CDC: Please start looking for a new Basketball HC NOW!!

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Horn87, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Because neither hire was about having winning programs. They were about something else.

And ...
    [​IMG]

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

If an incompetent person keeps their job because it is too expensive to get rid of them, this seems to indicate an equally incompetent person structured the deal.

Or maybe that’s just the cost of doing business with high-profile coaching jobs. I don’t know, but there has to be a better way of doing this. Incentives rather than guarantees. Prove your value.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Joe,

Around here we use PC and refer to it as "Little Billie's Legacy".

Dion,

In the real world, it is called "gross negligence". Of course, everyone knows educrats don't live in the real world.

:deadhorse: :hookem2:

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

So, the root of all this is a football graduate assistant getting a BJ from a student trainer? That was one expensive BJ.

• WTF? WTF? x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  5. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Yep, Powers hired both Strong and Smart and now his little toadie Fenves will fire both Strong and Smart. Looks like little toadie Fenves ends up on the losing side of the Wikipedia bio competition.

6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

My response to that would get me banned for life, but it might be worth it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

CdC has taken a step in the right direction by declaring that assistant coaches only get one year contracts going forward.

The HC (and probably some assistants) issue is more complicated because some schools will bid against themselves (see aggy football).

8. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

No NCAA tourney in year 3 or 4 (seems like year 100) has to get Smart fired. Can anyone see any upside? The team seems to get worse every year.

9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Smart will be gone, but not soon enough. Then, again, he should never have been hired.

If he is fired, he should NOT be paid off, but rather given an office next to Billie Powers, and told, "this is your office and your phone. No car, no cell, no computer, no secretary - get your own. You will be here at 8 AM until 5 PM, Monday through Friday with one hour for lunch. Billie is available for your necessary conversation."

In the interim, HornFans needs to help Chris by compiling the virtues of several suitable replacements, which can be delivered by Dion

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Which is pretty much what Abe did. He needed X period of time to be fully vested in the state retirement plan, so he just kept coming back to his office everyday. Answered his phone "Former Coach Lemons office". Deloss made sure that with Abe's time at Pan Am, he was fully vested and got him out of there.

For those who never got to live the Lemons Experience, you missed something. Additionally, he was a hell of a coach.

:texasflag::hookem2:

• Like Like x 4
  11. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Mr Finger should be invited to watch tonight's 6A game between Duncanville and Klein Forest. FOCUS! Sharp passing, quality defense (both man & zone), and discipline. Compare those two teams' performances to today's debacle.

Neither of those coaches is ready for P5, but neither is paid 6 figures much less 7.

We supposedly took in $12 million in basketball last year. Top grossing basketball school is UNC with $17 million, so the fiscal side isn't that bad, but butts in seats & fan appeal are fleeting.

13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Lemons description of traveling to Fayetteville, AR was priceless - You can parachute in; but you cannot parachute out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

So, we're dancing around it. Strong and Smart were legacy hires as the first black head coaches at The University of Texas. Did we try to hire the Stanford coach? I think we kicked the tires. What about the Penn State coach (Franklin?) who was at Vanderbilt? Why didn't we hire him? Hasn't he done a great job? And he came from an academically prestigious university.

I didn't know much about Smart except that Dick Vitale hyped him up quite a bit. I wasn't disappointed with that hire at the time but again, I didn't know much about him. Maybe this place is just too difficult to build a real program. How can Barnes go to Tennessee and go viral? Same guy right?

I know what everyone is thinking; when you narrow your focus to race you have tied one arm around your back because it's hard to logically argue that not one white coach in America (especially given the resources of the University/boosters) was better than Strong or Smart. So Powers (RIP) was able to sleep at night; he did the right thing in his mind which was to give a black man a chance. I am emotionally sympathetic to what he did but intellectually I believe he should have just pursued the greatest coach that money could buy. The university was owed that. The fanbase and the money flowing in demands that no stone be unturned in the pursuit of excellence. To say we will only look under certain stones is putting yourself above the entire program.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Oh wow! As soon as I posted that just above I read that Powers has passed away. It's on the Statesman.

16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

No, and he's an ******* anyway

Franklin has more baggage than Southwest Airlines. Better chance of hiring Jackie Sherrill. Besides, State Penn ignores "baggage" and justifies wrong doing like rape.

17. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Ok. I'll defer to you on that. I was just trying to determine who the pool of black head-coaching talent may have been back then. I suppose they needed a name coach and Charlie had enough success to make it look good.

So from what you know, Charlie was a nice guy and ran a clean program at Louisville which separated him from Franklin?

18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Loserville has NEVER and will NEVER be clean. Probably the best black college HC was Tyrone Willingham and forcing him to take the ND job when he didn't want to changed him dramatically, just like that job changed Lou Holtz/

Charlie was somewhat successful at Loserville with Petrino's bought and paid for players. He is not, however, and never will be in Petrino's class as a coach. Petrino is a really good coach, and in my dealings with him one on one, a really good guy, who will go out of his way to help you/

19. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Clean... what a concept. Can you beat OU cleanly?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Fred Akers was 5-4-1 against em

• Like Like x 2
  21. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I'll chime in and say that David Pierce better keep winning or there'll be another vacancy that needs an EEO spot to fill. What do ya think? The first transgender/gay/minority/disabled/atheist/lefthanded? college baseball coach in history? (all due respect to lefties out there)…..

22. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Image that, the rowing team going around in circles with all those lefties...

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

How do you know we narrowed our focus. It didn't seem like we did at the time. Especially since we made such a similar choice the next time around.

24. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Well it is true that I don't really know. I was reading the tea leaves around here and it seemed the consensus was that Powers made a couple of hires that were narrow; i.e. he was determined to hire the first black coaches for the football and basketball programs. If he truly had an open field and settle on Strong and Smart then I stand corrected. I certainly am not going to the mattresses over it.

25. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i hookem bystander for bringing up a factor, even if it's not the be all/end all reason. it's ok to acknowledge.

and in my mind, i'm ok taking a big swing at the race thing. but when you're wrong on a pick, it is what it is.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  27. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

In response to Mesohorny's post:

I think Shaka has lost the confidence of his team. Especially after the ttu game where Shaka's game plan (?) was easily defeated by Beard from the jump. Shaka had absolutely nothing in response. For example, NO adjustments to get Febres good shots. He never moved Febres off the pre planned spots (which have been the same ALL season) with sets, screens, etc to confuse or disrupt the ttu defense.

Sure the ttu defense is good. But aren't we expecting our coach to be good too? Don't we expect our coach to be able to recognize and react successfully to good defense or offense from opposing coaches? We are in the B 12 after all.

i think the players are arriving at these conclusions: its up to them to shoot a percentage that is unsustainable to consistently win with Shaka's plan; Shaka cannot help out in crunch time with plays/sets to get a good shot to win; Shaka cannot help them when the opposing coach schemes to take away a player's strength--Shaka's arsenal is very limited.

After so many failures--both expected (ttu, Michigan) and unexpected (osu, Radford, Providence, blowing 19 point second half lead at bu, TCU blowing the team out at our house with so much on the line) I can see how the players would lose confidence.

Just like our fanbase knows, Our players also know that the recruiting classes have been much better than TCU's, ttu, Bu, ou, osu, isu, wvu or ksu. They know we haven't been able to consistently beat those teams--much less KU.

Shaka is a fine person, the players like him, he recruits well. Obviously, at the B 12 level those qualities alone aren't enough.

• Like Like x 3
  28. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Jamie Dixon or Chris Beard? Discuss.

29. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Beard is the right answer! But they better jump for him ASAP

30. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

+1