more comfortable and in control.

7. Seasick Sailor

Seasick Sailor 25+ Posts

I'll second the opinion that Wood was the most impressive, but I think the job is probably Gilbert's to lose.

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I came away from the game/practice most impressed by Wood.

9. 90 Grad

90 Grad 500+ Posts

How many times was Colt's footwork questioned? He threw off his back foot alot. Results are all I want. Gilbert missed the wide open deep man throwing that terrible pick.

10. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

11. nodata007

nodata007 < 25 Posts

Wood was the best. Good pocket presence, great athleticism, great size, strong arm and good accuracy. So much upside and potential. Very impressed indeed.

12. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Case McCoy was clearly the better qb today. I know there are lots of variables, but he lead the better drives. So what if he threw wobbly balls off his back foot-they arrived into the intended receivers' hands, something lacking from all the other qbs out there.
    Case looked good, and consistent.

13. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

I did not think any of the qb's were that impressive. I think Gilbert will start but it he does not play well I expect him to be replaced. What is still a major concern is the lack of blocking from the offensive line. I think Texas would have had a dozen sacks if they would have let the defense play.

14. OrangeRB

OrangeRB 500+ Posts

"I think Gilbert will start but it he does not play well I expect him to be replaced."

Hopefully, but I have my doubts.

15. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

The guy that should play is the one who can best adapt to game conditions and be productive. At this point, I find myself thinking that is Case McCoy - and that surprises me.

16. Chalupa72

Chalupa72 250+ Posts

I'm the most disappointed with the way Gilbert looked. Still taking too long to make reads and get rid of the ball, still over and under-throwing his receivers. What's changed?

17. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

18. 1963_Frosh

1963_Frosh 250+ Posts

What repulsed me was how the announcers on ESPN3.com gushed over Gilbert. When he overhthrew, it was, "that was a good play because no one intercepted.." blah, blah. It reminded me how the announcers gushed over Greg Davis at the A&M game last November. Wait ..., maybe that's a good sign, because Greg is gone. [​IMG]

19. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

I think an important point that hasn't been mentioned is that GG was going against the second team defense and was just as good as he was last year.

Case was going against the first team defense and scored a TD drive and lead a TD drive against the second team defense. He may have made some bad throws based on his footwork but he did make good decisions and he didn't really have any passes that could have been picked off.

I really wanted GG to show some progress but in reality he hasn't and Case did make a strong case (no pun intended...ok maybe a little) for him to be given consideration to at least share some snaps early next year.

The problem with Case's mechanics is something that can be corrected if he is given the opportunity to be a starter. His play and decision making is what I noticed that set him apart from the other QBs. I think that is GG's problem is that he doesn't make the correct choices and he presses his passes hoping it has the right outcome.

I don't think we could really give Wood a fair shake since he only had a handful of snaps with the first team but he still looked better playing than GG.

Sorry that I don't share the same assessment as the others in regards to GG but I do know that he is not the answer to our offense.

20. TOF

TOF 25+ Posts

Announcers sounded like they were judging ballet movements instead of who got it done. Don't mistake me, I know and like the Gilbert family but in my view Case was the real McCoy today.

21. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Gilbert is not a good QB.

23. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

24. I_Live_In_OK

I_Live_In_OK 500+ Posts

For what it's worth, all looked better than Bradford did in the '07 Red/White game, because Sam Bradford seemed like he sucked.

25. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

Mechanics were not that great with McCoy but I think he had the best performance. Wood was good but Gilbert just didn't have it. Seems like he was not ver accurate as usual and although he did recover after the pick... I just question his .... leadership... and decisions. McCoy had bad mechanics but he seemed like a gamer. I wish we could have seen more of Ash.

26. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I haven't been as down on Gilbert as some others, given the general meltdown of the whole team and coaching staff last year. That being said, it's getting tiresome hearing about Gilbert having all the tools coming out of Lake Travis H.S. That was three years ago. He needs to step up his performance now. His mechanics need to improve. His decision-making needs to improve. He needs to drastically speed up his release.

It can't be comfortable having a McCoy behind you and pushing for playing time. Neither Gilbert nor McCoy looked like the second-coming this afternoon, but on the whole, McCoy 2.0 seemed to manage the game better and play within his skill set better than Gilbert. Now if McCoy can just fix that whole "throwing off of his back foot" thing, I think he has a legitimate chance to push to start by the fall. He's got the bloodlines.

27. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Case was clearly the best QB out there. If there are footwork issues then those can be worked on. What can't be worked on is Gilbert's seemingly inability to see the field and find the open WR quick enough. Add to it Gilbert's slow mechanics. Case was getting the ball out of his hands very quickly and accurately. He was finding the open guys and making plays. That to me is what we want our QB to be doing.

Wood also looked good but Case was the one sticking it in the endzone. Ash looks like he is going to be something special. He is tall and throws with a high release vs. what Gilbert does.

The race though should still be open through the summer and the 7 on 7 workouts. Come back in August and we'll start to find out who the team is supporting as their favorite.

28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Let's not make too many quick judgments off of a very small sample set of about a dozen passes each.

29. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts

McCoy absolutely was the best QB today.

Gilbert looked just like he did last season. I think we are past the point of expecting things to suddenly change.

This is shaping up a little bit like the debate of 10 years ago in terms of the heralded recruit vs. the smallish up-and-comer, which could not be more ironic considering who is co-OCing.

Results are the bottom line. Today was the day to show what you've got. McCoy showed it. GG did not. I am absolutely not claiming the competition is over by any stretch. I am just saying McCoy would have my vote if the season started tomorrow.

30. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts