CB starters

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by old65horn, Sep 6, 2019.

1. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Hope to get some insight about our dept chart for the LSU game from more knowledgeably poster, whick includes almost all posters.

Why is Boyce listed as the starter for CB as well as Green. Based on what I saw in The La Tech gamem it doesn't seem to make since having Boyce as as a cornerback starter while Cook is list as a replacement for Green.

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Cook might learn more from backing up Green. I dunno. Also, I suspect Jamison and Boyce to alternate playing quite a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Exactly. While Green is the best so far, the other three are at the same level more or less. There are really 4 CB, but Green and one other will dominate in snap count.

4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

So this means none of the others separated themselves in the "celebration dance after allowing a completion" competition in practice this week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

MY concern is Sam throwing the ball high and hard.
    I also wonder if a Lsu guy is going to try to jump a route on those straight sideline throws. I know I would.

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Every team Texas plays will try. So far Sam and the receiver have won.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Don't get me started ...

I'm giving him every benefit of the doubt, in that he's still young and was thrust into a situation last year where he was arguably in over his head. He has all the "measureables" and physical skills to be a good CB. So he could turn out to be really, really good by the time he's done here at UT. I hope he continues to improve with experience.

Another possibility (just speculation--I don't know if this is the case with Boyce) is that he may be one of these guys who practices like a champion but doesn't rise to the occasion when it's show time. Like I said, he has all the raw skills and physical potential. He's got to get better in the games though--I can't sugar coat that. There is sometimes a very painful growth curve at CB. We've seen this with other young CBs before who turned into stars as Jrs and Srs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  8. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Who ????? I have never seen a guy look BAD and then become DBU GOOD !!!!! They may get better, but never DBU good. I agree there are practice All-Americans out there for sure. There are also guys who may not practice well, but kick total a** in games when the lights come on !!! There are RBs and WRs who are like that at a lot of schools.

9. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

I am afraid that the corner play on one side will taint the DBU image in this game and lead to points. I hope that I am wrong, but from what I saw last week, the fundamentals are not there,
    And while coaching up is possible, it takes more than a few weeks to break some of those bad habits.

I need to be wrong on this one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Probably before your time, but Mark Berry and Grady Cavness come immediately to mind. More recently, Carrington Byndom.

11. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Michael Huff got better over time but was never a liability.

Let’s see what Boyce and Jamison can do opposite Green. They will need help over the top. Green wasn’t that great last week either. CB is our Achilles heal on D and LSU knows this. We’ll see a lot of cowboy package and cloud coverage. This may be weak between the 20’s but see how the secondary plays closer to the LOS in the red zone tomorrow. We will force field goals and get a turnover because of that. Orlando’s scheme gets stronger as the defense gets backed into the red zone. He will try to mask this young CB weakness with numbers. I think it will work but we may give up some yards, like last week. LSU does not have that strong of a run game this year. I think we can make them more one dimensional than they can us!

Our secondary on D and our O Line on O, that’s how we win tomorrow. If we fail in those areas. We lose. I don’t believe we’ll fail.

12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I recall Chykie Brown and one other who were pretty bad at first but developed very nicely in their 4 years here.

13. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

With Boyce it’s not just his coverage (or lack of it) but his tackling was horrible. He completely whiffed several times. That could be a killer today especially since swamp aggy has gone to short passing game. Corner inexperience is covered up by constant pressure on the qb hopefully we can get it with bringing 5 at the most. No pressure and the defense will struggle.

14. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Bryant Westbrook took his lumps before really developing Same with Quintin Jammer.

Every first time starter is going to struggle before coming on. Texas is going to make the LSU freshmen struggle

I can tell you this, I guarantee Boyce won't be making the same mistakes he made last week. I know he got ear full after those bone headed plays. BTW I don't consider that PI a bone headed play, if you get beat, don't give up the big play.

15. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Well, we can all agree the Texas secondary will be a major key to winning this game. I am not concerned at any other position group.

16. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Every DB looked bad under Strong and Bedford because they were not coached well. I remember them being totally lost in coverages a few years ago. Now a lot of them are in the NFL.

17. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Don’t be surprised if early on Jamison, or Cook or ............... Caden Stern moves over to CB, BJ moves to safety, and Overshown Moves to BJs spot. That was actually talked about on the Horn the other day. But if Stern does move over during the game means things have started really bad for us.

18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Who? Just a few examples: Grady Cavness, Willie Mack Garza. Both awful as Freshmen, but very, very good as upperclassmen—both clearly a part of our great DBU legacy!!!

19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It’s largely a recruiting failure lingering from the last regime — not having enough good seasoned CBs at the Jr and Sr level.

Look for a lot of personnel rotation at that CB position today (and the first half of the season). Boyce probably won’t take 75% of the snaps, or even close to that.

Don’t write the guy off just yet. That being said, his show boat celebration on his missed pass break up made him look really stupid.

20. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

For me biggest turnaround was the ‘Q’. Jammer has a rough intro year.

• Like Like x 1
  21. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I worry about a jumped route too. Last week we used Douverney as another RB getting him the ball in space. Just don't think we can go to that well much tonight. I think we make up for the RB position with Sam. My guess is 18-21 carries tonight. He's the X factor you can't account for. He's the reason we win.

22. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

I don't recall many of those DBs mentioned looking BAD. ( All DBs get burned once in a while against good teams ). Some of those who did look less than DBU good didn't necessarily get DBU good, but improved. Also most were true Freshmen when they had any strugggles. This corner is not a true Freshman. Naturally a player is going to improve over time if they get good coaching.The CHARLIE STRONG ERA doesn't count. Those guys got horrible coaching, and then those lucky enough to get some work with Orlando's staff naturally got ten times better. I hope our corner just had a bad day...We are supposed to be DBU....Our DBs should never play like THAT against anyone, especially a non-power 5 team.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  23. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

If Sam carries that many times we not only lose, but we will lose the OSU game because he will miss it due to injury. We win if Ingram, Eagles, Smith, and or Burt have a great game...LSU will take away Johnson and Duvernay.....

24. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Another was Cedric Griffin. IMO he was terrible, then the light went on in the game at Fayetteville, in 2004 I think. He later started for the Vikings for a few years. So, it can happen.

25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The other was Curtis Brown, I believe. He couldn’t tackle at all but was improved greatly in that area by senior year.

26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Byndom? Wasn't he the other way around? Didn't he peak as a sophomore?

27. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Chris Brown hasn't been mentioned much.
    Thought he looked good when on the field last week in limited action. Not sure what his level of versatility is/packages they prefer him in...
    Anyone know where he stands in all this?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Boyce gets the start

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Also John Burt at WR

30. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Wait ....is he starting instead of Eagles?